Tyre choice for Enve SMART wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Wondering who else out there has a set and what width tyres you're running?

Raced with a set of the 3.4's on the weekend (yes, they are damn nice wheels!) but looking at where a 22 Vittoria Corsa Evo sits in the rim had me wondering if wider tyres were needed.

Tried digging up what they were tested with to no avil, yet.

What are other people using? As I have my set of 6.7's sitting next to me :twisted:

fidi1979

by fidi1979

I have been running 23 mm Corsa CXII tyres on mine with no issues at all.

You will like the 6.7's, they are a really nice rim!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grover

by grover

I seem to recall all their testing was done with 23mm Evo Corsa's or 22mm Conti Sprinters.

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Funny, just did a quick write-up on these wheels for the blog.
I'm on Vittoria 25's and the ride is MAGICAL!!!
Plus, handling in cross-winds is simply out of this world.

Best,
Mike

ergott

by ergott

The rebel in me put Zipp Tangentes on mine. :evil:

Karma had me with a flat rear so there's a Sprinter there now.

-Eric

CamW

by CamW

Cippo and/or Ergott is there any chance you could post a bit of a comparison between the 3.4 and 6.7 if you have time on both. A general review wouldn't go amiss either. If this is already happened somewhere a pointer as to where it is located would be appreciated :oops:

giro di lento

by giro di lento

I second CamW's suggestion. They both interesting wheel sets and it would be great to get some views from people who have spent time on both. Personally I'm more interested in the 3.4s as do most of my riding up or down hills - but I'd appreciate hearing experiences of one versus the other.

GdL
My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/

rlpaul

by rlpaul

Also running Vittoria Corsa Evo CX 23mm here on my 6.7s :D

ergott

by ergott

The 6.7s are amazing, but I have no time on the 3.4s yet. Sorry

Eric

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Argh...sorry boys, but I have yet to ride the 3.4's.
Only one set in for now and we are keeping them for sale.

Mike

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

I will have a bit of training and a race on my new 3.4's with Chris King R45's after next weekend. Having ridden app. 400 km and a race on my 6.7's, I could give a little comparison then. Needless to say I love my 6.7's. They are downright the fastest wheels I have had.

Andrewjn

by Andrewjn

Hi. I had a set of the 3.4 's on for about 50k's last week. Was supposed to demo them for a week plus but the distributor needed them back for a pro rider in the Herald Sun Classic in Melbourne. Felt buttery smooth and light and road feel was great. Braking was very sketcky on the back , perhaps a better pad would have given better result?? Has a set of Tufo's which felt okay but not to say they could not have been better

commfire

by commfire

After selling off years bike crap I now own both the 6.7's and 3.4's. I figure wheels to be the most important part of the bike so why not go big and have a set for every occasion.

I am running veloflex carbon's 22mm. Initially I thought that the tire was too small for the rim width. The 22mm tire definitely sit in the rim with just a bit of tape showing. The one advantage the wide rim has is a large surface area that gives the tire rim contact a very secure feeling...at least for me.
The other thing I noticed is how thick the brake track is. It is almost like the tire is protected from the brake pads by 1 or 2 mm of carbon.

Both sets are laced to CK R45 hubs which so far the nicest feeling, sounding and looking hubs I have experienced.

The 6.7's are definitely a fast wheel. I use those for road racing and the front wheel for TT's. The best thing I can say about them is that you kind of forget your riding a deep wheel. They feel very balanced and stable. I have used them on a very windy day and never felt sketchy although The wind did grab the wheel...but not in a bad way.

I have less time on the 3.4's but they are just flat out awesome. Extremely light but solid feeling. I will continue to use these as my do everything wheel including training on them. No way I am gonna spend that kind of money and have them sitting in the closet. They look great as well.

LionelB

by LionelB

Looks like a pretty tight clearance on that rear wheel/seattube :shock:

CippoForLife wrote:Funny, just did a quick write-up on these wheels for the blog.
I'm on Vittoria 25's and the ride is MAGICAL!!!
Plus, handling in cross-winds is simply out of this world.

Best,
Mike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shadwell

by shadwell

Hey Nick,

I am running the HED stinger 4, which also has a simialr wide bed profile... hence i chime in...

I have mounted Conti GP4000sr's (22mm wide nominal)...to date

Having now ridden them around Melboune, Gold Coast extensively, Northern NSW and alot in Northern QLD...

I have to say i am looking for 24mm tyres for them.. the tyres look a little lost on the rim, and the relatively small bag (compared to 23mm clincher on ardennes rims I also run) makes them a little uncomfortable, provide a little less grip and a little more sketchy (pointy in regards to steering rate) on the rough mix & potholed down hills we tend to have in this corner of the world...
In summary a little less assuring ride....

Next up Is Veloflex Roubaix 24mmm black wall... or Conti Comp 24mm when i can find some.. :thumbup:

PS nice wheels, you running them on the 595 or the Baum mainly... ??