Your Favorite Clincher Tires?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

avispa

by avispa

Echo wrote:Thanks so much for all of the responses thus far, keep them coming!

Quick question though... What is the difference between the GP4000 and GP4000 S? Is it just TPI count, thickness and price?

So far, the GP4000 is in the lead simply by the fact that it has been most recommended thus far. Keep the responses coming!!!

Thanks!

I think the GP 4000S where the first Conti tires to use the "Black Chili Compound" and are only made in Black, therefore the S for schwarz in German... And yeah, in addition to the other stuff you mentioned.

..A..

avispa

by avispa

avispa wrote:
Echo wrote:Thanks so much for all of the responses thus far, keep them coming!

Quick question though... What is the difference between the GP4000 and GP4000 S? Is it just TPI count, thickness and price?

So far, the GP4000 is in the lead simply by the fact that it has been most recommended thus far. Keep the responses coming!!!

Thanks!

I think the GP 4000S where the first Conti tires to use the "Black Chili Compound" and are (were) only made in Black, therefore the S for schwarz in German... And yeah, in addition to the other stuff you mentioned.

..A..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bricky21

by bricky21

GP 4000 are available in different color's and different sizes whereas the 4000s is available in black 23c only, as mentioned above. both come with the black chili compound and that vectron thing :noidea:

Rick

by Rick

I have used a lot of different tires. I will take any Conti tire over any other tire.

Echo

by Echo

Update: I just ordered a pair of GP4000S' from PBK... That said, lets keep the thread going. Its interesting to see everyone's opinions!

Mikmik

by Mikmik

ychornet wrote:"GP4000s", but recently I hear some good reviews about attack-force. I'll try them

You'll be back on the GP4000's as soon as you wear out the force/attack....which will be quite quickly!!! No diffe between them except the force/attack wear out in front of your eyes. Complete waste of money IMO.
It's not how much you spend on a bike it's how hard you can ride it.

thprice

by thprice

+1 Conti 4000s
+1 Veloflex Corsa
Agree with durability of Attack/Force ... around 5000 km they are worn through.

record

by record

bricky21 wrote:GP 4000 are available in different color's and different sizes whereas the 4000s is available in black 23c only, as mentioned above. both come with the black chili compound and that vectron thing :noidea:

There are also 25c available.
A light bike does replace good fitness.

me

by me

Racing:
Conti GP 4000s

Training:
Rear: Conti Gatorskin
Front: Maxis Refuse - LBS didnt have any gatorskins when I needed one, no problems so far with the Maxis though

SpeedConcept

by SpeedConcept

claude274 wrote:I have Michelin Krylion Carbon and love them!

The Michelin Krylion Carbons seem to be a very popular choice amongst many. But I owned one set and got rid of them after about 1000 miles. The worst clincher tyre that I have ever used period. And I have used quite a few. They may have good puncture resistance. But that is the best I can say about them. Getting them on the rim is also a major hassle. They are not the tire that they are hyped up to be. Would never buy again. :D

SpeedConcept

by SpeedConcept

Also while on the subject of the continental GP4000S. Great tyre that they are. And Iv'e owned several sets. On one tyre that was being used on the rear, after approximately 1500 miles, the side wall developed a cut of about 5mm, leaving the inner tube protruding through the side wall. Needless to say but I will any how. The tire was binned immediately. So the GP4000S are not without flaws. And yes before any one asks. The tire was always kept at the recommended pressure and checked prior to every ride.

bricky21

by bricky21

record wrote:
bricky21 wrote:GP 4000 are available in different color's and different sizes whereas the 4000s is available in black 23c only, as mentioned above. both come with the black chili compound and that vectron thing :noidea:

There are also 25c available.

:doh: correct

savechief

by savechief

sugarkane wrote:GP4000s are not 200-210g either... More like 230-235g each

I just weighed two brand new Continental GP4000S clinchers (700x23C) and one was 204g, the other was 206g.
Last edited by savechief on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Veloflex + Vredestein latex inner tube*. Magical ride, longlasting and no flats.... Provided you know the secrets. :lol:

*Latex inners have their downsides as well as their limitations but when and where appropriate they do deliver.

Just my opinion, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bricky21

by bricky21

Veloflex/Vredestein is my favorite for racing, but I've found the Veloflex to be very difficult to get on and of of rims which I wouldn't want to deal with on the side of the road. The other thing is that those tubes are nearly impossible to get...at least for the common consumer.