Cronus CX : what's the verdict?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Frans

by Frans

Has anyone since bough a Chronus? I think they're lovely as well (paint job isn't the most flash) but just getting one in the UK would be nigh on impossible...

The earlier comment about discs is true : buying a £/$4000 crosser with cantis and no discs *might* seem like missing out, however I suspect for many riders who are a) light, b) know how to set their brakes up, c) live somewhere flat or dry, or d) want the lightest possible rig might look at discs and say "unnecessary complication".

rdy357

by rdy357

I have one and it is great.
I am using it on the road lately and put on some lightweight tubulars on.
It is sub 15lbs with good wheels.
It rides great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frans

by Frans

Could I trouble you for a pic or two please? Where did you find it? (city/country).

Just did my first race of the season and am lusting after something lighter/taughter/stiffer already.

rdy357

by rdy357

Frans wrote:Could I trouble you for a pic or two please? Where did you find it? (city/country).

Just did my first race of the season and am lusting after something lighter/taughter/stiffer already.

I can post some tomorrow. So far I like it. I used to work at a shop and knew the local rep. They have plenty in stock and I expect shops to carry them since cx season is now here. It has been off road twice, but I have been also using it as my road bike. Changed the chainrings and it has been great on the road. I think it is just as nice as my last Trek Madone.

rdy357

by rdy357

I like this bike, but I will probably sell it.
I put tubeless on it and rode it all summer as my road bike.
I bought it based on top tube length, but it is a little too tall for CX racing.
I found that out and it hurt.
I would buy the size down if I did not just buy a Parlee Z4 and build it up.
I will post a pic of that one in the road bike section.

Guymk

by Guymk

What do you mean it is "too tall"? Is the bb too high?

rdy357

by rdy357

No, it is just a tall bike.
If I rode a 60 on the road, it would fit well for cross.
It looks like you need to size down one full size from your standard Trek/Fisher size.
I have ridden Trek Madone in size 58 for years and it fit well.
The 58 Cronus CX has a 56.5 top tube so I thought that would do well.
The stand over is at my max (33.2") and I never looked at that when I ordered it.

SirEddy

by SirEddy

Agree with the comments about it being a tall bike. I bought a 61cm Cronus and I love it. Stiff, light, good mud clearance. A great cross and winter bike. Biggest problem is the ridiculously long head tube. I took al the spacers out, reversed the stem, even changed the headset cap for a lower attack height, just can't get the bars low enough. Have settled on what I have which is ok for cross, but probably too high for road.
Long live long rides

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Two of these have broken at the top tube in the last 2 local races. They both broke the same way when the rider slid out and the bars came around and dinged the top tube. This is not the first carbon bike I have seen this happen to so maybe this is anecdotal but it seemed odd that 2 bikes 2 weeks both Cronus broke.

rdy357

by rdy357

OUCH
It seems to be a good bike.
I am amazed that there are not more out there.
There have been none here in my area.

vcnz

by vcnz

rdy357 wrote:....I am amazed that there are not more out there

I was interested in that bike but removed it from my wishlist when I discovered Trek does not sell the frameset only
Also the non-standard bb will make that frame less popular than it should be, I think

rdy357

by rdy357

The BB is just wider.
My SRAM900 crankset is a 24mm spindle and is standard length.
I put my rotor 3d cranks on there no problem.
Mine is on eBay now for a great price.
If I don't sell it, then I will start selling it as parts.