pro's trainning programm during build phaze

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kom

by kom

Do any body have an example for a PRO's train program during the build phaze like Force,Sprint,Power... intervals.

i want to see how it all structure together and what kind of workout thay do, then extract a prog for my self with reduced intensity and interval duration.

Perry

by Perry

there are NO short cuts
you probably need a pro program as much as a fish needs a bicycle
buy a book or hire a coach

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

okr

by okr

Perry wrote:there are NO short cuts

who talked about shortcuts? What do you know about the needs of others on the forum? I really dislike these kinds of answers to a question, it has no relevance to the subject. I would find it interesting to read any good replies to this thread.

kom

by kom

Perry wrote:there are NO short cuts

I did had a coach, then i replaced him with a nice book.
cause i found that its not worth paying to a coach to tell u known things from books......

I trained with the book for 1-2 years and its ok.
I want to see an example for PRO just to see new developed technics
for quality workouts.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

You're probably looking at 700-1000km a week during the base section.

During the build phase some use a 6 week block to increase their workload before having a easy week on the 6th and building again. It's called periodisation by some coaches.

What type of work they do will vary between athlete and coach.

big fellow

by big fellow

true, what a silly response - the guy just asked for specific examples....

Bruiser is on the money here, 700km plus is not unusual for a week's training. Some of them do weight training as well, very low weight and in the 50 repetition range!

Periodisation varies, the classic Tudor Bompa periodisation works on a 3 on, 1 off cycle. However, as Bruiser said this varies with coach and athlete and by all means should be experimented with

I am not aware of published research on this, though i do have some on their neuromuscular characteristics which is pretty much off topic....

cheers

Perry

by Perry

sorry for the snotty answer but i hear "i want to train like a pro" way too often. most of you know that all pros start to train from a early age and have way diffrent goals with their training with races around 50-100 days a year and most of us with a life only races a few days a year, they do nothing but train - we don´t! (if you´re taking the cycling thing seriously you should have a team or a club that can help you if they cant, find one that can help you) ask around if your fellow racers know of a good coach at cyclingnews they have a good coaching advice that might help and this dudes site might be of some help http://www.gregggermer.com/wattage.htm

and guys, pros and others pay money for help from a coach not everything is free on the net.....

John979

by John979

In various forums, both online and print, Dr. Allen Lim provided a good deal of insight into the kind of training Floyd Landis does for the Tour de France. Collectively, what I was able to piece together was quite interesting and somewhat contrary to what you might find in a book. Moreover, Lim’s approach seems to match the kind of training some other notable GC contenders perform.

1) All training is power based. Floyd Landis does not train or race without a power meter.
2) The concept of base is quite different – no LSD training. Most work is L3 and L4 zones.* Volume builds but intensity is always fair high.
3) Most training is in the mountains, >100,000 vertical feet per month.
4) Periodization is not strict, especially in microcycles. The concept is to maximize work volume in particular zones. This is accomplished by going moderately hard to hard for consecutive days until obvious signs of overtraining appear. There are no hard day – easy day – hard day cycles. Lots of block training.
5) Miles are irrelevant – training volume is tracked by kilojoules of work with some other sophisticated analytic means of determining accumulated stress, along with perceived feeling. This is what I like about Lim the most. While he uses the latest technological tools and analysis, his fundamental approach is decidedly unstructured – no if it is Tuesday it must be endurance day…
6) I saw do not remember reading any reference to interval training. My guess is instead of intervals, Landis probably employs an approach similar to Armstrong – climb at a steady state just below FTP (Functional Threshold Power) then accelerate above it, maintain that for 5 minutes or so then drop back a bit. Maybe do this a couple times during the climb. Another approach is to climb at FTP and end the climb hard – very effective.
7)
* I have seen Lance Armstrong quoted several times as saying the best way to increase FTP is to work at or just below FTP and minimize time above.
John979

big fellow

by big fellow

that all sounds interesting John....you have any links at all for that?

cheers

kom

by kom

and what about the macrocycles ? still have base,build,peak.....

STARNUT

by STARNUT

big fellow wrote:that all sounds interesting John....you have any links at all for that?

cheers

Looks like Allen Lim is doing a speaking tour where you can go an have so of this stuff (power based) done for you. Power tap seems to be putting it on.

have a look
http://www.cycle-ops.com/power_tour.htm

sounds like a pretty good deal for $200

STARNUT
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

big fellow

by big fellow

is he coming through Asia?

long way to go to hear one presentation.... :roll:

monkey

by monkey

I think you will find even the pros programs have a lot of variety in them. Different goals and racing schedules determine different structure. One post stated phases with 6 weeks and a recovery week on the sixth week. I think this is to long to train before having a recovery week. Whilst the notion of a six week phase is sound, I recommend 3 weeks with increasing workload and the 4th week should be a recovery week, if we don't have enough recovery time, we don't get the maximum adaptation to training. For sure there will be some adaptation, but to fully reap the benefits, we need regular recovery periods.
Books provide good information, but you can't discuss your training schedule, illneses, training, how you are feeling etc with a book. A good coach will provide regular contact and get to know the people they train and how they respond to various training stimuli, what works and what doesn't etc. If you want I can provide contact details for numerous coaches and you can discuss your goals with them.

Cheers

John979

by John979

big fellow wrote:is he coming through Asia?

long way to go to hear one presentation.... :roll:

While I would very much like to attend Dr. Lim’s lecture (I have been reading his stuff for two years), given that I live in Manhattan it is easier for me to get to Asia than Northfield, NJ…
John979

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

big fellow

by big fellow

when is it on again? will be in NY in november....