TRP CX-9 Mini V-Brakes

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

I believe that this is the review discussed.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Cough, um, er... exhaustive research should have revealed the FRM DP4 Mini V's, which are quite nice and light...
They work very well with road levers.

derekshred

by derekshred

Stolichnaya wrote:Cough, um, er... exhaustive research should have revealed the FRM DP4 Mini V's, which are quite nice and light...
They work very well with road levers.

I tried these a couple years ago. I thought they were no good at all. The worst of all for pad clearance. Worst lever feel of any brake I've ever used. Horrible modulation. They were only good for sheer stopping power.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Can anyone provide a verified weight for the CX-9 brakes?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

derekshred

by derekshred

I just put a set on my new bike today. Unfortunately I was too eager to get the bike done and neglected to weigh them. I will say however, that I'm very impressed with the performance. They stop really damn good with very minimal effort. The rim clearance may prove to be an issue but we'll see.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I'm wondering because... well, it's been pointed out on a few other reviews of these same brakes that they are great, but they are also overpriced for their weight/performance. Mini-V BMX Brakes can apparently out perform with similar weight for 1/10th of the price.

Just investigating the options, I want to know if the claims from both sides of the argument are true or not. :wink:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

StuartAdamson

by StuartAdamson

I've just installed a set of CX-9 which came in at 317g for everything (brakes, pads, noodles, fasteners etc.). I have only had a quick test ride to confirm everything was set up properly, but so far I have been content. Installation and set up was generally less frustrating than mini-cantis and all parts appear to be of a high quality.

As many people have said, pad clearance is extremely limited. I found it difficult to achieve a happy medium between clearance and brake lever displacement (I like a relatively short throw).
Attachments
IMG_1462.JPG
IMG_1463.JPG
IMG_1469.JPG

Matti

by Matti

Has anyone tried the CX-9's on a Ridley X-fire? I believe I read somewhere that the brakes wouldn't fit on the back for some reason (something hitting the seatstay?)

mtb_frk

by mtb_frk

Yeah I read that as well. I havent tried it yet though, maybe monday or sunday if it is raining and I cant ride.

mtb_frk

by mtb_frk

Well I got my set of CX-9s on my x-fire. I need to tweak them in a bit, and take it for a ride but so far it seems to work ok. Once I get it done I will post a picture or two.

Matti

by Matti

OK, sounds good.

I use my x-fire mainly for commuting, and really need to upgrade to better brakes.

tjanson

by tjanson

I ordered some CX9s and when I inspected them I was not impressed.

The pivot bushings cannot be disassembled and cleaned. I have had v-brake pivots seize on me and I didn't want that to happen with $100 brakes that cannot be purchased individually. I prefer a brass bushing that rides directly on the brake boss.

So I returned the CX9s and ordered a pair of Tektro 926AL BMX v-brakes with 80mm arms, and two pairs of Jagwire Sleek Cross pad holders, so I could run road style pads. The 80mm provide a better motion ratio than the CX9s at the expense of the straddle wire being 1 cm closer to the tire. They also have the bushing-on-boss pivot that I prefer. The setup ending up costing not much less than the CX9s since the the Jagwire pad holders are ridiculously expensive-$60 for 4 pad holders and pads.

With Campy 10s Ergopower levers and 23mm wide rims, I have enough brake clearance (~2mm), and plenty of power. I did a very muddy race yesterday and didn't have any problems with mud clearance.

Campy levers are ideal for v-brakes since they have the cable-slackener on the lever, which makes removing the wheel alot easier without the need for a barrel adjuster or deflating the tire. Also if you do need the extra clearance during a race, you can pop those buttons in while riding with your hands on the hoods, and wa-la, instant clearance with just a little more reach.

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

I was sick of my cheap cantis and avid shorty 6s just weren't do it at all. I decided to experiment and got a mini-BMX tektro v brake from the LBS yesterday for 7 dollars. Set it up last night and rode it around the driveway a little and the stopping power is amazing!!! I switched the stock crappy pads to replaceable pad holders and switched the mounting bolts to the lighter ones from the Avids. I am only running one mini v up front and the shorty 6 in the back. Racing 3 cross races and 2 UCI races this weekend so I will let you know how it works after this weekend. Claimed weight was 161g on the package, I will weigh later with the mods.

Not a ton of mud clearance, but they are quite compact. Pads have to be set up a little closer than normal, but not by much. I will get the adjustable Jagwire noodle to help remedy this for wheel changes.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Cool. How did they perform? Any photos of the set up? What sort of replaceable pad holders did you get? Sounds exactly what I am thinking of doing after further reading as a set is fairly economical if I shop around Ihave found

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooo

by jooo

From the Paul Facebook: But as far as the mini v brake goes, we may have a Spring-time surprise for you. We'll keep you posted via the website and our FB page.

Maybe another option :thumbup: