BOYD 38 OR Williams 38 ?? Help me make a decision.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PinkElephant

by PinkElephant

I have 58mms from Boyd and they have been great. No noticeable flex during sprints (I'm 185 lbs). I've been in winds of >20 mph and while the handling is different, it's nothing that I won't get used to.

Rob1519

by Rob1519

DoggedWarrior wrote:Boyd Carbon rims and hubs are both manufactured in Taiwan.

The rims are not made by Gigantex according to Boyd.

Does anyone Know the names of the makers of both the rims and the Hubs.

Rims are made in the same factory as FFWD and Ritchey. Don't know about the hubs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rob1519

by Rob1519

carbondragster wrote:I'm leaning towards Boyd's as well. Just can't decide between 38F/38R, 38F/50R or 50F/50R? With the 50's I'm mostly concerned about strong crosswinds that I experience on some rides.

I'm just under 190 and wonder if the rear 24 spoke count will hold up under my weight? I also like to sprint during rides with friends and the club, so wouldn't want noticeable wheel flex under load (or when I stand during some climbs).

I'd only be doing training rides (no racing) and riding these wheels half the season (I have a mountain bike I ride quite a bit too).

I was also thinking of either Soul C4.0 or 5.0, but right now I'm more keen on looking at Boyd wheels.

I was 200 when I first mounted my 50's. I did not notice any appreciable flex on climbs or sprinting.

I live in a windy area as well and while you will certainly feel a crosswind, the effect is minimal and controllable. I was actually struggling with the 50 vs 58 decision. After several e-mails with Boyd, the 50's were his recommendation for my intended use and environment.

E-mail Boyd, he will answer all your questions.

willyx

by willyx

+1 Boyd

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

Rob1519 wrote:

Rims are made in the same factory as FFWD and Ritchey. Don't know about the hubs.

Does anybody know the factory name that these rims come from?
More than 10 years a Weenie!

carbondragster

by carbondragster

Well this is all positive news about Boyd's wheels and the 50mm set. Has anyone gone from a 30+mm rim to a 50? Is there a noticeable benefit to the increased depth? On some flat stretches I love pegging the speed at a nice number and just holding it (like a TT but with my road bike). I used to have trouble with climbs and this is why I was looking at the 38's, but this season even my climbing has improved so I'm a more all around rider than just good at sprinting or hammering.

dummey

by dummey

Craigagogo wrote:
Rob1519 wrote:

Does anybody know the factory name that these rims come from?

The hubs look exactly like the superlight hubs offered at bikehubstore.