Project "Strade Bianche"

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

HillRPete

by HillRPete

The skinny steel frame looks really grew on me over the last few months, and I wanted to build a bike for hitting the gravel roads for some time. Apparently 2nd hand steel CX frames are hard to find (here), and while looking around the interwebs I really got into vintage bikes. Long story cut short, I ended up with a Colnago Master Piu frameset that I'm fairly happy about.

The plan is to build up a reasonably weight classic looking bike, with a mix of modern and vintage components and 27mm-ish tyres -- if I can get them to fit -- for the gravel. The frame will most likely get a paint job, the stem will stay in all likelihood, I'm really digging its looks.

What I'm totally undecided about is whether to go with down tube shifters or STIs, opinions welcome.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Wow. This is going to be nice. I like the down shifters. How old is the frame?
Good luck :thumbup:

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Unless you are really going for a true period piece, riding with STI / ERGOs on gravel roads will be a lot less hair raising.
There are a bunch of really good refurb projects on WW using older steel framesets with more modern parts.
You can achieve a cool look (and lighter weight) with some modern drivetrain upgrades that make the bike so much more fun to ride.
That frame is really a nice find.
If you can get a hold of a NOS chromed aero post from back in the day, that would be stellar on this frame with the chrome fork and silver stem.
Since the drop outs allow you to pull that rear wheel back, you will probably be able to get some 27's in there!
Keep posting the progress here.
:popcorn:

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Nice frame.

As for your dilemma, it is really to you. STIs will make it easier to handle the bike on gravel, but after all, we all did just fine on down tube shifters.

Ergo (no pun intended) I vote for down tube shifters.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Montana

by Montana

Nice looking Frame! I can't wait to see this project completed

Roobay

by Roobay

the only way this going to look "Right" is by putting all the top end items of that period in cycling, and dependimg on their condition it could cost a fortune :shock:
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Nice!

Which paintjob?

May I suggest:
PRBK paint scheme
Campy 10-speed groupset, alloy crankset and brakes

liam7020

by liam7020

Very nice! If you're actually thinking of riding the Eroica sportive in Italy you'll need to go for down tube levers cos apparently the organizers are fairly strict with regards to the bike tech.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

liam7020 wrote:Very nice! If you're actually thinking of riding the Eroica sportive in Italy you'll need to go for down tube levers cos apparently the organizers are fairly strict with regards to the bike tech.
Unlikely that this frame would be eligible for the Eroica as it is a 1990's frame. Cut-off is 1987, IIRC.

SkyeC

by SkyeC

Why paint?? Looks so nice as-is! Would look great with a set of low-profile rims and skinwall tires. I'd definitely go with modern shifters if you're riding a lot of loose terrain. Much more comfortable and safe, I don't think anyone will argue about that, even the old-timers I talk to have no love for down tube shifters except for nostalgia or period-correct builds.

globalsunset

by globalsunset

Nice find! I wouldn't paint it, it'd lose some of its character :(

Can't wait to see what you do with it!

HillRPete

by HillRPete

gumgardner wrote:Wow. This is going to be nice. I like the down shifters. How old is the frame?
Good luck :thumbup:

Thanks. Probably going with STIs though. Frame is from the late 80s according to this thread on RBR, because it has the old-style bottom bracket.

I'm slowly warming up to the idea of not painting it, will certainly build it up before. Kinda like the idea of having it look like a beat up wreck to the untrained eye.

Here's a preliminary list of what I'd like to put on:

Bars: Deda 215 Shallow 26 Silver, white tape, possibly double wrapped
STIs: Shimano DA 7800 with golden hoods (are there no skin coloured ones?)
Saddle: probably Brooks B15 or Swift
Crank: Tune Fast Foot silver
Pedals, derailleurs: Shimano DA 7800
Chainrings -- undecided
Wheels: probably H+Son TB14 based, PMP or Hope hubs, but probably just BHS ones
Calipers: got older silver Ultegras around.
White Nokon cable housing
White bottle cages

Suggestions?

eurperg

by eurperg

A Brooks saddle is not period-correct for that bike. I would go for a Regal, Turbo, Rolls, etc... and in white.

If you're going for DA 7800, I would get the DA cranks too.

H+Son? Don't they belog to some lame fixie bikes? Reflex rims and Ultegra Hubs would match the groupset and doesn't cost much. Tubulars of course. Veloflex Roubaix is an excellent choice and costs ~55€ each. If you're afraid of tubulars, then Open Pro's in silver.

Nokons on steel bike with chipped paint. Meh. And DON'T you paint it!

It's going to be good if you don't mess it with stupid parts. :thumbup:

BTW, here's a pic of a Master Piu I used to own: http://bit.ly/oAxIvK

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Can't you put your hands on a second hand Veloce or Centaur silver gruppo (around 250 euro in my part of the old world), some second hand hand-build wheels with silver record hubs (around 200 euro), and some cheapo silver handlebars and seatpost?
I really would not choose for Tune/H+son/DA/other-than-black-colored hoods on an old Colnago for l'eroica kind of cycling.
last advice: Michelin sells very cheap (around 10€) clinchers in 28mm with tan sidewalls.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Some progress at last. Found silver Tune Fastfoot crank and Sixpack BB at a nice price washed up at the bay, and a silver Deda 215 Shallow on sale. The frame seems to fit 27mm tyres just fine (tried with 28mm Conti 4 Seasons, which are said to run narrow, but there is some more leeway).

Will run this more budget conscious than planned, as I'm also coveting a TT bike from the scrap I have lying around.

And oh, paint job is called off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com