Lemond Revolution trainer and noise level

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Yup, this trainer is hella loud. I don't think you can get away with romping hard any trainer in an apartment building without your neighbors downstairs wondering if their ceiling is going to cave in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bvb45

by Bvb45

My latest post shows a "muffler" / "silencer" for the trainer, a grate of kinds, but it will probably ruin the PPM that comes with the trainer for extra cash.

However if ya got a normal Powermeter, then its brilliant and the trainer seems less loud unless the video cheat and don't thrash the trainer to max loudness output or so.

It is after all a Chinese video.
My Intro, TT bike and Aero/WW Upgrade plan
"A forum post should be like a skirt - long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting."

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Bvb45, isn't the video showing that it's a lot quieter with the fan cover removed?

Bvb45

by Bvb45

5 8 5 wrote:Bvb45, isn't the video showing that it's a lot quieter with the fan cover removed?

Aaah, yeah it does, sorry! That makes this trick even better!

I thought it was added, and my Chinese isn't good enough to read the subtitles :)

- Does someone have a Lemond Revolution who can test this? (would be AWESOME if it works without too big consequences other than probably rendering the optional PPM useless)
"A forum post should be like a skirt - long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting."

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Bvb45,
Good find btw. Been thinking about getting one and was hoping the noise level could be reduced.
I'm wandering if it affects the performance or cooling in any way.

CoachFergie

by CoachFergie

Just taken the cover off mine. Quieter and more resistance. I know the Elite's take the covers of the BT-ATS ergs to add resistance.

In a set gear at set cadence 40 watts harder without the fan and slightly quieter.
Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

Bvb45

by Bvb45

Thx Hamish for some confirm on this.

Asked Lemond themselves and got this:

I would definitely not suggest operating the Revolution without the fan shroud installed being that it could cause injury to one’s self. And yes, It would throw off the power curve of the fan and cause inaccurate readings. You could definitely still pull a wattage reading off a crank or pedal based wattage meter, but I definitely do not suggest operating the Revolution without the shroud, and it seems to me like the advantages gained are not worth the risk.

Well, as long as one is on the bike and don't have any kids or pets nearby, I suppose it's still a viable solution if the only way to use it in one's flat is if it's quieter. The powercurve he mentions, is from the Power Pilot Meter(PPM) one can buy to the Lemond as an addition.

dlight

by dlight

Just to summarize,

Removing the exhaust shroud will:

Increase resistance by about 40 watts
Decrease noise
Make the power pilot less accurate.
What about the feel of the road?

But the power will still be relative if I start the winter training season base on power with the shroud off then it doesn't really matter.

Since the transmitter is ANT then can I use my powertap head unit? Then I can skip buying a PPM.

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Does anyone here know the actual weight of a Lemond erg? I don't have any scales here at home.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I'm just brushing up on my Mandarin, will report back as soon as I can read the subtitles.