SRAM Red, i-Links and Powercordz

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Is anyone doing this combination with any success? There is an excellent writeup over by Sedluk used on his Cervelo with campy. I just wanted to know if it runs ok with Red. I read that the Red shifters can be tricky with the powercordz.

Thanks

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

brakes, no problems. derailleurs- I haven't tried the 1.2mm cordz yet- I had run the larger diameter ones and they shredded inside the shifters, causing spotty shifting. I've read the 1.2's work (from other WW), but haven't tried it yet- not sure about the cordz working w/ mini i-links either.
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pierre-san

by pierre-san

I ran the 1.2mm with yumeya housing and it was flawless. The tricky bit is threading the cable through the shifter, but once that is done you should be good to go.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Hopefully Matt from Powercordz will chime in and answer
1) will powercordz work with I-Link minis?
2) how do we avoid the fraying of the Powercordz while in the shifters?

bricky21

by bricky21

Sram specifies 1.1mm cables for their shifters, so thats probably why some say it's a little tricky. I run 1.2 mm 7800 uncoated cables in my force shifters, but when I tried some Shimano 1.2mm PTFE coated cables I could not get them threw. My point is that 1.2mm is going to be the absolute limit, so depending on the tolerances of both Powercordz and your shifters you may or may not have a tough time with them. Hope that puts you at ease :P

PowerCordz
in the industry

by PowerCordz

Good questions, gumgardner.

As for the fraying inside of the shifters, nosed ferrules will eliminate fraying at the contact point within the shifter. I posted a few photos below.

As for the i-link mini's, 1.2's won't fit in the mini i-links, but will fit in regular i-links. Here's why: the inside of the links are not deburred. Some manufactures (as we've found with the i-links) don't deburr the inside of their components, leaving the inner surface coarse, which will cause fraying over time. Housing liners will fix this in some cases, as is the case with Nokon housing, but a liner/power cordz combination will not work within the mini i-links. Theoretically, you could manually deburr the inside of each mini i-link, but we haven't tried it and so we can't recommend it.

Also, all new Power Cordz systems are shipped with tie-off grommets (rubber pieces that protect metal-on-metal contact at the tie-off point), nosed ferrules (to eliminate fraying at any anchor point, i.e., your SRAM shifters), and housing lining (to protect from the cord at the bottom bracket). I know you want to work with your existing system, however, so send me an email at matt@iodupont.com and I think we can work something out.

Thanks for keeping me busy this morning!
-Matt
Attachments
IMG_5529.JPG
IMG_5522.jpg
IMG_5525.jpg
IMG_5528.jpg
IMG_55299.jpg

sungod

by sungod

fwiw i'm running powercordz wth sram red (2010) and nokon

i changed bars recently, so had the cables out, no sign of any fraying, haven't had any problems threading the cables through either, maybe it's only some red shifters with the issue?

/frantically touching wood now to stave off any famous last words induced fraying

PowerCordz
in the industry

by PowerCordz

Sungod,

We're happy the Cordz aren't causing you any issues. Nearly all Power Cordz users report the cordz working just like they were suppose to, with no fraying and no wear. However, since we don't control the manufacturing of the components in which Power Cordz run, sometimes those components can cause Power Cordz to fray (unpolished surfaces, for example).

Ok, that said, since you had a successful installation, would you want to take some photos of your installation procedure? It might help some people here on the forum. If they're pretty good, we might use them on our site and give you something in return. Your choice, just let me know.

-Matt

wojchiech

by wojchiech

I'm also interested in running powercordz with my SRAM/i-links setup. I'm most worried about the fraying issue, and it looks like the cable systems come with those nosed ferrules. I'd prefer to just get the cables to install with my i-links, but do I have to buy both the brake and shift systems to get those nosed ferrules?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

My cordz run in the setup described by the OP and do not cause me any trouble what so ever. Cordz for braking in I links and Cordz for shifting in mini I links.

Remember: This is the stuff that keeps your bike light.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

gumgardner

by gumgardner

It may not be the lightweight standard for long :wink:

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Please enlighten us!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Vee

by Vee

+1

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Frankie - B wrote:Please enlighten us!

I was sworn to secrecy. Maybe I'll post pics when they arrive (if I have permission). If you saw, I sold my I-Links :wink: ...see there is a method to my madness :twisted:

Gum

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

PowerCordz wrote:Sungod,

We're happy the Cordz aren't causing you any issues. Nearly all Power Cordz users report the cordz working just like they were suppose to, with no fraying and no wear. However, since we don't control the manufacturing of the components in which Power Cordz run, sometimes those components can cause Power Cordz to fray (unpolished surfaces, for example).

Ok, that said, since you had a successful installation, would you want to take some photos of your installation procedure? It might help some people here on the forum. If they're pretty good, we might use them on our site and give you something in return. Your choice, just let me know.

-Matt

i'm happy to take some pics next time i have the tape/hoods off and do some words, no need for anything to me, but if you'd like to make a donation to a charity that'd be cool, i'll pm you at the time