Kurt Kinetec - Power Curve

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rich00

by rich00

Hi all,

Just wondering if any one has used the power formula at http://www.kurtkinetic.com/powercurve.php I just did a interval session today on the kurt kinetic road machine and used the formula and got some interesting power readings. Just like to know if this is really reliable, I'm just curious and not inclined to go out and get a power meter for more accurate results.
Last edited by rich00 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nauqneyugn

by nauqneyugn

Oops! Disregard!

rgkicksbutt

by rgkicksbutt

Mine is about 40 watts high from that curve @ 30 km/h, while my friend told me his was about 30 watts low @ 30 km/h.

They are quite variable from unit to unit, but once warmed up your individual unit can be quite consistent to its own curve, which can be useful for tracking progress and setting interval levels.

Rick

by Rick

I have a Cycleops Fluid2. Somewhere I found a graph of power vs. speed for it at their website a while back.
Now, looking at the link, I find it interestying that both the Cycleops and the Kurt claim to be designed to produce 25 mph at about 400 Watts.

But I also know for certain that the perceived resistance varies pretty much with simply tire pressure. So It is probably "accurate" at a particular tire/tire pressure, but can vary as those conditions change. I don't have a power meter to compare with. I have a dedicated trainer frame with a dedicated tire that I always pump to exactly 100 psi, just for consistency in workout comparisons.

rich00

by rich00

Thanks for the replies. I was a bit stunned when I looked at the watts (peak 1892 @ 70.2 Km/h)- Does this look right ? :unbelievable:

mrfish

by mrfish

Unless your name is Cipollini or Hoy it's unlikely. You can always hope though :wink:

rgkicksbutt

by rgkicksbutt

rich00 wrote:Thanks for the replies. I was a bit stunned when I looked at the watts (peak 1892 @ 70.2 Km/h)- Does this look right ? :unbelievable:

are you saying you reached 70.2 km/h?

If so I am guessing you did that while sprinting, and sprint efforts on trainers (IME on the Kurt's) tend to make the rear tire slip, giving a very high speed reading.

djconnel

by djconnel

It definitely changes as fluid warms. Also there is inertia so using speed alone misses acceleration power.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

rich00

by rich00

rgkicksbutt wrote:
rich00 wrote:Thanks for the replies. I was a bit stunned when I looked at the watts (peak 1892 @ 70.2 Km/h)- Does this look right ? :unbelievable:

are you saying you reached 70.2 km/h?

If so I am guessing you did that while sprinting, and sprint efforts on trainers (IME on the Kurt's) tend to make the rear tire slip, giving a very high speed reading.

Yes, it was during a sprint. So most likely it was a tire slip that gave the high reading.
However I have hit 65khm out on the road during a crit sprint finish.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

mrfish wrote:Unless your name is Cipollini or Hoy it's unlikely. You can always hope though :wink:

Hoy would be closer to 2500. FWIW,
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com