HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 365
Can i use the FSA adapter?

Also for the for the wheels mfg: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wheels-manufact ... dle-shims/
Can the Rotor 3D fits it, given it has no problem with the DA7900 BB.


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:26 am 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:06 am 
Offline
Shop Owner

Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:02 am
Posts: 1969
Location: NoVA/DC
yes, the rotor 3d will fit, as will any 24mm spindle crank, except for sram cranks (they get their own version of the same type of part) or FSA **-light model carbon cranks (will fit with modification)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 365
one more question, i am planning on buying the FSA BB30 Adapter.
But it seems like once i have it installed in, i need a tool to removed it out; as below
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=36374

Do i need to buy it? i got a new bb30 cranks coming in two months time which will replaced the current english threaded one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:29 pm
Posts: 767
Location: Springdale, AR
Need to hijack this thread...

Is Specialized OSBB the same as BB30? Somewhere I read that OSBB is wider than BB30. That mean it won't work with a common BB30 crankset?

_________________
Specialized Allez 06' "Rain Bike" 21.50lbs
Neuvation F100 11' "Road Bike" 16.80lbs
Specialized Tarmac Pro 11' "WW Bike" 14.25lbs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:35 pm
Posts: 19
I've read it's not advised to remove the FSA thread adapter and reuse the frame with bb30 bearings as it stretches/deforms the tube especially if it's an ali insert in a carbon frame. If you're looking to use bb30 in the future I advise either a Raceface bb30 adapter like I use, or the plastic adapters thisisatest posted.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:38 pm
Posts: 1104
Location: Toronto
StuTheWeak wrote:
Need to hijack this thread...

Is Specialized OSBB the same as BB30? Somewhere I read that OSBB is wider than BB30. That mean it won't work with a common BB30 crankset?


Spec OSBB is PF 30. Width is the same. Housing diameter is 4mm greater. It is still a BB 30 system, using BB 30 cranksets.

_________________
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:29 pm
Posts: 767
Location: Springdale, AR
While I certainly don't want to fork out the money to buy a new BB30 crankset...it seems like an anti-weightweenie tactic to add the weight of an adapter in addition to the heavier crankset design (gxp).

With that said I've been eye balling an S-Works SL3 with bb30...part of me just wants to buy a new crankset to match the frame and extra weight savings. Descisions, descisions...

_________________
Specialized Allez 06' "Rain Bike" 21.50lbs
Neuvation F100 11' "Road Bike" 16.80lbs
Specialized Tarmac Pro 11' "WW Bike" 14.25lbs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:29 pm
Posts: 767
Location: Springdale, AR
bikerjulio wrote:
StuTheWeak wrote:
Need to hijack this thread...

Is Specialized OSBB the same as BB30? Somewhere I read that OSBB is wider than BB30. That mean it won't work with a common BB30 crankset?


Spec OSBB is PF 30. Width is the same. Housing diameter is 4mm greater. It is still a BB 30 system, using BB 30 cranksets.


So, will standard BB30 bearings and a standard SRAM Red BB30 crankset work in a OSBB setup? That's the question that begs to be answered by those in the know...please speak up :)

_________________
Specialized Allez 06' "Rain Bike" 21.50lbs
Neuvation F100 11' "Road Bike" 16.80lbs
Specialized Tarmac Pro 11' "WW Bike" 14.25lbs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:25 pm
Posts: 7
I'm using FSA converter on my Cinelli PRO best off. No one claim for that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:21 am 
Offline
Shop Owner

Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:02 am
Posts: 1969
Location: NoVA/DC
the Specialized OSBB just means that it takes a 30mm spindle. there have been a few variations on that. There are some road ones that take bearings straight in, those are true bb30. the mountain ones until 2011 were not, they were wider. the new systems have a 46mm OD, like PF30, but are NOT PF30. THe frames take a plastic sleeve that holds the bearings, but the lip on the sleeve that sticks out past the frame is a lot thicker. The frame width is also NOT 68mm. it is much narrower...
it is...
wait for it...
61mm. as in sixty-one. very narrow. that the specialized frames can still put up good bb stiffness numbers is amazing. makes me think bbright mightve been a waste of time for cervelo?
the frame measures 68mm with the plastic sleeves pressed in, so with that, the frame is essentially bb30. just dont try to use a pf30 bottom bracket, use the plastic sleeves that the frame comes with and install/remove bearings in that. the bearings come out of those sleeves much easier than the pf30 variety anyways.
the current mountain OSBB with the plastic sleeves essentially adds up to 73mm bb30, btw, but again only when you already count the sleeves.
why specialized did this, i dont know, my guess is that they developed their own thing similar to pf30 at the same time sram was doing their thing, and didnt know what the other was doing...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:50 pm
Posts: 208
thisisatest wrote:
the Specialized OSBB just means that it takes a 30mm spindle. there have been a few variations on that. There are some road ones that take bearings straight in, those are true bb30. the mountain ones until 2011 were not, they were wider. the new systems have a 46mm OD, like PF30, but are NOT PF30. THe frames take a plastic sleeve that holds the bearings, but the lip on the sleeve that sticks out past the frame is a lot thicker. The frame width is also NOT 68mm. it is much narrower...
it is...
wait for it...
61mm. as in sixty-one. very narrow. that the specialized frames can still put up good bb stiffness numbers is amazing. makes me think bbright mightve been a waste of time for cervelo?
the frame measures 68mm with the plastic sleeves pressed in, so with that, the frame is essentially bb30. just dont try to use a pf30 bottom bracket, use the plastic sleeves that the frame comes with and install/remove bearings in that. the bearings come out of those sleeves much easier than the pf30 variety anyways.
the current mountain OSBB with the plastic sleeves essentially adds up to 73mm bb30, btw, but again only when you already count the sleeves.
why specialized did this, i dont know, my guess is that they developed their own thing similar to pf30 at the same time sram was doing their thing, and didnt know what the other was doing...


that was very informative thisisatest. Would like to ask you one more thing about the OSBB of specialized frames. I've been wanting to get a venge frameset (unfortunately only available in OSBB). But also like to keep my campy ultra-torque cranks. Will i be able to use the ultra-torque OS-fit 68x42 (instead of the 68 x 46) BB cups together with the plastic sleeve on my campy cranks? I know campy is also releasing the 68x46 version. But i would prefer the one with the plastic sleeves to minimize creaking in the BB.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:59 am 
Offline
Shop Owner

Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:02 am
Posts: 1969
Location: NoVA/DC
micropox,
sorry, you cannot use campy cranks on the venge, with or without the plastic sleeves. and campy's 68/46 cups (already out) will not help either, as the frame is too narrow for those.
the plastic sleeves are designed to take up tolerance, but not designed for the loads an external cup would place if pressed into them. the cups would pry themselves out.
this OSBB sheet tells all. the venge uses the "carbon osbb" dimensions, like the sworks roubaix and tarmac for 2011.

http://service.specialized.com/collater ... racket.pdf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:50 pm
Posts: 208
thisisatest wrote:
micropox,
sorry, you cannot use campy cranks on the venge, with or without the plastic sleeves. and campy's 68/46 cups (already out) will not help either, as the frame is too narrow for those.
the plastic sleeves are designed to take up tolerance, but not designed for the loads an external cup would place if pressed into them. the cups would pry themselves out.
this OSBB sheet tells all. the venge uses the "carbon osbb" dimensions, like the sworks roubaix and tarmac for 2011.

http://service.specialized.com/collater ... racket.pdf


thanks so much for this info. was about to order those campy cups. Good thing i did not. Guess i have no choice but to use specialized cranks on my campy drivetrain.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:00 am
Posts: 4
Location: Mountain View, CA
I recently got a new Cannondale SuperSix frameset and was hoping to be able to get my standard/BSA Quarq (SRAM S975) to fit using the Wheels Mfg adapters, but on first attempt the adapters are too wide to allow the Quarq crankset to be mounted without binding. I've seen other references to this problem on the forums but no solutions so far. Has anyone come up with a way to make this work?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:19 am
Posts: 648
Location: Brisbane, Oz
http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/ ... apter-68mm

is what I plan on using on my Supersix.


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:31 am 


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], RobertsColnago, Yahoo [Bot] and 34 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Wheels Manufacturing Campy BB30 Adapter

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

carlcurry

21

1284

Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:26 pm

carlcurry View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Ultegra 6700 FD - Clamp Adapter

in Road

esfrost

2

410

Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:05 am

esfrost View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Campy BB30 cup adaptors vs Parlee BB30 cups for Campy

[ Go to page: 1, 2, 3 ]

in Road

GuyGadois

32

2208

Sat May 10, 2014 2:56 am

BRM View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Experience with Sram PF30 : BSA adapter installation ?

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

stormur

24

451

Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:51 am

Powerful Pete View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) BB30 help needed

in Road

mali

1

190

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:04 pm

aaric View the latest post


It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:13 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB