zero setback carbon seatpost with some compliance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dw67

by dw67

When I bought my s-works tarmac it came with a specialized s-works pave sl seatpost which I loved. It really added vertical compliance to an otherwise super-stiff bike. Once I tried the fizik antares 00 saddle I knew I that was the saddle for me, the problem is the 7x9 rails dont work with the specialized clamp. No problem, I took my buddy's FSA K-Force light 0 setback post which has a vertical clamp. The zero setback actually fit my position better as now the seat rails are close to centered.

The only problem is the seatpost has absolutely no give. Can anyone recommend a carbon zero or slight setback seatpost that will accept fizik carbon rails that also has give over rough roads. Thanks

sungod

by sungod

the carbon fizik cyrano post has a little bit more give than the alu one, but it's still not much, the clamp is excellent though

i've got an ax lightness europa, that's got more give, but it's not cheap, weight limit is 85kg, clamp is fiddly

btw maybe a setback post will be a bit more springy than straight - there's the extra leverage at the top, and it'll take less force to deflect the nose of the saddle

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

EC90 Zero is pretty good in that regard.

Apparently the new Storck posts have a lot of give, and IIRC there is a zero setback option?

Unfortunately the Canyon VCLS post, which has LOTS of give, is setback only.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

aaric

by aaric

The EC90 zero post works well. I used it for a while.

The Pro Stealth Evo Post isn't zero setback, but it's 20ish mm, which is halfway between the specialized pave post and the zero. I currently run this, as it matches my bars, and the setback works better for me, than the pave or the EC90 zero. I'd guess its a bit less accomodating than the pave was.

Supposedly the 2011 S-works pave post has new clamps that can accommodate thick seat rails. I've never seen one though.

A zero setback post should have less give than a setback post all things being equal. However, if your post is set to one end or the other of the rails, the rails will flex a bit, and give some compliance. In my case, I'd get a bit of a flex/bounce from the rails on my EC90 when I was on the back of the saddle (I ride a carbon railed aliante). Going to the 20mm setback centered the post on the rails, and took away the bounce and some of the give.

Guerdi

by Guerdi

Try the Ritchey WCS UD carbon one bolt seatpost. It's relatively cheap, light and available in a 0mm offset version.

You can get the clamp for the 7x9 fizik's carbon rails.

I have that seatpost and am very happy with it. Very simple to install thanks to the one bolt system. I bought mine from wiggle - excellent service there.

murph100

by murph100

The new Storck seatposts are specifically designed for extra comfrot, takes any carbon rails. I just got one and it definitely helps, not very light though.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -11-44709/

Syntace make a version as well with their excellent clamping system ( I would reckon the same as the Storck except for the clamp )

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=2033.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I bought the fizik cyrano carbon seatpost about two weeks ago and love it. Awesome finish, and great clamp.
Attachments
photo.JPG

dw67

by dw67

Frankie13 wrote:I bought the fizik cyrano carbon seatpost about two weeks ago and love it. Awesome finish, and great clamp.

Frankie:

How does it ride?

virenque

by virenque

Specialized has a new clamp for the Pave post that will work with carbon rails, available as an upgrade kit for 2012.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

virenque wrote:Specialized has a new clamp for the Pave post that will work with carbon rails, available as an upgrade kit for 2012.

and it comes in colors! not out yet, though.
you can find some cannondale SAVE carbon posts that come on the Flash bikes sometimes. theyre very light for being 410mm long, and use USE's SUMO head which can be retrofitted with a carbon-compatible clamp assembly. it has a flattened area below the post head to allow extra flex.
if you seek one out, doublecheck the exposed post length you need to make sure the post goes from flattened to round where you need it.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

dw67 wrote:
Frankie13 wrote:I bought the fizik cyrano carbon seatpost about two weeks ago and love it. Awesome finish, and great clamp.

Frankie:

How does it ride?

Well, it feels pretty much like the stock Most Seatpost and I'm happy it does because I always liked the ride quality of my bike. I can't feel any flex and the clamp is quit and makes no noise. I'm glad I choose this post.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Well according to Fizik it's more like a marker for the seat hight should you have to remove the post for whatever reason. Also it suppose to keep water or sweat from entering the frame via the seatpost. It defiantly catches my sweat here in the 100 temps.

zsir

by zsir

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1105091_-1_1605522_1604509_400216#ReviewHeader

Maybe give this a look. my cut down 27.2 weighs 140g. it works great for me. pretty inexpensive and easy return if you don't like it.

mlchang

by mlchang

Oops posted same as Murph. Didn't read second part of his post.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

Guerdi wrote:Try the Ritchey WCS UD carbon one bolt seatpost. It's relatively cheap, light and available in a 0mm offset version.

You can get the clamp for the 7x9 fizik's carbon rails.

I have that seatpost and am very happy with it. Very simple to install thanks to the one bolt system. I bought mine from wiggle - excellent service there.

The Ritchey post you refer to is a pretty good post but not particularly compliant, certainly not when compared to the EC90 Zero, still less the Canyon VCLS. The Ritchey however is WW (c.150g) looks good, and is easy to adjust, though I'm not convinced about the one bolt design; IME more likely to slip as a result of a major impact, e.g. big pothole hit, than a standard two bolt design.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: