brakes--mini-v's or shortys?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

LloydP

by LloydP

i'm in the process of building up a cross bike based on the new planet-x frame, though it's not going to be a particularly weight-weenie build due to budget constraints. though the fact that it'll be a singlespeed ought to keep the weight down :wink: if anyone's curious i can post a build list later on when i've got more time

anyway, the real question is do i go for the Tektro mini-v brakes or the Avid Shorty Ti's? I've got both already, it's merely a matter of choosing which ones... what would you do? power, mud clearance, etc?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

go for the avid solution, mini v-brakes have too much stopping power for a cross bike and not enough mud clearance

TiMoots

by TiMoots

Since is going to be a singlespeed (you won't need shifters) I would use full size Vs with Diacompe 287-V levers. I have them and like them.

Which Planet-X frame are you getting?

LloydP

by LloydP

i've already gone with the shorty ti's and some cane creek scr-5 levers actually...just waiting for a couple last bits so i can finish building it up (hopefully next weekend or this week some time)

i got one of the Uncle Johns when they were on the pre-order offer. so far it looks really nice...not that i've ridden it yet!