Are V brakes better than canti's for CX?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Just getting into and I know that braking on a CX bike with road levers is not the greatest even in the dry due to leverage etc. So are V brakes better than canti's? What are some decent weight versions of V or canti that won't break the bank but do the business stopping wise.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yes.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=79744

Also do searches here and on the internet for mini-v's on cyclocross bikes. Tektro makes a few, and the higher ends are under the Tektro sub-brand TRP.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Hey thanks for the comment. What's your experience after reading your link? What are you running?

JBV

by JBV

I think they're better for stopping power (a recent Cyclocross magazine article confirms that), as well as eliminating fork shudder. They are also pretty easy to set up. Disadvantage is that there's less clearance for mud, although I've encountered no problems with that in the few mud races I've done with them.

I've used the Tektro RX5 (85mm arms), Tektro 926AL (80mm), and the TRP CX9 (90mm). All brake just fine, the longer arms are better for braking power, shorter arms are better for clearance. The Tektro's are real cheap, especially compared with the TRP.

Jagwire adjustable noodles are a sweet upgrade for any of these, for cheap. Also the Tektros come with the longer MTB-style pad/shoe. They work OK, and you can get various replacement pads for them, but you may want to get the Jagwire Sleek Cross Lite Brake Pads which enable you to use road pads. These vary in price from $12.50 (US) to $30 per wheel.

My experience is all with Campy levers, a teammate runs the 926AL with SRAM levers and likes them. I think the CX9 is too long an arm for any except maybe Shimano levers. Of course if you run a single speed you can run some V-brake specific levers.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Thanks, what's the adjustable noodle? There are four on the jagwire website but not sure which one you are talking about there.

euan

by euan

JBV wrote:Disadvantage is that there's less clearance for mud, although I've encountered no problems with that in the few mud races I've done with them.

definitely a massive disadvantage. if you had a bike in the pit maybe not, but a mate had to abandon yesterday due to his mini vs being tightly clogged up with a thick mixture of mud, grass and leaves. clearance with my front disc and canti on the rear meant I had less trouble than him.

availpunk9

by availpunk9

The mud clearance is a disadvantage to some. My brother is my mechanic and is a pro at washing bikes =) I'm thinking of trying mini Vs, just because I can swap bikes every half lap and not care about mud.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Also, CX 8.4 and CX9 TRP brakes come with road pads and holders.... not MTB style. I have recent versions of both.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

BBB sells V- (or Canti-) brake shoe holders, basically allowing anyone to use swappable pads in their brakes.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

I tested the cx9's which are a beautiful design but found them far too grabby on carbon rims for my liking. Still running TRP 950sl cantis on my bikes. They use dura ace pad format so I ea sily swap out yellow swiss top carbon pds for race wheels and green for training wheels.

Frans

by Frans

Why do people use road pads on CX brakes? Why don't they go for full length MTB pads? Surely >contact patch = >power no?

I have 15 year old XT cantis with full-length Aztec pads with DA7800 levers and they'll almost put me over my bars: http://www.roteccycles.co.uk/aztec-post ... 1698-p.asp At 5 bucks they're cheap.

Anyone know why road shoes are the CX standard?

monty dog

by monty dog

Folks use road pad holders for CX if needing to use carbon brake pads.

I use a pair of TRP CR950 cantis with MTB pads and they are awesome.
Just ride

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

Road pads stop fine on v-brakes or cantis. It's easier to get carbon-compatible inserts/pads in the road form factor. Or if you're like me, you run them because you want to be able to open your brakes all the way. Here's a short write-up on the Jagwire cross pads:

http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=378

Granted, I'm not racing cross, but I am hauling more weight than probably any cross racer.
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frans

by Frans

I can't believe that THAT many people are running carbon hoops, I certainly don't see many at all in the 2 cross leagues I race in (London League and Easters (read: Essex) League) here in the UK.

Here, if people want to run Challenge/Dugast tubs they go Reflex or something light and trashable like that.