Zipp SC Trad Bend Bars - WTF, have they changed??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Got my pair of Service Course SL trad bend bars yesterday. And the bend on this set is more like an ergo bend. Though it has 'TB Traditional Bend' in the graphics on the inside of the drops.

zipp_sc_sl_trad.jpg

Have Zipp changed their bend profiles? Because it doesn't look like these:

download/file.php?id=41672&mode=view

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0703/ ... MG2870.jpg

Which belong to MARLON and Onelove

And it really doesn't look like the profile on the Zipp Bar Profiles PDF
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

phallenthoul
in the industry

by phallenthoul

http://www.zipp.com/bars/service-course-sl-bar/#
no they have not..
"change" is kind of the opposite of "traditional"..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Any explanation as to why the bars in my picture look nothing like the bend in the other pictures then?
-
Finsbury Park CC

phallenthoul
in the industry

by phallenthoul

you should ask the guy or the shop who sold you the bars..

mythical

by mythical

Those Zipps are definitely not traditional or "classical"-looking like other Italian bend bars. In fact, they look more like the "short 'n shallow" ones to me. I'd say return 'em to whoever you purchased them from and request the correct bend once again.

Last edited by mythical on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

CrimsonKarter21

by CrimsonKarter21

Yep, those are the Zipp Traditionals and no they haven't changed them. From some angles they look liketraditional drop bars, and they feel really similar in your hands. I've been using them this past year and it's a very slight change from the traditionals I've always used, but I like it.

Summary: There was no mixup. Check Zipp's site.

KWalker

by KWalker

I can confirm this as well. I've ridden the bars and had customers that ordered them as well. They were all a bit hesitant, but loved the bars after riding them. They feel identical to a traditional bend bar in the drops until you crunch your hands up to reach the brake levers and then they feel like they have a bit more to grab onto.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

boots2000

by boots2000

Certainly possible that Zipp pulled a change on the Aluminum Traditional bars.
I know that the opposite happened at our shop.
We were super stoked about the shape of the Service Course Short and Shallow bar- looked a lot like a Ritchey Evolution in terms of reach, drop and shape of drop.
Owner thought it would be cool to have same bar in carbon- ordered up a short and shallow carbon.
Shape on carbon bar was quite different- angle on drop very different and not as good.

CrimsonKarter21

by CrimsonKarter21

The bars really are tricky, some angles they look like a really nice traditional bend with a long drop, and others they look ergo. If you like traditional bars, these will be awesome. Mine are great.

yongkun

by yongkun

i got a pair of those. am using them. more ergo than trad.
not that i didnt know before i bought them.

nitropowered

by nitropowered

Just FYI, Zipps Short and Shallows kind of suck with Sram levers. I bought a set of SS and they were off my bike in a week. Lucky me, Zipp did a stupid interbike deal on carbon bars so I bought a set of Traditional.

Traditional bend is much better, though they aren't true "traditional" italian bend like a Deda Newton

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

deleted...

finner

by finner

The traditional bend in the aluminium series is not the same as the carbon. Theres a flat spot on the curve of the drops that looks terrible from some angles but after taping is much less noticeable. I replaced a set of newton shallows with these and they set up much flatter to the hoods with shimano which is what I wanted.

gospastic

by gospastic

nitropowered wrote:Just FYI, Zipps Short and Shallows kind of suck with Sram levers. I bought a set of SS and they were off my bike in a week. Lucky me, Zipp did a stupid interbike deal on carbon bars so I bought a set of Traditional.

Traditional bend is much better, though they aren't true "traditional" italian bend like a Deda Newton

Why do you think the S&S suck with SRAM levers? Mine work fine as far as I can tell.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

finner wrote:The traditional bend in the aluminium series is not the same as the carbon.

I think that's what caught me out. I saw the Contour trad bars in a shop and loved the bend. Then I bought the SCSL version so I could try them out before laying down the insane cost of the carbon ones.
-
Finsbury Park CC