Wooden RENOVO R1 road bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

inthedrops

by inthedrops

Very cool, can't wait to see the progress.

Here's another wooden bike built by a woodworker. Perhaps it has some value to see?
http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/articles/stolpmann/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

The Dura Ace looks incredible, so much envy right now :)

modebo

by modebo

Can't wait to see the finished product. I would not put any loud colours on it, just black and the metal colour of the dura ace. Cables, i think the black ilink's would look nice.

And by the way are you the same person i just bought the Scott frame from on Marktplaats?
Klein q-pro xx
Colnago Master Olympic 1996
Scott Cr1 Team 2004 custom
Litespeed Vortex 2000

tonytourist

by tonytourist

You need at least a set of these for some pictures 8)
http://www.wheelbuilder.com/store/cerch ... -rims.html

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

@Inthedrops: that fixed gear bike does indeed look amazing! Looks a bit like a Softride bike.

@Chronsy: the Cane Creek 110 reserve is pretty cool, unfortunately it costs over $600 :shock:

I will probably go for Shimano Dura Ace grey cables, to match the rest of the group. I-links would also be nice, but I am afraid they might be a bit too much for the frame.

The best option for a headset seems to be the Chris King silver one. I have looked at quite a few other, but none of them come close. Maybe a Chris King TI?

Concerning the rims, I did (and do) indeed concider Cerchio Ghisallo rims. In the past, you could only inflate the clincher rims to about 4 bars, but now they also have a rim with a carbon inlay which enables you to inflate them up to 8 bars. The only problem with them is that the braking surface is a layer of clear coat. Once the clear coat wears away, the wood becomes susceptible to weather influences. I might try them anyway, because they look amazing and even better in combination with the polished Dura Ace hubs:

mrfish

by mrfish

That's an interesting project.

I would definitely get some tubular wood rims. You're not exactly building an everyday bike, so no problem to use tubs. Probably I'd use some square profile ordinary rims for everyday use though. The other option might be to add wood veneer to a carbon rim. You could leave the carbon braking surface uncovered. That might look good and would be no heavier than an aluminium rim.

And after my experience of re-varnishing my stairs (dead easy, much quicker than I thought) I think an occasional rub down on the wood rims followed by a coat of varnish would be fine. I'd suggest Sadolin ultra durable floor varnish ;-)

bally81

by bally81

The wanking Duffy Duck exactly describes it !

:beerchug:
Caad 10
Bianchi EV3
Canyon Speedmax AL

Bling

by Bling

Really happy to hear you're going with the wood rims!

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I can't help but think that this is going to be a very uncomfortable ride :noidea: Especially since its not hollow like the bamboo bikes.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

The frame is actually almost entirely hollow. Just check out the picture below of the inside of a Renovo R4. According to Renovo, wooden frames have a very smooth ride.

I contacted the distributor of Ghisallo rims today and I dediced to give the wooden clincher rims a try with carbon inlay. I was sent a couple of colours and rim shapes. I will try to post the rim shapes tomorrow. Hopefully you can help me decide on the colour that will match the frame best.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Ohhh. That looks better. I thought it was going to be a solid block.

Thenewguy11

by Thenewguy11

These bikes look incredible in person, no doubt this one will be a beaut as well. I'm interested in seeing the wooden rims built up and hearing how they ride. Good luck.

Dman

by Dman

Check out these CB Italia rims I recently had built up. The person I had build them has experience with Cerchio Ghisallo rims and said the CB Italia were a better finish and less 'soft'. I have no experience on the Ghisallo and was considering them myself. The builder was so happy he's ordering a set himself so consider them also.

Pics:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=88999&p=769206#p769206

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

@Dman: Thanks for your advise. I just contacted CB Italia rims, but unfortunately on their clincher rims, tires can only be inflated up to 5,5 bar/80PSI and I plan to ride the rims at around 7 bar/100PSI. That sucks a bit, because the rims from Ghisallo are almost twice as expensive as the ones from Ghisallo. That probably has a lot to do with the fact that you can buy CB Italia rims straight from the factory.

Dman

by Dman

Yes, they were EXCELLENT value, I couldn't believe the price shipped to Aus! That's a shame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com