New Lynskey Helix

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

After much deliberation, I finally decided on replacing my Lynskey L3 with a new Helix. I have had it about a month and have made a few changes from it's orginal spec (primarily crank and seatpost). Here's the Build list:

Frame: Lynskey Helix Handbrushed finish w/ etched logos (medium, approx 1250 gms)
Fork: Enve 2.0 with Ultra Star plug
Bar: Easton EC90 SLX 44cm
Stem: Syntace F119 w/ti bolt kit
Tape: Bike ribbon Eleganza
Headset: Chris King
Cables: Campy
Group: Campy Record
Pedals: Speedplay Stainless
Bottle Cages: 25gm Carbon
Seatpost: Toronto Cycles Ti Setback post 250mm/31.6
Saddle: Specialized Romin Ti Rails
Brakes: Negative G c/Reynolds Blue pads
Wheels/Tires: Reynolds Attack Clinchers w/Vittoria Open CX Corsas w/Vittoria latex tubes
Custom White Industries/Sapim CX Ray/OP Ceramic w/Open Paves and Vittoria latex tubes

Total weight with Carbon Clichers is 15.5 lbs and right under 16 with my trusty WI/Ceramic OPs.
With Reynolds/OPen Corsas:
With Mavic OP Ceramics/Open Paves:

The ride is everything I had hoped for. VERY similiar to my old L3 with a hint of extra stiffness. Love it!
My only future change will likely be to go back to an FSA compact bar. I love the weight of the easton but I miss the shape of the FSA bars I have on all my other bikes.
Last edited by Ramjm_2000 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

Bike looks great, well done :thumbup:

The handlebar / shifter positioning looks a bit funky though, although it could be the camera angle. Or maybe you prefer it that way.

Either way, solid build.

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

It's the angle. Although they have a very slight tilt (due to injured wrist) the tops of the bars and shifters are pretty much level to the ground.

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

Solid :thumbup:

How about posting some close-ups of the frame?
More than 10 years a Weenie!

jghall

by jghall

Agreed, very nicely done.

Looking for some bar tape just like that, so thanks for passing along a lead.

Enjoy the ride. Regards, Jeff

dcj9

by dcj9

really nice execution :thumbup:

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

Thanks guys. I've got a few future projects (besides the bars) to get the bike down to about 15 even (ti spindles, ti bolts, tune the seatpost...). As for close ups, I'm away on buisness so they will have to wait a few days.

J

rowerowymaniak

by rowerowymaniak

Hello, A very nice bike! I need some help from you. I have the opportunity to buy a Lynskey Helix frame in size M only for EUR 1050, just like this one in the pictures above. But I wonder whether it will not be a bit too small for me,
because I am 177 cm (5 ft 9.5 in) tall. The manufacturer suggests for me the "ML" size. Could you please tell me how tall you are? What are your riding experiences and especially what is your position and whether it is comfortable to you.
Regards,
CyclingManiac

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Very nice.

And yeah, taking the photo from a lower then the bars tends to make them a little funky looking if they aren't totally flat.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

rowerowymaniak wrote:Hello, A very nice bike! I need some help from you. I have the opportunity to buy a Lynskey Helix frame in size M only for EUR 1050, just like this one in the pictures above. But I wonder whether it will not be a bit too small for me,
because I am 177 cm (5 ft 9.5 in) tall. The manufacturer suggests for me the "ML" size. Could you please tell me how tall you are? What are your riding experiences and especially what is your position and whether it is comfortable to you.
Regards,
CyclingManiac

CM,

Sorry I missed your post, I haven't logged on for a bit. As for your question, I'm 5'9" as well and could go either way (M or ML) but based on my prefered stem lenghth and saddle to bar drop I went with a M on my last 2 Lynskeys. Your extra 1/2 inch might put you even closer to the "edge" b/w sizes. Hope that helps and congrats on the sweet deal.

JR

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

It's beautiful, despite the debate on Lynksey's vs. Pinarellos - this is still somehow elegant and perhaps classic while maintaining an aire of aggressiveness (the twist? your choice of build?)

Great, great rig you've got there. Ride on.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

elviento

by elviento

That's an all business ti rig with great posture. Lack of red highlights on the Campy group actually works out well.

I am normally pretty good at nitpicking on builds, but I tried and failed to find any fault with this one.

The twist, in my mind more of a styling feature, is certainly unique and nicely executed.

BTW, I find a light spray of Pledge and a quick wipe down will give you a more consistent ti color when taking photos.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

prendrefeu wrote:It's beautiful, despite the debate on Lynksey's vs. Pinarellos - this is still somehow elegant and perhaps classic while maintaining an aire of aggressiveness (the twist? your choice of build?)

Great, great rig you've got there. Ride on.

Thanks much, I appreciate the kind words. I wish I could say I've been putting her through her paces recently but I'm in the midst of pre-deployment training for an all expense paid trip to the Afghanistan. I've been running more than riding given the circumstances. I've totally missed the Pinarello vs. Lynskey debate, guess I need to check it out.

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

elviento wrote:That's an all business ti rig with great posture. Lack of red highlights on the Campy group actually works out well.

I am normally pretty good at nitpicking on builds, but I tried and failed to find any fault with this one.

The twist, in my mind more of a styling feature, is certainly unique and nicely executed.

BTW, I find a light spray of Pledge and a quick wipe down will give you a more consistent ti color when taking photos.

Thanks...she really does ride like a dream. As I stated in the first couple of posts I'll be doing some minor tuning but the next component change will definately be the brakes. I'm on the fence b/w either putting my favs back on (mavic SSC), going all out on a set of EE brakes, or giving the planet X CNC'd a try (I heard great things about them).

nspace

by nspace

Great looking build! I have been thinking about building a R230 with similar specs.

The seatpost looks really good on that frame. Did you can get an actual weight for it. Also do you have any close up's of the clamping area? Is it nice and quiet?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com