Tubular Repair

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I hear the new range of Vitto is notoriously hard to repair by hand. Any feedback?

TIA, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ChristianK

by ChristianK

Zigmeister wrote:
Tug Boat wrote:http://www.tirealert.com/

TB

FYI...I tried emailing these guys about repairing Vittoria Corsa CX 3210 TPI with the removable valves...never got a response...maybe they aren't in business although the website is still up.
I just called them to make sure that they are still around..."very much so" I was told. They answered the phone very quickly, my two popped tubulars are off for repairs and one is a Vittoria Corsa CX. I will let you know how that looks when it gets back. You may want to check your spam folder to make sure any e-mails from them did not get stuck there.

Christian.

ksroadie

by ksroadie

lucifer 1306217 - Had same experience with base tape when I removed a Tire Alert repaired tire. No big deal really, but I'm using hexane which makes all this stuff easy peasy anyway. Didn't notice base tape took more glue than usual. Second your opinion on Tire Alert—Ron does fine work at a very reasonable cost.

adam3fam

by adam3fam

I know tubular repair info: Change it with now one :beerchug:

fietser

by fietser

Had a good experience w tire alert too. But that cotton base tape does soak up the glue!

Kasparz

by Kasparz

I might be a bit off topic there, but is there a shop in Europe that is willing to ship a Vittoria Pit Stop via ground to a fellow Europe country?

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

Try wiggle?

LouisN

by LouisN

TO TUBULAR DOCTORS:

I'm trying to locate a leak on my Vittoria Corsa CX 320 tpi (23mm) tire. Almost new (50 miles), hit a huge pothole in a crit. The thread and sidewall show absolutely no marks or cuts. I guess there is a cut, or a pair of cuts in the tube from the shock. The wheel is fine.

I just can't put air inside , because it pours out almost instantly. I know it's around the valve area. I eliminated a leak inside the valve, I blew air with my mouth inside the valve, and the air leaks from somewhere around the base of the valve.
So I pulled part of the basetape off, and un-sew the string ( around 12-14cm). Can't see anything on the tube. Bad part is, with the tube exposed, when I try to pump air in, the thinner latex tube bulges outside, and I can't put enough air again to locate the leak.

What do you advise ?
- Un-do the whole tub, and swap the tube for a new one ? I have a latex Vittoria tube, but it looks thicker (red) than the tubular (green, with removable valve core) one.
- A good way to locate leaks in a "sugically semi opened" tubular ?
- Can the base of the valve be cracked from the hit ?

Louis :)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Some tubulars move in mysterious ways.... :lol:

Can't see anything on the tube. Bad part is, with the tube exposed, when I try to pump air in, the thinner latex tube bulges outside, and I can't put enough air again to locate the leak.

So it does hold air now? :shock:

What I don't understand is that air fled out almost instantly before the casing was opened and now that you did, it doe's no longer...
I suppose when the tyre was reinflated, the punctured area didn't receive any air, hence the bulging. Try to reinflate with the tubular mounted on a spare rim/wheel while keeping an eye on the bulging area. Put in 10 to 15 psi, no need for more.

For a tubular to not hold air at all you'd need a big hole in the inner tube so check the obvious suspects as well: valve core tight enough, extender or stub damaged? That kind of thing.

Keep us posted, ;)

fftulip

by fftulip

ElDuderino wrote:Hey fellow tub peoples...

Liquid latex: where to get it stateside?

Every hardware store or art supply place I walk into just looks at me strangely when I ask about it. Is it known by any other name perhaps?

I got some tires with plenty of tread but tired sidewalls that could use some love...

I found "Latex Seam Sealer" at my local Southern Cal Lowes in the carpet section, look where they have installation/repair supplies for carpeting.

LouisN

by LouisN

fdegrove wrote:What I don't understand is that air fled out almost instantly before the casing was opened and now that you did, it doe's no longer...
I suppose when the tyre was reinflated, the punctured area didn't receive any air, hence the bulging. Try to reinflate with the tubular mounted on a spare rim/wheel while keeping an eye on the bulging area. Put in 10 to 15 psi, no need for more.

For a tubular to not hold air at all you'd need a big hole in the inner tube so check the obvious suspects as well: valve core tight enough, extender or stub damaged? That kind of thing.

Keep us posted, ;)

I located the hole. Pretty big, almost opposite the valve. For the "bulge", I suspect the tube is weaker/thinner on that area because it still bulges instantly when the pressure goes more than a few PSI's. What would you do ? I can change the tube completely, and put a standard latex Vittoria (without removable valve though), or repair this one.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Sorry about the late reply, lost track somehow.

You can do either of your suggestions I guess. I just hope you haven't removed 3/4 of the seam already to get to the punctured area?

Any chance of a pic of the puncture or the tub as it is now?

Ciao, ;)

LouisN

by LouisN

fdegrove wrote: I just hope you haven't removed 3/4 of the seam already to get to the punctured area?

Ciao, ;)

More like 4/5 removed to find it... :cry: I'll try to post a picture or two, once I grab the wife's Iphone.
The "substance" under the basetape is pretty tough to pull off. Feels more like an urethane based rubber :noidea: . I took about 25% of the old string with tonsils, bit by bit, thru the "coating/baseglue"...
For the moment, I'm leaving it on the casing (don't tell me I have to remove it all before gluing the basetape back on !!!). Just removing the old seam, repairing the puncture, and sewing everything back in.
I still have to order some liquid latex to glue the basetape back on the tire...
...Lots of fun in perspective for the off season :)

Bvb45

by Bvb45

Kasparz wrote:I might be a bit off topic there, but is there a shop in Europe that is willing to ship a Vittoria Pit Stop via ground to a fellow Europe country?

http://www.heino-cykler.dk/Komponenter/ ... acing.html

Had trouble finding one too.
My Intro, TT bike and Aero/WW Upgrade plan
"A forum post should be like a skirt - long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting."

LouisN

by LouisN

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Sorry about the late reply, lost track somehow.

You can do either of your suggestions I guess. I just hope you haven't removed 3/4 of the seam already to get to the punctured area?

Ciao, ;)

Here pictures of the punctured tube:
Pretty big task to come (almost 80% of the seam was cut to find the puncture):
Parts where the base-material was removed, exposing the string:
I pulled the base-"rubber like material" to see if it was removable...:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com