Stans 340

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

davidrichardson

by davidrichardson

I am after using some stans 340s on my cross bike run tubeless.

Has anyone done this on their cross bikes? How have they held up?

I am 77kg if that's any help!

Or would some cheap carbon deeps with tubs be a better wheel for a similar price?
Tester for PMR@cing / www.Biketart.com

Rich_W

by Rich_W

tubs...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

owen

by owen

+1.
I raced tubulars for the first time today. The difference is significant. It's an unfair advantage.
173lbs. 32psi front 34psi rear. Grifo's.
Wheel build:
24 spoke radial front, Sapim Lasers.
28 spoke cross 2, Sapim Lasers, Db-14 drive side.
KinLin TB-25 niobium tubular rims.
Alloy nipples.
Super light subset, with wide flange front hub.
Weight: 1420 grams.

davidrichardson

by davidrichardson

Looks like I best try to source some tubs then!

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

I will recommend the Velocity Major Tom rim for CX use - it is wide for good contact and builds well.
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

davidrichardson

by davidrichardson

I was considering Ambrosio Nemesis rims on ambrosio hubs...

Can be had for reasonable money in the UK

JK

by JK

Which of you tub lovers did actually ride Alpha 340 rims set up tubeless?? :noidea:

dlight

by dlight

JK wrote:Which of you tub lovers did actually ride Alpha 340 rims set up tubeless?? :noidea:

I did. Lower pressure problem. At below 30 and the tires burp and the front rolled off the rim. Sprayed stans all over me and mix with sand. It was Swell. They flex more when compare to kinlin tubies on the same hub and spoke. (DT 240 and sapim cx).

I ride tubies now.

jooo

by jooo

Of course the KinLin is stiffer, it weighs about 90 grams more per rim - that difference would let you use many more spokes on the Alpha which would be the sensible thing to do.

Burping? Perhaps a little more work on your set up was necessary?

The main drawback is just that current tyre choice kinda sucks.

dlight

by dlight

I don't think the setup was a problem. Two of my team mates (team deal) were on the same rim (different hubs and spokes) with different tires and the same result. One of my team mate was so adament to make it work that he spent several months in multiple configuration and in the end gave up. There is rumor even a sponsored local writer/rider with the exact same problem. I've ran the mtb rims for years, since they first came out and I've not had any burping and roll off. My thought is that the volume is not the same as on a mtb. So on side load the pressure just over whelm the bead and it blow.

On the road with higher pressure, I've not ran it but again same team mate who didn't have as much of a problem but still have the same burping and two catastropic blow out in a corner during a crit. I guess some will say that it happens with all setup but two in one season is high. Scarry as hell being in the same pack with him. He also runs dura ace set up and they are a lot less trouble some. I can only recall one blow out in the past several years. Hutchinson tires if anyone ask.

My rims were not 350 grams as suppose to be. 365 and 362 respectively. Kinlin was 437 and 441.

Colin

by Colin

I'd personally go with the tubeless setup (having just switched to tubular), even on the tubular's, once you get sub 30psi they feel terrible (in my opinion), feels like your riding a flat tire.

dlight

by dlight

I hate glueing. I was really hoping for tubeless to work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Bear in mind... on soft surfaces, lower tire pressure actually makes the tire roll faster as the surface area is increased and the tire is not sinking as much.

Sub 30 PSI is very important. I rarely go above 32 PSI with the exception of horrific mud where you need a higher pressure and narrower tire to cut through and get traction on the bottom.

I am a big fan of my tubeless setup for off road training or a mountain cross event, like Iron Cross. Tubeless can take a pounding at a reasonable tire pressure and not flat. But at low pressure and cornering as you would in a race... I'm sorry but Tubeless sucks for that.