Challenge NEW Limus mud tubular

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

challenge
in the industry

by challenge

http://www.cxmagazine.com/challenge-tir ... e-unveiled

More news shortly and any comments are welcome.

:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Peter_E

by Peter_E

When will they be available in Europe?

andyp

by andyp

Are the sidewalls pre-proofed against rotting or will Aquaseal or some other form of sealant have to be applied?

challenge
in the industry

by challenge

Peter_E wrote:When will they be available in Europe?

Will are in production now and count to have them in Europe late August beginning of September available in stores.

challenge
in the industry

by challenge

andyp wrote:Are the sidewalls pre-proofed against rotting or will Aquaseal or some other form of sealant have to be applied?

Our casing has been upgraded to 300TPI and we use polyester spun. The advantage of polyester compared to cotton used by other companies is that poly is a more stable material. Does not absorb water, maintains its characteristics in time and is a bit stronger than cotton spun. The outside is coated with latex but as the tire is being used the latex may wear out a bit so we do suggest a very thin layer of Aquaseal or similar product. This helps prevent the little sand, mud ecc to penetrate between the
threads of the casing.
Thank you for pointing this out. :thumbup:

challenge
in the industry

by challenge

Reminder for tubulars MAINTANANCE:

During race and after race maintenance please lower pressure of your hydro cleaners.
These machines are fantastic but not really indicated for bike care in general. If you consider that they are used for removing paint from walls, rubber from runways that shows how much power they have. To remove the mud from the wheels/tyres during a race a simple hose connected to a tap is sufficient and you don’t need 5000psi. this also damages the tread adhesion and the sidewalls. It roomers the latex and eventual Aquaseal.
If you use this type of machine reduce pressure and close the nozel so that widens the water jet.
Wheels, BB and headsets are today effected by this also. Even if they are sealed the pressure of the water is able to get in and it will rust your bearings and we have seen lot of these cases even at the Tour de France. Constant greasing and baring changes are made nowadays due to this.

kipianie

by kipianie

For what kind of circumstances can this tire be used?

challenge
in the industry

by challenge

kipianie wrote:For what kind of circumstances can this tire be used?

Designed to be a pure mud tire

andyp

by andyp

challenge wrote:
Our casing has been upgraded to 300TPI and we use polyester spun. The advantage of polyester compared to cotton used by other companies is that poly is a more stable material. Does not absorb water, maintains its characteristics in time and is a bit stronger than cotton spun. The outside is coated with latex but as the tire is being used the latex may wear out a bit so we do suggest a very thin layer of Aquaseal or similar product. This helps prevent the little sand, mud ecc to penetrate between the
threads of the casing.
Thank you for pointing this out. :thumbup:

No problem, and thanks for the swift response.

I was using a pair of Grifos last year and thought they were excellent except in muddy conditions, so am very interested in getting a pair of these.

schmergwa

by schmergwa

Does anyone have insight on the mounting direction of the limus? (witch way do the y's go? front and rear?

challenge
in the industry

by challenge

With the launch of the Limus the question has been raised “which direction
does the tire need to be mounted”? Theoretically it has no direction in the
sense that it’s like the Grifo tread pattern. If it is used with the “Y” shaped
knobs facing forward it should offer more grip in muddier, wet conditions.
If the “Y” shaped knobs were facing backwards it would be a faster rolling
tire. The long part of the “Y” will enter the mud first so and it will open up
the mud then the “Y” will grab. In the first case it’s the opposite theory. The
“V” part of the “Y” enters the mud and has a scoop effect and the tails
keeps then a pressure in the mud to keep giving you traction.

http://www.challengetech.it
:beerchug:

LVGH

by LVGH

Now we need logos on both sides to aesthetically please those who prefer a combination of grip and speed :mrgreen:
I've seen the tubular pop up at several online vendors but no sign of the clincher yet (in Europe). Hope they will be available soon as well.

challenge
in the industry

by challenge

LVGH wrote:Now we need logos on both sides to aesthetically please those who prefer a combination of grip and speed :mrgreen:
I've seen the tubular pop up at several online vendors but no sign of the clincher yet (in Europe). Hope they will be available soon as well.

You are correct. Open Limus was only for the US market since we knew the mould was coming in late and were not able to supply both markets. In any case a shipment is going to Europe in a week and will also be available there but in limited quantity.

If you want to make sure to get a pair send us mail at info@challengetech.it

Frans

by Frans

Ok, for a front wheel I want MAX control in corners in mud.

Which way do I mount the Limus? Please explain either w.r.t. to the tread or w.r.t. to the decal, i.e. which side out does the decal go (assuming the Thais put them on consistently)?

Cheers, I got my first pair and am stoked to give them a go this weekend, been raining non-stop in the UK this autumn. It's proper nasty.

challenge
in the industry

by challenge

Frans wrote:Ok, for a front wheel I want MAX control in corners in mud.

Which way do I mount the Limus? Please explain either w.r.t. to the tread or w.r.t. to the decal, i.e. which side out does the decal go (assuming the Thais put them on consistently)?

Cheers, I got my first pair and am stoked to give them a go this weekend, been raining non-stop in the UK this autumn. It's proper nasty.

Theoretically it has no direction in the
sense that it’s like the Grifo tread pattern. If it is used with the “Y” shaped
knobs facing forward it should offer more grip in muddier, wet conditions.
If the “Y” shaped knobs were facing backwards it would be a faster rolling
tire.

I hope this is clear

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com