Best ways to drop a couple hundred grams

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Fatti

by Fatti

Okay folks, where is the best most economical place for me to get 200-250 grams lighter given the following setup:

-aluminum 6000 double butted cx frame with a Ritchey WCS carbon fork (435 grams).
-ritchey pro stem (130 grams) and seatpost
-race face cadence 44cm handlebars
-2010 sram rival crankset (830 grams) w/GXP BB, rival rear der. and rival shifters (320 grams) all 2010
-Easton EA70 X tubular wheelset (1590 grams) with challenge grifo's (32)
-trp brakes

vcnz

by vcnz

What kind of seat post do you have ? Sometime they are much longer than needed
In my case, one of my bikes came with a ritchey alu sp 400mm, I bought a different model and lost about 150 without any big investment

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmcgoy

by dmcgoy

vcnz wrote:What kind of seat post do you have ? Sometime they are much longer than needed
In my case, one of my bikes came with a ritchey alu sp 400mm, I bought a different model and lost about 150 without any big investment

Even cheaper is cutting it.

Also, for the OP, what's your full build and budget? You could certainly lose a few hundred grams from what you list, but it won't be cheap. The quickest way would be to get a new frame and wheel set.

Fatti

by Fatti

Okay, I'll forumulate a full build list...

Seatpost is a Ritchey Pro. I'm not sure of the length. It's something I could look at.

Budget is around $700.

Guymk

by Guymk

For $700 i would get a used sram force crankset on ebay, you can usually get them for under $200. Replace the seatpost with a thomson Masterpiece, taht should drop some grams.

Fatti

by Fatti

I decided on replacing the Easton EA70 X wheels with Corsa Concpets 98ATR. There's 200 grams for $525.

vcnz

by vcnz

Guymk wrote:Replace the seatpost with a thomson Masterpiece, taht should drop some grams.

...that's exactly what I've done, I couldn't spend my money better

mcarr810

by mcarr810

Push yourself away from the table. Costs nothing in fact you might even save on the grocery bill. Positively impacts your health. What's not to like? :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tjanson

by tjanson

Wouldn't a Red crankset just about get you all 100 grams? You can get those for ok prices used on ebay.