WW Build for L'Eroica - Full Finished pics P4

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Excellent! Keep the pictures and updates coming! :thumbup:
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Hi All
A little tease and update. This project is going strong - in fact it has pre-occupied me over all things cycling for over a year now. The bike is due to be completed by June 24 so in the home straight at last. The frame has been completely restored from bare metal by Star Enamellers - rechromed, painted and decalled and is about to be shipped to Fyxo Hub and Shifter bikes in Melbourne for the final build(!!!!!!!!!!)

Over time the project has morphed into a passion to build a period correct bike to 'as-new' condition - ie exactly as it would have rolled out of the Milano workshop in 1972. This has meant building the bike up with Campy Nouvo Record gruppo instead of the originally planned Super Record (which wasn't available until 1973)

I have been able to source almost every component in new condition - in most cases still in the original box and packaging.
Campy Patent 72 NR Rear Mech

Needless to say - many hours searching EBay and following up leads were involved.

For those who have done this I provide a couple of sneak images of some more hard-to-get items:
Cinelli Model 64 Giro D'Italia bars with early three clamping bands in rare 42cm width
Campagnolo 41T chainring with early <c> stamping

I have taken onboard the earlier suggestions and sourced Binda toe straps with early version metal rollers - still in the paper bag - which were indeed quintessentially Italian accesories for racing bikes of the early 70's. I had to draw the line at Simplex shifters though - this is an all-Italian build!

Last week I managed to score a real unexpected bonus - early 70's version Clement silk tubulars - these will be going on a set of racing tubular wheels being built by Dan at Shifter bikes for display only - Record hubs, Stella spokes and Martano rims.

More soon
Last edited by dadoflam08 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Impressed mate :thumbup:

Certainly keen to see it once complete.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

What Tinea said... Please keep the updates coming!
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

pmr

by pmr

:thumbup:
Love it. I have a soft spot for lugged frames.

tarz

by tarz

Coming along very nicely!
Couldn't entrust someone better than Shifter Bikes/Fyxo for the build.

very keen to see the final build...!

hetchins68

by hetchins68

:thumbup:
it needs a huge patience and passion to build a nice period correct vintage

been there done that !!...good luck !! :beerchug:

notsoswift

by notsoswift

tarz wrote:Coming along very nicely!
Couldn't entrust someone better than Shifter Bikes/Fyxo for the build.

very keen to see the final build...!

Absolutely agree, on all three counts

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Bingo - Landed to final piece of the build list. It seems that when you try to do a period correct build there is going to be one elusive component - for me it was finding a new condition Cinelli 'Milano' stem in a useable size. In the last 14 months I never saw one between 80mm and 130mm length for sale. I had pretty much given up and resigned myself to a used one - with the associated scarring of clamping and use - I ended up buying several in my search for one good enough:
Because the original items had a beautiful anodised finish you cannot simply polish the scratches out - it results in an un-authentic tell-tale high polish finish.
Last week that all changed - I did my daily-ritual early morning scan of Ebay new postings and voila! - my search unexpectedly was over.

Being the last piece for my build no one was ever going to beat me on this one :D It actually belonged to Richard Sachs of handbuilt bike fame who was clearing his stock of old parts after doing a period-correct build of his own - the other nice thing about this project is that obtaining every component has its own little story

As an aside - a little eye-opener for me as a WW was how light many of the older components actually are and in pure weight reduction terms how little some things seem to have come. My tubular rims are 320g a piece and the 40 year old Campy record crankset...
yes that is 634g - even more impressive when you consider those are 52/42 chainrings. Of course the 2kg+ frame sort of spoils the WW party.
The frame is presently in transit and should be in Melbourne tomorrow evening - pictures soon I hope

Enjoy
Last edited by dadoflam08 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It's great to see this coming together like it is. Didn't know anything about this event till you posted it in your prior thread with your project idea. Would be super fun to do. Take lots of pics of the event. Nice job.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

The frame arrived at Fyxo Hub yesterday – Andy White unpacked it and in his words...insanely good!
He sent these first sneak pics of the restored frame -

The paint restoration was by Star Enamellers with rechroming by Electroplating Technology
Peter did a fantastic job replicating a period correct finish. The older silver paints had a mucher finer metallic grain - sort of like anodised aluminium - than the modern silver paints. He also managed to replicate the thin and flat paint application of the lightweight bikes of the era - rather than the thick, perfect gloss finish of modern paint finishes which look odd on old bikes. Accordingly the detail has not been flooded and file marks etc from the framebuilding can still be detected around the lugs and BB through the paint. The originals had no clear finish but we needed to protect the decals so a carefully mixed flat clear finish coat has been applied.

Full marks also to Cyclomondo for help with the decals. Their standard range is very extensive but they are also very helpful if you have something new - they were able to reproduce the slightly larger Columbus decal found on the early 70's Cinelli which was printed on metallic gold foil - rather than gold-coloured print. Perfect.
Last edited by dadoflam08 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:28 am, edited 7 times in total.

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Sure you want to ride with a 41 inner ring on the strada bianchi climbs?
I can assure you that this will hurt! :D
Congrats on the Cinelli. Beautiful frame.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

de zwarten wrote:Sure you want to ride with a 41 inner ring on the strada bianchi climbs?
I can assure you that this will hurt! :D
Congrats on the Cinelli. Beautiful frame.

41T is the smallest ring I can fit on 144BCD (and rare as hens teeth) - I have given a little though to the gearing as I believe some of the hills are close to 23% gradient as well as gravel - from a gearing point of view I may use a Campy Rally RD which will allow use of a 14-32T freewheel. From an event point of view I quite like the thought of getting off the bike and walking the hills with everyone else (remember no cleated shoes) - good chance to talk to the other riders.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

The final phase has begun – after 18 months of preparation all the parts have been acquired and the build is underway - under the masterful hands of Dan Hale of Shifter Bikes.

Photography by Andy White of Fyxomatosis
Last edited by dadoflam08 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Getting Dan to build it, excellent choice :thumbup:

btw, the restore is jaw dropping!