Campag Bullet / Fulcrum Red Wind - Cosmic SLR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

milroy

by milroy

Anyone have real (as opposed to claimed) weights for these wheelsets?

Red Wind XLR 50: 1590g
Bullet Ultra 50: 1590g (727/863)
Cosmic SLR: 1595g (725/870)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FreaK

by FreaK

I'd be curious to know if there was any real difference between the Campy and the fulcrum. Not likely.
It's not like they're different companies or anything. there's some differences in spoke patterns on some of the equivalents. Niether line has too many good tubular options anymore.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

sawyer

by sawyer

FreaK wrote: Niether line has too many good tubular options anymore.

Do you mean by this that neither Campagnolo nor Fulcrum has good tubular wheels? Not true. They haven't done much updating of what they have, but they got a lot right first time with the Bora/Racing Speed. The design is still much better than most carbon wheels out there.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Kazpozsu

by Kazpozsu

milroy wrote:Anyone have real (as opposed to claimed) weights for these wheelsets?

Red Wind XLR 50: 1590g
Bullet Ultra 50: 1590g (727/863)
Cosmic SLR: 1595g (725/870)

I can confirm that the actual weight of the Fulcrum Red Wind 50 XLR (USB) Clincher Wheelset is 1720 grams (front760/rear960) for the Shimano version. Of course each Wheelset will vary slightly in weight. + or - a small % in grams due to the nature of the extrusion and moulding processes involved in the manufacture of the wheelset. The weight that I have posted here 1720 grams was made known to Me by a very reputable online Bicycle retail store. This store had one Shimano version of this particular Wheelset in stock. They weighed the wheelset themselves in order to verify the actual weight. So again a wheelset, that is to quite a degree, and not surprisingly heavier than the claimed weight.

As for the Bullet Ultra 50. I would presume it is most likely that this wheelset is somewhere in the region of 1700 plus grams for the actual weight.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

I've been looking at SLRs and Bullets as well. Here are some actuals I've found.

The Mavics seems to be well overweight (as usual!)
1700 762f 938r
1684 755f 929r

Bullet Ultra 50
1654 pr
I asked the original poster for the splits but he hasn't replied.

Kazpozsu wrote:As for the Bullet Ultra 50. I would presume it is most likely that this wheelset is somewhere in the region of 1700 plus grams for the actual weight.

The Campag Bullet range is very confusing with different options available. The standard Bullet 50 wheel is heavier and
cheaper compared to the Ultras. The hubs are heavier and the Cult bearings aren't an option. The weight is supposed to be around 1750 claimed.

As far as I can tell all the Bullet Ultra 50s with cult or USB bearings are supposed to be around the 1595 (claimed) mark.

milroy

by milroy

5 8 5 wrote:
As far as I can tell all the Bullet Ultra 50s with cult or USB bearings are supposed to be around the 1595 (claimed) mark.

The Campag Bullet Ultra is equivalent to the Fulcrum XLR with the weight given above. If the Red Wind XLR are 1700+ the Campag Ultra will be too.

Kazpozsu - are you sure that was without the skewers?

Its disappointing from both Mavic and Campag.
I can sort of see how frame weights can be creatively manipulated downwards by manufactures. Paint, fixtures like seat collars and der hangers. - Not that I agree with it.
But wheels??? Once you take out the skewers (and nobody quotes with skewers) where do they find the justification to shave off over 100g? Leave out the bearings?

Kazpozsu

by Kazpozsu

milroy wrote:
Kazpozsu - are you sure that was without the skewers?

Yes that was the weight (1720g) without quick release skewers. In the original Email I sent, I specifically asked to have the wheels weighed without skewers.

The reply I received was :

I have just weighed the wheels :

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-red-win ... -wheelset/

for you and the rear totals 960g while the front totals 760g, making a
cumulative weight of 1720g

At the time there was one Shimano version in stock. Carbon - Red. Probably a demo model. But it has since been sold.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Kazpozsu, have you confirmed the weights yourself? Campag have been a lot better in recent years re weights.
Your rear will be heavier due to the Shimano freehub but it seems to be much too high.

