Fizik R1 Road shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

corky

by corky

Anyone know what's happening with these?

I thought they were originally supposed to be in stores in December, it's nearly April now and still no show.......

Anyone got the inside scoop?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shinyboy

by shinyboy

I think Above Category have stock of Fizik shoes, not sure if they have the model you're after, I remember seeing it on their blog a few weeks ago.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

The R3 is in stores right now. They are lighter then the R1 and look great too! The R3 is even lighter then the "lightest shoe in the world" spec. S Works.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

STARNUT

by STARNUT

I have a full size runs in the R1 and both colors on the R3. Plus, I've got the chicks shoes too. We' were the first shop in NA to get the R1. Badass shoes. The R3 is lighter. They all run about a size larger than a Sidi. If you wear a 45 Sidi start with a 44 or 44.5 in the Fiziks.

The R1 will be VERY limited and the only places you're going to see them are shops that chose to carry the full line. At current count there are about 6-8 shops in the US that will have them right now.

1. City Bikes, Miami, FL; 2. Strictly Bicycles, Fort Lee, NJ; 3. Above Category, Mill Valley, CA; 4. Bicycle Johns, Burbank, CA; 5. River City, Portland, OR; 6. Superleggera, Tulsa, OK. 7. Fresh Bikes, Washington, D.C

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

ty-ro

by ty-ro

They sure look classy. What do they fit like? How about width & toe wiggle room compared to other brands?

Caveman

by Caveman

How much are they weighing in at? And, why is the R3 lighter then the R1 with the R1 costing more? Does the R1 have any features that makes the extra weight and price worth it (aside from the lack of color choice and big "manly-man" sized buckle, of course :wink: )

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

The R3 is lighter then the R1, because the R1 is made from Kangaroo leather as opposed to the ?microtex? on the R3.
The shoe is very comfy and it offers plenty of space for my wide feet.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

STARNUT

by STARNUT

all of the shoes use the same sole. Carbon, both uni and bi directional. Par for the course, the italians have the heel cup thing down pat and these are no exception. One of the better made/fitting heel cups out short of custom.

The R3 and Donna have a Kanga toe cap and Lorca for the rest of the shoes. The have a Mag buckle. I weighed a 43 (I think) and it was 253 grams.....

The R1 goes to full Kangaroo Nutsack leather, a carbon buckle, and come with a Sida's Conformable flashfit insole. While really nice, the insole adds weight. Well worth it in my opinion.

As to fit. They fit very close to a Sidi with slightly more toe room in terms of volume but not width. They run almost a full size big vs. a Sidi size. So if you're a 45 Sidi, you're almost 100% going to be a 44. It's a moot point because you're not going to be able to order these on the interwebs. You have to venture to your LBS or find a shop that has them that's willing to ship....

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Just started using the R3's and like the fit very much. Not to mention they look great. On the downside they are a little heavy. I will weigh both the R1 and R3 for some real numbers. Also the sole is a little thicker than most high end race shoes.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6159/6186472153_1088d1527f_z.jpg
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

The bolt holes look to be biased toward the front of the shoe. Flies in the face of the recent trend, ala Specialized and Giro, to bias them toward the rear to facilitate a more rearward cleat placement.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Overpriced :noidea:
I'd rather buy Bont to get the more custom fit.

I guess it's the price to get that superb finish and quality leather

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

BdaGhisallo wrote:The bolt holes look to be biased toward the front of the shoe. Flies in the face of the recent trend, ala Specialized and Giro, to bias them toward the rear to facilitate a more rearward cleat placement.

Cleats holes are further back than my Lake, Scott and Sidi Shoes. I have the cleat all the way forward on the Fizik.
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Must be the perspective of the pic. Good to hear that, though. Nothing more annoying that cleat bolt holes that aren't in a good spot.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

When you get a chance, please post those pictures of the shoes on a scale. I think that would be helpful for many of us here.
Thank you.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Has anyone molded these in a regular toaster oven? The whole lightbox thing looks gimmicky, but one piece that does look useful is they step into a molded box that holds the shape of the insole while molding.

Here's their video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTegpPIPYUg

I'm thinking 5 minutes @ 160 deg and then just plop them in the shoes should be okay, right? :)