Wooden RENOVO R1 road bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Hi everyone,

You might have come across my earlier posts on my previous Ridley Noah bike, Fixie Inc 953 frame and Scott CR1 frame. The last three I sold almost immediately after I received them, because I already had a new project in mind. The same goes for the '03 Litespeed Ghisallo frame that came in after the CR1. However, I have finally settled on the frame for my new bike: a Renovo R1 :D

After sending a couple of e-mails back and forth with Nick Wood from Renovo Hardwood Bicycles, I decided to buy a Renovo R1 that was already halfway finished (i.e. the front triangle was already built). The frame features padauk wood in the main triangle with an accent stripe of curly maple and inner layers of birch wood in the rear stays. I hope to receive the frame somewhere in December, but here are some pictures of the frame in its current state. I hope you like it.

I had planned to built up the frame with mostly Campy Record 10-spd parts, combined with a Tiso RD, a Tiso cassette, KCNC C7 brakes and Xentis Mark 1 wheels (clear coated). However, yesterday I got a chance of a lifetime to buy a brand new Shimano Dura Ace 25th anniversary groupset :shock: . Although it is shame to start using such a rare groupset in NOS condition, it would also be a shame to just keep it as a collectors item.

I will use as much of the groupset on my bike as I can. The headset is not going to fit, because it is 1" and threaded. The seatpost is also too small (I need a 31.6mm), but I plan to buy a shim (U.S.E.?) to make it work anyway. I am in doubt of using the pedals, because I have read several reviews on them being very hard to clip out of. Other parts (all black) will be: Deda Newton Shallow handlebars, Deda Zero stem 100 (both black), Fizik Arione CX saddle.

There are a couple of things I would like to have your advise on:

- What fork should I get? (I think a 3T Funda or Reynolds Ouzo Pro would look nice)
- What headset should I get (probably Chris King or Tune Bobo, but I am not sure of the colour(s))
- What rims should I use for the wheels? (Mavic Open Pro, Stans ZTR 340, or something higher maybe)?
- What colour cables should I go for? (I have some white Jagwire Racer cables lying around, but I doubt that those will look good)

Thanks for you looking and thanks for you comments!
Last edited by Fatbiker on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:53 am, edited 31 times in total.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

whats a frame like that weigh? It looks like my Gibson Guitar! :mrgreen:
Very interesting. I wonder how itll ride?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

crohnsy

by crohnsy

Cane creek makes a headset with wood inlay... The 110 Reserve iirc

elviento

by elviento

12lbs?

gumgardner wrote:whats a frame like that weigh? It looks like my Gibson Guitar! :mrgreen:
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

RudeE

by RudeE

Awesome! Thats going to be a very cool looking bike. Just don't get that thing close to campfires :lol:

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

SWijland wrote:Image

Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

This is going to be a great thread to follow. Once they put a clear coat the color of the wood will really pop. I bet anything dark will look awesome against the frame. Is the builder one from the NW.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

jcconnox

by jcconnox

I got wood reading this thread.

oreoboreo wrote:Is the builder one from the NW.

Portland, OR. Though, I guess they're opening a showroom in Sausalito, CA.

elviento wrote:12lbs?

Doubt it.

http://www.renovobikes.com/storage/fram ... 87x261.jpg

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

jcconnox wrote:Portland, OR. Though, I guess they're opening a showroom in Sausalito, CA.

They already did. I stopped by a few weekends ago. The finished products (the bikes) looked really nice. I would have one as an occasional rider, not a daily nor a race rig, but more like the "special bike" for "special rides." The interior of their showroom needed some better woodworking for the displays, ironically.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

jcconnox

by jcconnox

@prendrefeu

Werd. I've seen these at a few shows and they've had a booth set up at some of the bigger races here in PDX. They're awesome machines. I would love to have one of these guys for club rides or a fondo, but I wouldn't want to ride one daily or race it.

CarlTroy

by CarlTroy

Interesting! Just watch out for beavers! :thumbup:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Great project! :thumbup:

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I live near Portland as well, sounds like a detour on one of my trips is needed. I would love to see their shop.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

elviento wrote:12lbs?

gumgardner wrote:whats a frame like that weigh? It looks like my Gibson Guitar! :mrgreen:

From their website

■Lightweight; a frame weighs from 3.5 to 5.5 pounds--bikes, 16.5 to 20 pounds.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skywalker268

by skywalker268

SWijland wrote:There are a couple of things I would like to have your advise on:

- What fork should I get? (I think a 3T Funda or Reynolds Ouzo Pro would look nice)
- What headset should I get (probably Chris King or Tune Bobo, but I am not sure of the colour(s))
- What rims should I use for the wheels? (Mavic Open Pro, Stans ZTR 340, or something higher maybe)?
- What colour cables should I go for? (I have some white Jagwire Racer cables lying around, but I doubt that those will look good)

Thanks for you looking and thanks for you comments!

I think the funda would look better on the wood bike, I would try to get some sort of special paint for it though

Chris king all the way, cant go wrong with silver.

If you want to go the classic route, which is looks to be with the absolutely droolworthy 25th anniversary gruppo, why not get a set of ambrosio rims? I believe also that there are companies out there that make wood rims, could be worth looking in to.

I would go with the Shimano grey cables, I think those would look nice. Pretty sure jagwire also makes a cream color housing, I think that would work well with the color of the wood.