compact crankset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cadence90

by cadence90

I am thinking of building up a compact crankset for road use.
11/23 or 12/25 with 50/34 or maybe 52/36

Has anyone used the FSA Compact 50/34? Reactions?
I guess they have decent reviews, but (and I know looks ain't everything) the spider looks ugly to me.

Any other options out there for complete crankset or just crank arms with a 110 BCD?

Thanks.
Last edited by cadence90 on Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

Personally I can't help you, never used them. I think it's just a fad. But, seeing how I'm making some cranks I could make a compact spider for such use. anyone interested?

cadence90

by cadence90

Superlite wrote:Personally I can't help you, never used them. I think it's just a fad. But, seeing how I'm making some cranks I could make a compact spider for such use. anyone interested?

Superlite, why do you think it's just a fad?
For me, 185#, climbing is hard, but I don't want to go triple or 13/29. I want to keep the 12 or even 11 at the bottom. With a 52/36 and the 12/25 I have now, I would get basically the same rollout at 52/12 and 53/12, but much better at 36/25 versus 39/25. I would think that would help a bit....
With the 50/34 setup, then it's a tad better on the small gear, but the 50/12 isn't so appealing on flats....

Any other thoughts/experiences on this?
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Superlite

by Superlite

Superlite, why do you think it's just a fad?

It's not like guys in the 60's, 70's, 80's, or 90's didn't know the effects of a different gear ratio.

cadence90

by cadence90

Yeah, I know Indurain lugged 28# over the Pyrenees and all that, but....anyone else have a take on compacts and ratio?
Thanks

Paul_nl

by Paul_nl

It's just a fad????

Come on! Such a compact crank should be perfect for weightweenies who wants to cycle with gearratios like: 39x27(1.44), 39x28(1.39), 30x23(1.30) That's pretty heavy in weight and ugly too!!

Last year I used a triple in the french alps (mostly 30x21, 30x23). But I have ordered an FSA compact crank for this year. With an 12-25 cassette I have the same gear-ratios as with my triple. But my bike will be 200-300gram lighter. And now I only have to change my crank for cycling in the alps it's 10minutes of work. And I can race with my 52/42crank. I say "my triple is going bye bye".

In juli I can give you my review.

When you want gear-ratios just take your calculator.

PSTOST

by PSTOST

Pbcomp has a really nice compact crankset - not on their homepage yet -but same design as Bran carbon crankset - http://www.gass-project.com/
Looks better with with the all carbon design - instead of FSA with a loose spider..

mises

by mises

I agree the FSA is pretty ugly but I really like the gearing. I use either an 11-23 or 11-25 (use the 11&12 cog from the 23 cassette). The 34-25 will get me up pretty much anything without blowing my knees out. I like to ride a lot of forest service roads that have long sections of bad "pavement" and unpaved parts with grades in the 12-15% area for long periods. I can do it with a 39-25 but when I get to the end of a steep section there is no snap left in my legs. It's a much smoother effort with the compact.

Granted when I was Superlight's age I would have been the same and too full of myself to lower myself to such demeaning gearing. But with age comes a measure of common sense. There is some Mark Twain quote about how he couldn't believe how his father who had been so stupid had become some much smarter over the years.

Superlite

by Superlite

Granted when I was Superlight's age I would have been the same and too full of myself to lower myself to such demeaning gearing.

Full of myself? :roll: Um, no, I use 53/39 and 12/23 because thats the optimal gearing for me. I don't think I would ride with gearing that slowing me down, esp. when I'm racing. I've spent the last 3 years finding the perfect ratio. I've had 12-27, 12-25, 12-23, 12-21 cassettes. 12-21 was absent of a gear I needed. 12-25 and up had gears I never used. Through trial and error, not " lowering myself to such demeaning gearing" I am using whats best for me.

But with age comes a measure of common sense.

So because I'm using a 12-23 and I happen to be young are you saying I'm ignorant?:roll:

cadence90

by cadence90

Paul_nl wrote:Such a compact crank should be perfect for weightweenies who wants to cycle with gearratios like: 39x27(1.44), 39x28(1.39), 30x23(1.30) That's pretty heavy in weight and ugly too!!

Agreed. They have to change that spider design, it looks like glued-on faux cheap something or other.... :!:

Paul_nl wrote:I have ordered an FSA compact crank for this year. With an 12-25 cassette I have the same gear-ratios as with my triple. But my bike will be 200-300gram lighter. And now I only have to change my crank for cycling in the alps it's 10minutes of work. And I can race with my 52/42crank.

Nice range: nice weights: Are your 50/34 and 52/42 cranks both FSA?

PSTOST wrote:Pbcomp has a really nice compact crankset - not on their homepage yet -but same design as Bran carbon crankset - http://www.gass-project.com/
Looks better with with the all carbon design - instead of FSA with a loose spider..

I looked on Gass website (which is a nightmare for navigation, really :cry: ); the "Bran" model looks like it has a 130 BCD only, can't do 50/34, and Octalink. There is the model "Piper", which is 110 Campy or Shimano compatible.
Is the PB crank you mention 130 or 110 BCD?

Thanks for all the helpful replies, the better gearing range + weight savings seem a definite advantage! :lol:
Maybe I'll do a weight/price comparison and post it later.

PSTOST

by PSTOST

Sorry for the confusion cadence90 - The Piper is allready on the Gass homepage - This was the one I had in mind - and yes with 110mm BC - should also be availeble with Isis...

cadence90

by cadence90

PSTOST wrote:Sorry for the confusion cadence90 - The Piper is allready on the Gass homepage - This was the one I had in mind - and yes with 110mm BC - should also be availeble with Isis...

No problem, PS; now if we can just get Gass to change their navigation!!!!
Do I really have to check the material and then road or mtb and then try to remember all this just to compare the cranks, or anything else, they offer??? It's a ridiculous system :cry:

cadence90

by cadence90

PSTOST wrote:Sorry for the confusion cadence90 - The Piper is allready on the Gass homepage - This was the one I had in mind - and yes with 110mm BC - should also be availeble with Isis...

PS, have you used the Gass?
What chainrings did you have mounted on it?

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

A thought.

MTB cranks are 110 standard or 94 compact. There are some great ISIS or octolink or square tapersets out there.

I use an FSA carbon pro MTB set of cranks on my single speed. They are stiff and take a beating.
Attachments
compact mtb carbon crank
compact mtb carbon crank

cadence90

by cadence90

If anyone has +/- $800.00 burning a hole in your pocket, here's a response from Andrew at PoshBikes to my inquiry:

Thanks for the e-mail...

I am afraid the Power Arm Pro crank is not compact in design, and will not fit the rings you want to use...

Although, I have just had what I believe is the ultimate compact road crank and BB! which has been produced for us by Tune in Germany, and is a special version of their new Sixpack road crank, and Sixpack 120gram oversize titanium / ceramic bearing BB...

The crank weighs approx. 360grams, and the BB weighs approx. 120grams! which is a massive saving over most top end cranks...

We can fit TA Syrius 10speed compatable rings in 50 - 34 or 50 - 36, and Tune '9gram the set' alloy chainring bolts to this...

Price: Crank £185.00 (160 - 180mm) / Chainring bolts £15.00 / chainrings £71.75 / Sixpack 107mm bottom bracket £148.00 (Total: £419.75)

None of our compact cranks will fit the Italian Iso square taper BB's...

http://www.poshbikes.com/index01.html
A bit out of my range I'm afraid....I can't find photos of the "Sixpack" crank, I don't know if it is the same design as the "Bigfoot", but this does sound like a pretty nice setup....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com