Ti bolt thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

So ti bolts are a pretty common mod on here so I thought that I would start a thread about them, but not because I'm overly concerned with weight.

I work by the Waterfront in Washington and I've noticed that even some of my stainless bolts are starting to corrode just from being near moisture so often. I've decided to try and get some cheap ti bolt kits to start replacing some of the affected items.

Other than Toronto Cycles, what are some good sources in the US? EU?

What locations are safe to use them?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SL58

by SL58

Stay away from Racebolts -you'll pay the money but you'll never see your bolts.
In general many sites selling Ti stuff cater to motorcycling, they are flashy and
look modern but they do not have small sizes in stock and it takes months to deliver.

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

I've been having good luck with bolts from this place:

http://hyperbolts.com/catalog/index.php

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Can't believe you had a go at StuTheWeak the other day about his brake post and then you start this thread!

Here's the list started by madcow (probably should be made a sticky again) which will give you some ideas. Sub in Ti for the aluminium.
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6953

http://www.probolt-usa.com are good quality bolts etc and they have some cycle specific stuff.

The only place I'd avoid Ti is for a Campag Ultra Torque crank bolt. I've seen them on Ebay but they're of questionable quality.
From a safety aspect only use good quality Ti bolts for a stem or seatpost.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

5 8 5 wrote:Can't believe you had a go at StuTheWeak the other day about his brake post and then you start this thread!

There's a clear difference. KWalker is starting a thread about bolts. Specifically, resources of bolts. Not "what bolt should I get?" Not "what size bolt do I need?" (although those are useful too, and as you pointed out lists already do exist with some searching)
Furthermore, he has not started countless threads for each individual component of a build in progress.
THAT is what StuTheWeak is doing: starting a separate thread for each individual component choice for his build.
Very big difference.

Please continue, KWalker.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

BackRoadsBiker

by BackRoadsBiker

I haven't ever looked for bike tuning stuff, but McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com) is a great resource for all things hardware. I know they have lots of stainless, so I'd assume they have ti stuff as well, but IDK if it's appropriate for cycling applications.
This board and the world in general would be a much nicer place if everyone could just take themselves a little less seriously.

Colin

by Colin

I've had good luck with http://www.titaniumfasteners.com/shop/. They ship fast, and they're reasonably priced.

Ti bolts are safe for everything, Pro downhill racers use them for everything!

TOflat

by TOflat

www.torontocycles.com

I bought a bunch of stuff off here and it's great quality with fast shipping and even better pricing.

lechat

by lechat

Jersey Cycles seems to be affiliated with Toronto. Their sites are almost identical, as are their pricing.
If you're in the US, the shipping time from Jersey is 3 or 4 times quicker.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

SL58 wrote:Stay away from Racebolts -you'll pay the money but you'll never see your bolts.
In general many sites selling Ti stuff cater to motorcycling, they are flashy and
look modern but they do not have small sizes in stock and it takes months to deliver.

same here. i had to call my bank and to get a chargeback from racebolts.

TCx

by TCx

5 8 5 / Madcow is the list of bolt sizes still the same as that posted in the original thread (info quite old now) and do you know how it stands for Di2 ? (obviously some bits will be the same, but what about the front and rear mech bolts?).

I've just ordered from Toronto (hollow rear mech hanged for Di2) hope it's goin to be ok when it gets here. Just had a look on 'probolt' (I'm UK based) and the prices are a fair bit more expensive than elsewhere :shock: happy to go with them if the quality is that much better, but I need to make sure I order the right thing first time!
Thanks for your help :thumbup:

theremery

by theremery

Toronto and Jersey cycles ARE affiliated. They are run by 2 brothers (the Muffolettos)<-spelling may be dodgy.
J+L stuff is very light but I have had some issues with poor fitting allen key heads (lose, so they round out too easily).
Issues with Toronto I've struck are c/o anodising being very "unmatching". 3 distinct shades of blue made a custom bolt tune on my g/f's t.t. bike a bit of a catastrophy..
The hollow mech mounting bolt will be fine. their 3.5g ones are excellent and also last a very very long time. The shimano ones also fit C10 mechs with the use of a thin plastic shim (I made mine from an icecream container).
J+L have some well priced bolt kits in plain Ti and tiodised too on ebay.....quality??...hmmmm..... :?:
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

Max Gravity

by Max Gravity

http://exeneli-store.com Worked for me, took some time since I ordered some bolts that was not in stock, odd ones.
But they had them and I got them. (long M6 for a tribar etc.)
Max Gravity, unfairly treated by gravity!

StuTheWeak

by StuTheWeak

Think this is the pot calling the kettle black.

(that's 698 postings, but who's counting?)
Specialized Allez 06' "Rain Bike" 21.50lbs
Neuvation F100 11' "Road Bike" 16.80lbs
Specialized Tarmac Pro 11' "WW Bike" 14.25lbs

SL58

by SL58

I attempted to order from http://exeneli-store.com/ and they slap me with
$32 delivery for $4 bolt. What am I doing wrong?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com