Z3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

manny

by manny

Anyone out there riding Z3s who weighs between 180 and 190? How are they on descents or crits with many turns? Recommendations welcomed for good crit wheel. Considering Reynolds, Zipp, Campy, AC, Rolf. Tubulars only. Don't want to wait for Lightweights.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rogue_M3

by Rogue_M3

I've got a set of LEWs and a brand new set of Reynolds Stratus DVs. I weigh 210 right now and dropping. They are as stiff or stiffer than my ksyriums which tells you that they are pretty solid. They are also light and relatively aero.

Superlite

by Superlite

They are also light and relatively aero

Relatively aero? 46mm deep, you can't get much more aero then that. :roll:

manny

by manny

The Stratus are good and weigh about 1250. I was hoping to get under 1150. The DVUL weigh 1130. Any experience with those? Is it unrealistic for me to expect to get a wheelset under 1150 to perform well in crits based on my weight of 180-190?

JTC

by JTC

Hey mannny I am in that range and I have been riding 303's for years with no problems. If you want more info on how they perform send me a PM.

Rogue_M3

by Rogue_M3

QUOTE: Relatively aero? 46mm deep, you can't get much more aero then that.

Uhmm let's see - Hed Alps 51mm, Zipp 404 58mm. It looks like you can get more aero than that. :wink:

The Stratus DV-UL are made from a higher grade of composite and according to Reynolds they are the same strength as the standard Stratus. Call Reynolds and ask them if you would be able to ride the DV-UL at your weight. You can also special order them with 20f/24r spokes if that would make you feel a little more comfortable.

Superlite

by Superlite

Uhmm let's see - Hed Alps 51mm, Zipp 404 58mm. It looks like you can get more aero than that.

WOW! Something deeper then 46mm! :roll:I didn't say you couldn't get more aero, I said you couldn't get much more aero. Noobs know everything don't they? :wink:

And for the Stratus DV-UL there is no "written" weight limit, but if your under 250lbs its all good.

Rogue_M3

by Rogue_M3

Newbie???? If I recall correctly, you're 23 aren't you? That means you were 6 when I started racing bikes.

Oh the ignorance of youth!

spytech

by spytech

Rogue_M3 wrote:Newbie???? If I recall correctly, you're 23 aren't you? That means you were 6 when I started racing bikes.

DOH!!! :shock:

well i have read in this forum, that reynoldscomposite might sell the rims alone, and thats what i am looking forward for. build Cirro - SV - KOM up with some nice spada hubs, and you just might have a 950g wheelset - well maybe not 950g but i would bet it's under 1000g

i have also heard that RC Rims are alot stronger than zipps. (some measurements 800 to 400) i do not know if they are double the strength, but i know i have read a figure like that around here.

Superlite

by Superlite

Newbie???? If I recall correctly, you're 23 aren't you? That means you were 6 when I started racing bikes.

Your a newb to the board. And I'm 20.

manny

by manny

Don't hold your breath for reynolds rims being sold seperate, they're not going to do it. They will drill them for you with more spokes but will not sell rims only. Called today and actually got the owner when I called, nice guy, they really care about their products and are willing to take the wheels back if you're not happy with them and make changes for you.

spytech

by spytech

maybe i can send in some hubs, and they will custom build them for me :idea: now that would be great :D

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

Reynolds also makes the stratus in a cyclocross set-up. It has a higher spoke count. 1280gm a set.

They are putting out a clincher disk later this year as well

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com