Lightweight Top Cap Expander Bolt for SuperSix

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Slayer33

by Slayer33

Someone on this forum once said that I could potentially drop some weight by swapping out the stock expander bolt in my SuperSix with a lighter one.

I am not familiar with these things, as all my previous bikes have had the star nut system.

I found this one on ebay, and am wondering if @ 50 grams is it going to be lighter than my stock one? Its very cheap and if I can shave a few grams for little money that'd be great.

Can someone help me out here?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120663780287?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
2009 Scott Spark 50 - 22.9 lbs / 10.38 kg
2011 Cannondale SuperSix 5 - 15.35 lbs / 6.96 kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTBike

by VTBike

I think most people on this site use the Tune Gum Gum.. check here:
http://fairwheelbikes.com/tune-gum-gum-p-310.html

At $17, and 9 grams, its worlds better than what your looking at.

SUCycling88

by SUCycling88

Its lighter..... but not much... take a look at the Extralite Ultrastar 2.. I'm using it on my System Six with a Super Six fork and it works great... plus its wicked light

Robroyski

by Robroyski

...and if you want save even more weight you can add this nice Tune cap.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/tune-carbon-t ... -1368.html

I use this combo and it works like a charm. :-D

tranquilo

by tranquilo

Hello!
I was in the same dilema...
I went with:
Extralite Expander UltraStar II

+

I think tune makes a even more light topcap but I wanted the white graphics :oops:

The original FSA Expander is 48g, so 36g saved. Not too bad.

Looks good too:

edit:
Sorry guys, didn't see the replies while I was writing mine.

CBRE

by CBRE

Robroyski wrote:...and if you want save even more weight you can add this nice Tune cap.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/tune-carbon-t ... -1368.html

I use this combo and it works like a charm. :-D

Im running this one also, pretty sweet.
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s

Slayer33

by Slayer33

GREAT! Thanks for all the replies! The top cap and expander bolt from Tune are super light! :)

Does anyone know what the weight is of the stock one (FSA I think) that comes from Cannondale? If not, I'll take mine out tonight and pop it onto the scale.

Only crappy part of ordering from Fairwheel Bikes is the shipping cost to Canada. Its gonna cost $37 for the expander and top cap plus another $20 for shipping :(

Since we're all on the topic, any one else have any other suggestions on dropping more weight? I'll post a new thread I think for this question. :thumbup:
2009 Scott Spark 50 - 22.9 lbs / 10.38 kg
2011 Cannondale SuperSix 5 - 15.35 lbs / 6.96 kg

devinci

by devinci

IIRC mine was 45g or so, check in my sig for my caad9 build

I went with an extralight ultrastar2 and tune top cap, sick light, no problem with it. The extralight does its job just fine.

CBRE

by CBRE

Slayer33 wrote:GREAT! Thanks for all the replies! The top cap and expander bolt from Tune are super light! :)

Does anyone know what the weight is of the stock one (FSA I think) that comes from Cannondale? If not, I'll take mine out tonight and pop it onto the scale.

Only crappy part of ordering from Fairwheel Bikes is the shipping cost to Canada. Its gonna cost $37 for the expander and top cap plus another $20 for shipping :(

Since we're all on the topic, any one else have any other suggestions on dropping more weight? I'll post a new thread I think for this question. :thumbup:

The FSA unit from my 2012 CD is 50g exactly, I still have to use it to set headset tension as the Tune unit would break doing so.
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s

daftguy

by daftguy

Slayer33 wrote:GREAT! Thanks for all the replies! The top cap and expander bolt from Tune are super light! :)

Yeah it really sucks that everything we need is sold in the states and the shipping cost is stupid expensive... Fairwheels has gotta do something about that.
2008 Scott CR1 SL (6.32kg///13.9Lbs)

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

the ultrastar2 and matching topcap comes in at 11.4g i have the black cap and the ultrastar2, which is a better designed preload plug than the gum gum

SL58

by SL58

I am very fond of this device too:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... edge+clamp

If you replace bolt with Alu. M6 it is lighter than GumGum.

VTBike

by VTBike

[/quote] The FSA unit from my 2012 CD is 50g exactly, I still have to use it to set headset tension as the Tune unit would break doing so.[/quote]

Why is this the case? What bike, and why do you have to tighten so much to just get the play out of the headset? I'm curious simply because I too have the FSA, and want to change to a tune or other lightweight part.

traydawg

by traydawg

Slayer33-
I just bought a used 2008 Himod and I am going to use Fairwheel Bikes for this mod. I had a low 14lb CAAD 9 build and I am trying to get this Supersix in that range. Did you find anymore weight savings you'd like to share?
Thanks- :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

surfsjp

by surfsjp

Slayer33-
I just bought a used 2008 Himod and I am going to use Fairwheel Bikes for this mod. I had a low 14lb CAAD 9 build and I am trying to get this Supersix in that range. Did you find anymore weight savings you'd like to share?
Thanks- :beerchug:[/quote]

I'm looking into this setup also, both sold out at fairwheelbikes. Any other places carry them? No luck searching so far.