Custom Painted Klein Mantra Night Storm w Tinker Autograph

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Phill P

by Phill P

I'm interested in how these bikes ride compared to current FS bikes. The construction is so simple, they must be cheaper to make than all the machined links and pivot points of the current multi link rear ends. Few nice big bearings and straight forward structures.....I mena how complicated does a bike need to be in order for it to be good enough to take out for a good thrashing???

Awesome paint job btw....if Klien ever comes back on the market it better have the paint!
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

junfeng

by junfeng

This supposedly was Mr Gary Klein's most satisfying design. He claims that if it is fitted with a rigid front end, it'll ride like an ordinary hard tail with some shock absorbing function. I do not know much about how this full sus technologies and how they work. Never bothered either...

If Klein ever comes back to the market, I think they will come out with something even whackier than this. :noidea:

Phill P wrote:I'm interested in how these bikes ride compared to current FS bikes. The construction is so simple, they must be cheaper to make than all the machined links and pivot points of the current multi link rear ends. Few nice big bearings and straight forward structures.....I mena how complicated does a bike need to be in order for it to be good enough to take out for a good thrashing???

Awesome paint job btw....if Klien ever comes back on the market it better have the paint!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Phill P wrote:I'm interested in how these bikes ride compared to current FS bikes. The construction is so simple, they must be cheaper to make than all the machined links and pivot points of the current multi link rear ends. Few nice big bearings and straight forward structures.....I mena how complicated does a bike need to be in order for it to be good enough to take out for a good thrashing???

They're not bad. I just got the carbon version full bike (2000 mantra race) for $75, no typo :) The thing that I've heard is that Unified rear triangle bikes like these have trouble because the rear suspension acts differently from weight on pedals to weight on seat and pitching from braking can make some interesting effects especially downhill. It's a great singletrack bike. But no, it was never meant for downhill trailriding. Climbs fantastically, however. I was playing around with the front suspension settings and can confirm that the ride is much more composed and the bike handles better with the stiffer/less travel setting. Granted, a modern S-works epic or Trek 9.9 or Scott, Santa Cruz, Commencal, Ibis, etc etc are superior

junfeng

by junfeng

CBJ

by CBJ

You can dress that bike up in any color you want but to me that is like polishing a turd. Alone the awful Fox Alps5 shock is enough for me to bring back some bad memories.

mrfish

by mrfish

I think you've done a great job on the project. But personally I would have kept it green and ridden it in all weathers. But since you're developing a stable I can see the theme - personally I'd take the pink road bike.

Totally disagree with CBJ. A bike like that is like driving a classic car. Yes it is deeply flawed and in some ways poor compared with something more modern, but it has character which is absent from a 'straight from the mould' carbon bike. Perhaps if shock technology had been more advanced back then, then the concept would be workable?