Tioga Spyder Twintail Saddle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi All, I would love opinions on this saddle, especially if you have used one or are using one ... http://www.tiogausa.com/spyder-twintail.html

One negative aspect that I am aware of is that Tioga state that the saddle should be replaced each year.
Some positive comments are that they are comfortable and reasonably light (140gms) and flexible.

thanks

Bling

by Bling

I have been running one (the same one) for three years. It has been excellent! I tried going over to an Arione for a couple rides, but it was no where near as comfortable. No cracks in the carbon, no bends in the rails, logos did wear off quickly though.

I weigh about 170 lbs (just under 80 kg), and I usually ride about 100 km at a time. I just did 180 km last Sunday and had absolutely no complaints.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bling

by Bling

Oh, and they look the boss. I wish I could get a carbon railed one for my new build...

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi Bling, that's excellent news. They do look good and interesting ... thanks :-)

jooo

by jooo

I've heard of a few bent rails and maybe one or two where the rail has popped out of the shell completely but these are on MTBs which have been abused and/or used nasty seat post clamps.

example:

So get yourself a good clamp and you should be fine.

Bling

by Bling

BTW I use the post that came stock with my Kuota Kharma (2008 w/round post). No pics at the moment, but it is not a super light post. It is a two bolt post that clamps like a Thomson, and covers quite a bit of surface area on the rails. Could this be a reason for my success? Not sure, but I heard these were designed for MTB so road riding should not cause any concern. Good luck.

g

juzme

by juzme

I know this is an old thread. Just to contribute my experience with the saddle...
I've been riding with the same Twintail saddle for the past 2 years... It's still serving me well... But then I'm light at 60kg (~130+lbs)
It worked well with my backside but can't say that it'll work for others... Would definitely buy one again.... In fact, I have another one for my other bike....

KLabs

by KLabs

I have been riding on one of those for a couple of years now, rails are still perfect, and I weigh 90kgs :)

I strengthened mine by epoxying the rail into the seat connector, where the rail connects into the front of the seat, which makes the nose section stronger.
I find it quite comfortable, actually better than other seats that I have used :)
Looks cool too :)

Chorizo

by Chorizo

I'm seriously thinking about getting one :soon:

addictR1

by addictR1

on ebay it's around $80.. that's not bad..

*edit: just pulled the trigger... now just need to wait till it arrives. seller posted 15-20 days.. :x

addictR1

by addictR1

just got my saddle over the weekend. didn't get to put too much miles on it.. only 5 miles to be exact. didn't feel the need to use any epoxy on it yet.. but definitely need to adjust the saddle a bit and the fitment.

the nose of the saddle is flexible.. so thinking of using a heat gun to bend that part down more.

as for the saddle itself.. it's flexible and felt quite nice riding it. but need to position it better so i don't end up sitting on my balls to take the weight.

addictR1

by addictR1

bling: u have a photo of your seat post with the tioga on there? i'm seeing some fitment issue where the clamp screw on my omni seatpost is getting in the way.

http://imageshack.us/a/img577/2295/imag0321e.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img593/6048/imag0322z.jpg

it seems as though the saddle is bottoming out on top of the screw... not comfy..

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi addictR1, that's an unfortunate place to have a non-rounded bolt head, isn't it. Can it be rounded or padded ...

thanks KL :)

addictR1

by addictR1

KL, i thought about covering it up or something, but u can really fell that pressing upwards. :(

another way is to find another WW seatpost that mounts differently.

pratoni

by pratoni

or a smaller bolt, rigth?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com