Reynolds Attack clincher wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Hi roadpeople

thinking about getting a pair og Reynolds Attack clincher wheelset but I have heard some rumours about the wheels being too soft. What is the verdict on these wheels? Looks good but can they ride?

Rippin

by Rippin

I had a set and there was nothing soft about them. I've never read any "rumors" about poor performance. Also, you can now find them under $1000 US during year-end closeouts.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Echo

by Echo

I have been riding a set for the past year and a half and have NOTHING bad to say about them! They are durable enough that I ride them every day, and plenty stiff under power. They are also light enough that you can climb with them. That said, compared to what alot of folks run on this site, they are boat anchors (J/K :lol: ). Overall a great, do everything wheelset!

My only complaint is with the durability of the braking surface. I rode them in the rain quite a few times this past year, and it would seem that the brake track is definitely showing signs of wear. That said, I would expect that with any carbon braking surface.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

A set of decent alu wheels (e.g. Soul S3.0SL) will be cheaper, lighter, just as aero, and brake better. Attacks are cool looking but that's all they have going for them.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

MajorMantra wrote:A set of decent alu wheels (e.g. Soul S3.0SL) will be cheaper, lighter, just as aero, and brake better. Attacks are cool looking but that's all they have going for them.

You consider Souls 3.0 1540gm lighter than 1405gm for the 2011 Reynolds Attack 32mm clincher? 2010 were 1483gm listed.

Less expensive, sure. As aero? Probably the same.

by 2011

I ride the Attack wheelset and love them. Just a simple, all-around decent wheelset. Sure, they are not insane light, but I wanted solid black carbon rims to match my build.

The skewers that come with the stock wheels are SUPER heavy, about 120-140 grams. I suggest changing them for some 20-40 gram high-end skewers. I would also ditch the rim tape and use Veloplugs, which saves about 15g per wheel.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Zigmeister wrote:
MajorMantra wrote:A set of decent alu wheels (e.g. Soul S3.0SL) will be cheaper, lighter, just as aero, and brake better. Attacks are cool looking but that's all they have going for them.

You consider Souls 3.0 1540gm lighter than 1405gm for the 2011 Reynolds Attack 32mm clincher? 2010 were 1483gm listed.

Less expensive, sure. As aero? Probably the same.

I said 3.0SL which is not the same wheel. They are about 1400-1430g a set, which is lighter than last year's Attacks. In fairness I didn't realise that the Reynolds got lighter for 2011 but the fact remains that they are around twice the price of the Souls and have the disadvantages of carbon braking.

I'm not anti Reynolds - I have a set of Assault tubulars, but I think you can do a lot better than the Attacks for the money.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Echo wrote:My only complaint is with the durability of the braking surface. I rode them in the rain quite a few times this past year, and it would seem that the brake track is definitely showing signs of wear. That said, I would expect that with any carbon braking surface.

Thanks for all the words - I want to use the Reynolds Attack wheels on the roads but also for my cross bike so thinking this is not the best idea but damn - they do look good :-)

Elrey

by Elrey

Just bumping this thread.

Would you say that this rim is worn down?

I bought it used, and he sayd it had done around 1500km.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

nope. looks to have plenty of life left. the brake surface is a different material than the rest of the rim.

Elrey

by Elrey

Thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com