V-brakes for cyclocross frame

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

I have Ultegra STI-shifters - is it possible to use v-brakes with these shifters if I use a avid magic roller for more cabelpulling?

Note: I'm new into cyclocross and have never ridden a cyclocross-bike before so I'm just planing my Ridley Supercross build. Maybe avid shorty's have the same brakingpower? I just remember going from the old cantilever brakes to v-brakes there was a big difference in performance and maybe this would be the same with cyclocross?!

Tim

by Tim

yes, it's possible to use v-brakes on a cross with the for cablepulling-adapter

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

but is it really nessesary? I don't see any of the pros using v-brakes so maybe it's overkill with v-brakes instead of cantilever brakes like Avid Shorty and so on!

Tim

by Tim

i would say no, it's not neacessary. you should loose the grip before in the mud and on the road, the traditional roadbrakes is enough as the cantilevers.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Thanks Tim - I will drop the v-brakes and go for the Avid Shorty's! If I'm really convinced I would loooove to have a set of spooky carbon brakes! Looks really cool!

pinky

by pinky

Several of the Seven riders were using them last season, had a pully right at the arm of the V-brake, looked like McConologue (sp?) was the only one who wasn't using them since she was sponsored by FRM.

HarryFrmWhtcastl

by HarryFrmWhtcastl

I wouldn't use v brakes either. I ran that set up with my cross bike and quickly changed it shortly thereafter. Wheel changes with v brakes took forever, and they squeeked on steep descents.

Boonen

by Boonen

you can get special small v-brakes for cyclocross frames that work with road levers. I haven't used them but there shouldn't be much difference with canti's in brakingpower because the arms are so small. Because of this the brakecable runs pretty close to the tire which can build up mud and grass when racing in the wet.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Thanks Boonen - good point in going for the centerpulled cantilever brakes for better mud clearance!

Mr. Moots

by Mr. Moots

If you want massive brake power, try the Paul Neo Retro, soon to be fittet on my Psychlo-X.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

I'll take them instead of your avid shorty brakes - thanks 8)

I also think that the avid brakes will fit your bike better than mine hehe!