Cracked top tube Cervelo R3. Safely repairable? UPDATED p.3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

parajba

by parajba

I've heard that HQ Fibre Products in Norwich are pretty good.
Please see attached.
Is it safe to repair carbon parts? What's the general consensus? I'm aware that I'll invalidate the lifetime Cervelo warranty. But given that I cause the crack, the warranty is not valid anymore, so...
Attachments
Cracked top tube.jpg
Last edited by parajba on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Not an expert but there have been frames with far more damage successfully repaired posted here.
Also consider Fibre-Lyte (regular poster) who has an excellent rep.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Simon BP

by Simon BP

totally safe to repair!! I have seem muuch muuuuuuuuuuuuuch worse damadges be repaired with no problems after either! I know several guys(me included actually) who ride a CF frame that has been professionelly repaired, and with no problems what so ever. The frame only gains a few grams in weight, and the repair doesent look too good cosmetically - although in your case, it might not even be noticable if you can blend a new white top coat to the old one and cover the repair with paint.

drmutley

by drmutley

why dont u submit it for warranty inspection? u might be very surpised looking at that crack...

parajba

by parajba

Thanks for the replies.

@drmutley: even if I caused the crack by falling? Basically the handlebars flipped and hit the top tube causing the zig zag crack shown in pic...Do you think they cover this? The top tube didn't hit any other/external object apart from the handlebars...

drmutley

by drmutley

Ahhh ok, then u probably won't sneak it thru warranty if that's where it is... Sorry, I didn't appreciate exactly where it was... Bit as the others have said, should be easily fixed...

Kastrup

by Kastrup

Simon BP wrote:totally safe to repair!! I have seem muuch muuuuuuuuuuuuuch worse damadges be repaired with no problems after either! I know several guys(me included actually) who ride a CF frame that has been professionelly repaired, and with no problems what so ever. The frame only gains a few grams in weight, and the repair doesent look too good cosmetically - although in your case, it might not even be noticable if you can blend a new white top coat to the old one and cover the repair with paint.

I have personally ridden one of the mentioned repaired frames. No problems whatsoever.
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

racingcondor

by racingcondor

Here are the contact details for Fibre Lyte http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/

I seem to remember that there's a company near St Albans who do this sort of repair as well (closer to you). Not sure if they have the experience to do it as well as some others though. Can't find them on a quick Google search though, sorry.

parajba

by parajba

Thanks everybody for the kind replies, I'm prepared to drive 2-3 hours if required. I live in London. Is HQ Fibre Products the best company (or one of the best) in the UK for these repairs? I'm very tempted to keep this frame as my top frame that will be used for racing only...crashes happen. But only if it's as safe and performant as a new one e.g. No speed wobble caused by structural instability etc Maybe am being paranoid...

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Not a frame, but Fibre Lyte repaired a similar "closed" crack in the side/brake track of my 808 and did a very good job - great repair, friendly and quick communication, good price, just exactly what you'd want it to be.

parajba

by parajba

Just an update.

I did some research, and two companies seem to stand out:

1. Spyder Composites (USA)
2. Calfee (USA).

I'm based in London, I don't have a problem in paying £200 for a FedEx delivery (two way), but I need to be certain to get the best repair.

According to my research Spyder Composites came first. They even x-ray the frame and provide lifetime warranty on the craftmanship (!). And they are cheaper than Calfee too.

Any feedback from our American fellow cyclysts? Where is Spyder Composites actually based? (State)

Thanks!

Blackwidow

by Blackwidow

@parajba, two things:

1. Your crack not not appear to be particularly serious, in so far as cracks go. I would not even think twice about repairing it, and would be more than happy to ride it without a care once repaired.

2. I cannot speak for Spider/Calfee (which as you say, are rated as the best), but in my experience, HQ are very very good. I have only used them once, to repair a minor cracked chainstay AND a seriously cracked seatstay on the same frame. Their work was flawless. I went to the trouble of respraying the frame (using Atlantic Boulevarde, who are also outstanding), and now its as good as new - the frame does not look, or ride, any differently.

I would not bother sending it abroad if I was you. Get it sorted locally and you'll be fine. Good luck. 8)
"24/7 Im always in spandex, cut through the wind, cos Im aero-dy-na-mic"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn29DvMITu4

parajba

by parajba

@Blackwidow: thanks for the kind reply. I'm no expert but yes the crack appears to be very minor. I tried to bend the carbon wall with my fingers but I can't, still very solid.

Re HQ Fibre Products, I agree with you, many good reviews, even from people I personally ride with. My concern is the x-ray, how do I know that the rest of the frame hasn't got hidden (not visible) cracks...? I like the x-ray service Spyder Products provide.

HQ Fibre Products can fix it for £68+VAT if I remember correctly. Atlantic Boulevard would respray it for around £290 (seems a bit steep?). I called Atlantic Boulevard and they told me that they sub contract the carbon repair to HQ Fibre Products...

Shipping: FedEx would cost me £100 each way I suppose. Atlantic Boulevard would organise the shipping for me for £48 return. Spyder Composites would fix it for around $160 incl. paint and respray. So, even if you factor in the shipping, the American shop is still cheaper...? Let's call it even, not a big difference I suppose.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

Just seen this thread so I'll add a bit to the mix :D

Firstly, I know Calfee do good work (by reputation) but I don't know Spyder Composites. However, I would use either us (fibre-lyte) or HQ as you live in the UK. HQ have a good reputation amongst the time triallers in the UK, so they must be doing something right. Similarly, I think you'll find that all our customers have been happy with their repairs and we are the only ones I know of that add 'dimples' to a Zipp wheel repair :mrgreen:

£290 seems steep for spraying the repair. Are they talking about a full respray or just for the repair? We have a local air brush artist who does our repairs and often can respray logos. He usually charges around £40-£50 depending on the work (he simply charges based on an hourly rate). For full resprays, Bob Jackson cycles in Leeds do full resprays for around £100

parajba

by parajba

@stephen (fibre-lyte): thanks for the kind reply, I really appreciate it. I would be happy to let HQ Fibre Product repair my bike, the only concern I have is how do they/I know that there are no other cracks? The one I highlighted is easy to spot because is visible...What I liked about Spyder Composites is that they x-ray the full frame. This would give me 100% comfort that nothing else got damaged when I crashed. I would like to hear your opinion...

Not sure whether they meant to respray the entire frame for that amount...? Seems a lot of money for a tiny touch up. But I did send them the same pic. They said they would need to sand/work on the whole area between the Cervelo label and the black stipes.

Tonight I checked again the 'crack'. I took a better picture, please see attached. I tried really hard to bend/flex the 'broken' wall but nothing, it just doesn't move. It's exactly as the other side, the squaval downtube, the seat tube, all the same. Well, the top tube feels thinner and empty compared to the squaval downtube but that's because the downtube is beefy.

Looking at the picture, how do I know whether it's a structural crack or just something else? I can see something grey underneath the white paint, but doesn't look like carbon to me...there is a crack in the 'grey' thing. Will HQ Fibre x-ray it for me or do I have to call Cervelo Canada for this service...?

Crack_Detail.jpg

Please refer to first post for a different picture to put it into perspective. It's a 2cm zig-zag crack.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com