training with lactose intolerance

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

4crosswheels

by 4crosswheels

hi ive just found out ive been lactose intolerate for the last few years and i want to know how nutritionally to work in more protein and keep trim during the cyclo cross season i am racing to elite standard u23 if that helps.
Bruce

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

How lactose intolerant are you?

I have lactose intolerance, but it can be virtually insignificant with some dairy foods (cheese, yogurts, cultured dairy) to horrible with others (regular milk, for example). What's the situation for you? Some people can't even handle cheese... for those folks, soy milk has been a welcome alternative. I happen to not have a pleasant reaction to high amounts of soy, so that's out for me as well.

Protein sources are plentiful - look to your vegan friends for help there. :thumbup:

You can also take pills for lactose intolerance (usually taken just before the meal) Lactaid and there is another brand available that is a once-a-day type deal (Digestive Advantage?). They work. I carry a few tablets when I'm out & about, just in case I'm offered some ice cream. Which will make me fat. And slow. :evil: Bastards and they're tempting, delicate, cold, sweet delightful treat. :twisted:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hotshot

by hotshot

You may find that you can get away with a pure whey protein isolate as it has a very tiny about of lactose in it. Another good sauce of protein would be whole egg protein. Generally speaking animal proteins are better absorbed by the body than non animal sauces.

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Are you looking for ways to add protein to your diet or looking for an accelerade type thing that is lactose free? I'm extremely lactose intolerant and also vegetarian, so I sometimes struggle but there are plenty of options out there and it's only easier if you are a meat eater.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

lcoolb

by lcoolb

@prendrefeu: i seem to have the same kind of lactose intolerance as you: cheese etc. is fine but milk is not. Never heard of those pills though, sounds good. But i guess the effectiveness depends on the kind of symptoms you have, am i right? What symptoms do you have?

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

I'll play Devils Advocate and say that you can manage without animal protein just fine.

There are plenty of protein sources which are not dairy related, and plenty more if you are happy with animal protein. Whilst milk is an awesome "sports drink" you can do just fine without it. Purely my perosnal opinion but taking a pill just in order to drink something you don't actually need seems a tad silly.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

lcoolb

by lcoolb

It's just that i happen to like the taste of milk ;)

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

lcoolb wrote:@prendrefeu: i seem to have the same kind of lactose intolerance as you: cheese etc. is fine but milk is not. Never heard of those pills though, sounds good. But i guess the effectiveness depends on the kind of symptoms you have, am i right? What symptoms do you have?

I just realized the OP is in the UK and you're in Holland lcoolb! Those pills are a few brand names available here in the United States, and that said they're found at the lowest price at a Target store. Not sure what the brands are available where you are, but you can ask around at a pharmacy. Over-the-counter type stuff is fine.

If I drink regular milk (without any lactase enzyme added), digestive track has very audible sounds of movement for the rest of the day, stool is very loose, lots of gas... yeah, it's not a pleasant feeling and has on occasion been "the end of the day" when I got caught unaware. Anyway, there are pills available.

I, too, *love* the taste and texture of milk... and I still drink milk everyday! I just happen to drink Lactose-free milk :wink: Check are your local market, they may have some available, various brands of milk are available, organic or otherwise. I've never purchased milk during my stays in the UK, my family over there usually covers everything and I end up just buying odd's and end's for dinner ingredients at the end of the day, so I have no idea whether markets there carry it, but I assume they would. It tastes *exactly* the same. Same texture, same everything. It cooks the same too, if you need milk as an ingredient. Friends who are not lactose intolerant have drank it and can't tell the difference at all.

As an aside, this evening I went shopping for the week and bought a small carton of regular milk to test something out: If I grind up and drop in one or two of the lactase enzyme pills into the milk (then shake the carton for mixing), in theory the milk will then be lactose free. Enzymes are not quantity dependent (basic science) - just a little bit will continue to work until there's nothing left to work through. I'm going to try this experiment this week and report whether it's successful, or whether I spent the rest of the day listening to a shifting stomach. :lol:

Regular sources of protein such as meats, eggs, etc:., won't affect you at all.

4crosswheels

by 4crosswheels

it seem im pretty strongly affected by it a slight bit of cheese on a race day can have my stomach in tatters.Im looking for some recovery drinks which wont affect me and Sources of protein for after weight training really,I am in the uk as one of you suggests so that might be a limiting factor in what is available to me.
Bruce

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

If you still need "milk" then also look at soy, rice or almond milk. Not sure if you have "Milo" in the UK but that can add a bit of protein/carbs/iron to the milk of your choice.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

lcoolb

by lcoolb

Prendrefeu, thanks for the info. I'll see if i can find something here. My symptoms are very different though: itchy skin/rash developing into eczema if i use too much dairy.

Rick

by Rick

Lactose-free milk is available in virtually every grocery store in the US. But I don't think you really need to worry about protein as long as you get a wide variety foods.

TCx

by TCx

In addition to those types of milk substitute, oatly made from pressed oats and water, has been my saviour. The red one (with added calcium) tastes the most like milk, the texture isn't far off either as long as you shake the carton really well. Like milk best served ice cold from the fridge. Waitrose etc stock it so it's not that tricky to get hold of over here (they also do the other alternatives listed above).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

4crosswheels wrote:it seem im pretty strongly affected by it a slight bit of cheese on a race day can have my stomach in tatters.Im looking for some recovery drinks which wont affect me and Sources of protein...

just an FYI, most (all?) of Hammer Nutrition products are Vegan friendly... meaning there is no animal product, and through that meaning that the lactose-factor is nil.