New bikes arrived, warning disc brake content!

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

scale29

by scale29

New Hope Factory Racing team bikes have arrived, rode them for the 1st time at weekend and all I can say is WOW, Hydro discs are so the the future for cross bikes!

LardLover

by LardLover

Was spectating at South Shields yesterday, had a proper nose at the Hope bikes. I know some have criticised Hope's solution of cable operated hydraulic discs; not being neat, bit of a 'bodge' job just to use hydraulic discs etc etc but I have to admit, the unit is seriously sexy.

Not may bikes were using discs at the National Series race however, just the Hope boys.
Schnice :cool:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Nice... lets see some close ups of the brake systems! :beerchug:

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

hope also makes the stems- they shouldve put the cable/hydro converters in the stems...

Guy

by Guy

What frames are Hope stickering up?

euan

by euan

Can't tell in black but looking at the fork it could be Kinesis Pro6

scale29

by scale29

Sorry for the vague details and not very good pics before, here's some more of mainly the brake system....

The frames are rebadged Dedacciai Super Cross disc, full carbon 1.5-1.125 steerer, full carbon fork, big clearance and nice handling, I was on Addict CX before and these ride just as nice, headtube is a little short for the size hence the amount of spacers but for MK1 they'll do!

All up weight is 7.9kg, with a bit of fat still to trim. wheels are the std Hope Hoops RS5.0 rims (by Gigantex) 24h on the 6 bolt 24h straight pull mtb hubs from the Hoops wheelset, CX ray spokes.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Love the hope race brakes... I have those on my MTB.

:podium:I think this forum has an all new CX-pimp-In-chief. Those bikes are Super-Fly squared. Makes me want to paint my Full Tilt Boogies green.

If I we're rockin those rigs, this would be my kit:

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Is BB7 really that bad compared to hydro?
I've heard and experienced otherwise: the BB7 level of cable actuated is functionally great and can be made lighter than most hydro setups.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

euan

by euan

Well my experience with BB7s is that the are a PITA to set up and the self centring of hydro would be cool. But power wise hyrdos aren't really needed. BB7s provide light easy braking consistently and after 5 laps of racing through mud and sand sections your braking is still perfect compared to cantis. Where other people were braking earlier and with that horrible noise I could still brake as lap one. You would see marshalls move out of the way thinking I had too much speed and wouldn't be able to slow down to dismount for stairs and running up hills.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

It's clear the ideal cross set up is still not avialable, but I'd suggest it is a hydraulic system for ease of use/centreing, sealed nature but with a 120mm or even 100mm rotor, you really don't needa 140 rotor on a cross bike (unless you're a big fella!)
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I agree, the rotor needs for most CX would be 100mm, maybe 120mm.

I still prefer the BB7's vs. the hydro, and I know I'm the rare oddity here. Haven't found the set up or centering an issue either, aside from stock-weight, I don't really see that much of a gain in hydro over cable. Then tune it as any half-assed WW would, and a BB7 set up is lighter than a high end hydro without having to bleed the brakes. :noidea:

Oh well. Discs for cross, great!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

A couple of my team mates are running the BB7s with the new disc-ready Gin & Trombones and are loving them. That setup dominated the 35+ elite in Providence this past weekend.

However, the bikes are significantly heavier than the FTBs. Perhaps I will go disc next season on the next gen FTBs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

allezdude

by allezdude

sorry what are FTBs?