Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Do you buy it pre-mixed in the resin? Or do you buy a big bag of it and add it to whatever epoxy you pick?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

ricerocket wrote:Do you buy it pre-mixed in the resin? Or do you buy a big bag of it and add it to whatever epoxy you pick?

It's pre-mixed, not with "whatever epoxy".

P.S. I saw that some of the previous photos uploaded with tinypic.com aren't that good quality.. Here just the PROTO-TYPE 3 one more time uploaded with an Slovenian site, hope you can all see it? If yes, I'll rather upload then with shrani.si, probably a bit better photo quality,..

Compared to:

Berk wrote:Image

The original photos are quite large and unfortunately I lose the photo quality when uploading those photos,...

kavitator

by kavitator

dereksmalls wrote:So what does that stuff do? I'm guessing it's not little tiny robots that make the fibres super intelligent and fix themselves if you crash or scratch the frame!

i bet NASA has them

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

I'm working on the design of the headtube (tapered) and bottom bracket (for BB30).

About the BB I'll make it for the new press-fit bottom brackets. The only thing is that I want to be 100% sure before I start with the real work, and just to make sure: if I understand right, the press-fit BB30 needs a Ø46 shell that's 68mm wide?

On PT3 I use also press-fit bottom bracket but a standard one and not BB30. I like the idea a lot, and it would make sense if I make it with the new standards. It will also help me to make the frame as stiff as possible.

Otherwise I still need to found out how to make the tapered headtube area. I have to decide what will I use - a press-fit headset or a drop-in. For me it would be better to use press-fit, but first I want to be sure that the outer Ø of the fork and the headset will be the same or really very similar that the lines will look smooth,...anyway, now I'm searching for a good tapered fork and will rather get some parts before I start with the work, just to be sure..

CTiride

by CTiride

The bore diameter on the finished PF30 road shells from paragon is 46mm +/- .05, 68mm in width. http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/cgi- ... key=BB4003

I don't think that you indicated the steer you wanted to use but Enve and 3t both offer tapered forks.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

CTiride wrote:The bore diameter on the finished PF30 road shells from paragon is 46mm +/- .05, 68mm in width. http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/cgi- ... key=BB4003

I don't think that you indicated the steer you wanted to use but Enve and 3t both offer tapered forks.

Thanks. Yes - they both have 1.125"-1.25" (crown diameter 52mm) and 1.125"-1.5" (c.d. 56mm).

I still have to decide which tapered dimension to use, but most probably I'll go with the 1.25". It would look more elegant for my taste to have a 52mm headtube instead of 56mm :noidea:

Just a few more things to decide and I'll slowly start with the real work :thumbup:.
And I'll make it for drop-in headsets. Some more work to do, but I'm sure it will turn out nice! Of course I'll first make some experiments before the carbon work on the frame.

In short:
-internal routing
-press-fit BB30 (Ø46mm x 68mm shell)
-tapered fork (most probably 1.125"-1.25")

I'll make the mould for the frame that will be also Di2 compatible (if I would like to make a frame for Di2, otherwise I'll build the first one with Sram..).

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

Was thinking about posting a link to this over in another forum I frequent - I think they'd get a kick out of it over there. Wanted to make sure it was cool to do that first.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

If anyone want to share this link - sure no problem :thumbup: you can see some photos and news also on facebook - "Berk Composites".

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

Thanks - really amazing work Berk and wanted to share it. If you want to take a peak at the thread it is here: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.ph ... om-scratch.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

No problem and thanks :thumbup:

For all those who will read this thread for the first time - now I'm 19 (otherwise I study mechanical engineering and cycle as a Continental cyclist) and would like to answer to some of the comets there,..
I know that a lot of people are sceptic about those projects, but I'm sure that I know what I'm doing and it's not just some carbon fibres wrapped in a tube,...it's a long story how to make it right, also the joints aren't just some areas that are just wrapped with carbon.

And (at this moment) the frames are made only for me - I'm the one who tests my frames. I trust my skills 100% and dare to drive over 90km/h with a frame that was made with my hands. Everything is handmade by me, all the tubes, dropouts, etc.,...the procedure and materials are all top quality.

About my free time,...I'm repeating this quite often but anyway - unfortunately I'm not a company and I still have to study, train and when I have some free time I prefer to spend it with my girlfriend (!). But if we aren't able to spend our free time together I'm working with carbon, and it really isn't everyday,...hope you understand what I mean. Otherwise I'll continue working on my carbon projects and it would be a dream job for me to have some day my own company. I'm very young (not even 20..) and still have some time to reach my aim :mrgreen:
Last edited by Berk on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kgt

by kgt

Considering your age you make a very serious and responsible effort. You love it and that's what matters the most. I wish you all the best!
Last edited by kgt on Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ParisLove

by ParisLove

How about me make a new contest? Most Inspirational Thread of the Year (MITY).

jcconnox

by jcconnox

Berk wrote: now I'm 19

:unbelievable:

I'm currently enrolled at a university in the States, and the 19 year olds I know there don't know their heads from their a$$es.

Well done, sir. Keep up the good work.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@kgt, ParisLove, jcconnox:

What can I say, really thanks to all! :beerchug:

I'll sure continue with my work and already made some more progress on my next frame project, but unfortunately without any photos because the procedure is my secret.
At this moment I'm working on an experiment that will take me a few more days, probably during this weekend I'll have some more news for you, will see. I'll keep you updated

gumgardner

by gumgardner

C'mon Jure. What are you working on :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com