Kazpozsu

by Kazpozsu

5 8 5 wrote:Kazpozsu, have you confirmed the weights yourself? Campag have been a lot better in recent years re weights.
Your rear will be heavier due to the Shimano freehub but it seems to be much too high.

No unfortunately I cannot confirm the weights Myself. I can only go by the Email that I was sent. And Wiggle are a very reputable online bike store.

I have Yet to see a Wheelset of this type. ie an aluminium rim with a carbon fairing / 50 mm deep at sub 1600 grams. That has the spoke nipples integrated into the carbon fairing itself. And yes the weight issued ( claimed weight 1590 grams ) would be for the Campagnolo Freehub wheelset. With of course a Shimano free hub weighing approximately 15 grams extra on average.

So going by the above, both, the Fulcrum Red Wind XLR 50 and the Campagnolo Bullet Ultra 50 will weigh in at 1700 plus grams on average. Guaranteed.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Yes, I agree Wiggle are reputable but still the person weighing may have made a mistake?

Kazpozsu wrote: the Campagnolo Bullet Ultra 50 will weigh in at 1700 plus grams on average. Guaranteed.

I posted a weight of 1654 from another forum member who weighed them himself. I think we'll have to obtain some more weights to certain.

Kazpozsu

by Kazpozsu

5 8 5 wrote:Yes, I agree Wiggle are reputable but still the person weighing may have made a mistake?

Kazpozsu wrote: the Campagnolo Bullet Ultra 50 will weigh in at 1700 plus grams on average. Guaranteed.

I posted a weight of 1654 from another forum member who weighed them himself. I think we'll have to obtain some more weights to certain.

Fifty, sixty , 100 grams will have a negligible impact on cycling performance. The power is in the body. Heart and lung capacity. Vo2max etc. So looking at it from that perspective........ie. the range of weights posted in conjunction with cycling performance........I would say that it's really not all that important. And in addition it's extremely doubtful that one wheelset will weigh exactly the same as the other given the nature of the manufacturing process. ie. + or - a certain % from the extrusion process etc. So as a result a definitive weight on a certain wheelset cannot be properly ascertained right across the range. But what is clear, both of these wheelsets weigh in at more than the advertised weight.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Kazpozsu wrote:Fifty, sixty , 100 grams will have a negligible impact on cycling performance.

Sacrilege! This is WW after all.

I'm sure some others on the forum will be able to provide some more weights in the near future.

milroy

by milroy

Kazpozsu wrote:Fifty, sixty , 100 grams will have a negligible impact on cycling performance.

I may not be able to pick the difference btwn a 1600g wheelset and one that is 1700g. But I sure can pick the inertial difference between a 1400g and a 1700g one.
Isn't that the choice with alloy rims? A pair of Shamals or a pair of Bullets?

If everything is 10% heavier than claimed that +100g wheelset turns into a +700g bike.

FreaK

by FreaK

sawyer wrote:
FreaK wrote: Niether line has too many good tubular options anymore.

Do you mean by this that neither Campagnolo nor Fulcrum has good tubular wheels? Not true. They haven't done much updating of what they have, but they got a lot right first time with the Bora/Racing Speed. The design is still much better than most carbon wheels out there.

I mean for example, that the Neutron is no longer available in tubular. There's no Fulcrum equivalent to the Neutron. The Shamal tubular comes in that unbelievable gold colour, The bora is about a billion bucks, though might just be worth it, and neither line holds a privateer's wheel in a tubular, like a Zonda/Racing 3, that would be cool. Hey while i'm complaining, why is the only Easton tub with an alu rim the EA70? it's like the exact opposite situation

ooh hang on a sec - just looked up the claimed:

zonda 1555g
racing3 1595
Ea70x 1590

for the price, the occasionally wonky easton, might just be the ticket, hmmmmm, i could live with 1590. I mean it's 100 more than ksyrium sl....

_________not that any of this has any bearing on the topic at hand, you may carry on gentlemen.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Crapdaz

by Crapdaz

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there is any feedback on the Fulcrum Red Wind XLR Cult (clincher) actual weight and performance?
Can't find many reviews online and info on these wheels with the cult/usb bearings.
As i am interested in getting a pair, but if it's pushing closer towards the 1700+ side, prob stick with zipp 404s.

Thanks in advance. :thumbup: