Look KG 292 TI frame - any thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

solman06

by solman06

I actually won a Look titanium frame in France in a drawing at the end of a ride in 1997 (L'Ardechoise). The frame was built up by a local shop in Tournon. It was built up with mavic helium wheels and full dura ace components. The frame has a small Look sticker on the bottom of the seat tube with KG292 -titanium tubular frame - team. Another small Black sticker at the top of the seat tube says built by T.H.T. for Look Cycle - but no other Look ID. I am thinking the frame was sent to local shops unbadged so that the shops could put their name on it after it was built up. Mine is a Look titanium frame but badged as a Mallarte - the name of the shop that built it up. It has a seat post and a stem (no ahead set) that was painted violet and etched with " L'Ardechoise 1997 in yellow - violet and yellow were the colors of the ride. By the way I was the only American rider out of 9000 riders. My wife said the drawing was "fixed". Does anyone know who would have made the frame? and what is the threading on the BB. I think I need to repack or replace as I am getting some creaking noise from down there. It is a sweet ride.

Cyco

by Cyco

T.H.T. was/is a French titanium fabricator/ manufacturer. Made some wild stuff ridden by ONCE before the UCI outlawed them.

See Tthis thread for some more info
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Should I go with 7700 or 7800 crankset? What do you guys think?

AaronO

by AaronO

Cyco wrote:T.H.T. was/is a French titanium fabricator/ manufacturer. Made some wild stuff ridden by ONCE before the UCI outlawed them.

See Tthis thread for some more info

Yet another potential frame builder in that case! I wonder if the serial number would help solve this mystery.

ratfink

by ratfink

victorduraace wrote:Should I go with 7700 or 7800 crankset? What do you guys think?

I like the more classic look of the 7700 on a frame such as this, but you could do both. Here's my 7700 crank with 7800 rings:

Mr.Gib wrote:I think this is where you are making a mistake. If it was my money I'd be looking for a frame that climbs like a scalded baby monkey on amphetamines. A goat on steroids will just not be as fast uphill.

victorduraace

by victorduraace

It looks cool and I can get this crank pretty cheaply. Findinig big 7800 ring for sale will be trickier, though. There should be some stiffness improvement from this.

ratfink

by ratfink

The shifting on the 7800 chainrings is easily the best I've tried. It's so smooth, too. The crankarms I posted have been sanded and polished for a fine brushed finish. I noticed that you are planning on using 7900 DT shifters, I have those as well. They work fantastic and have a nice feel.
Mr.Gib wrote:I think this is where you are making a mistake. If it was my money I'd be looking for a frame that climbs like a scalded baby monkey on amphetamines. A goat on steroids will just not be as fast uphill.

lancearmstrong

by lancearmstrong

The history of classics :) Still you can take a sweet ride on this machine..

danielroper

by danielroper

one vote for the 7700 cranks - here is my Columbus Nemo Look 253 with full 7700..
Attachments
DSC02830.jpg
DSC02865.jpg
DSC02876.jpg
DSC02878.jpg
DSC02899.jpg
DSC02938.jpg
DSC02857.jpg

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Sweet ride this one. Not too short chain, though?

AaronO

by AaronO

victorduraace wrote:AaronO, how good is it's stiffness and acceleration? What about going uphill, climbing while standing? You say road vibration damping properties leave a lot to be desired. This actually is pretty suprising to me, as I heard of titanium regarded as excellent at it. Will the frame filter some minor road cracks and irregularities? Any handling impressions on tricky descents? What is your Merlin made from? Steel/ carbon/alloy?
cheers
PS: If you plan to sell the bike, don't hesitate to contact posters on first page. They wanted my frame, but I'm not selling it, decided about that .

Also, I found a sticker saying KG 282. Any earlier (or later version)???

Enough time has gone by...the bike is VERY fast, especially in climbs, but I just don't care for the SRAM Force. I'm not in a rush to send it away, but if anyone wants to make me a fair offer, I will listen.

victorduraace

by victorduraace

New wheels have arrived
Vintage tubulars on Mavic GP4/ double butted spokes 3x/ shimano 600/ gipiemme hub. Currently used as fixed gear wheels, but I will change the rear hub. Tubs are great condidion Conti Sprinter and Competition.
Some pics:
http://img233.imageshack.us/slideshow/w ... 009932.jpg

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

victorduraace wrote:http://img233.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=1009932.jpg

Suhweeet. Is that a DA 7400 brake (if not, I presume 7401 or 7402)? I presume you'll be adjusting the brake shoes. Or will you be installing the 7402 gold anodized custom brakes mentioned/shown in a previous posting?

victorduraace

by victorduraace

That's 7402 rear brake. Pads are not adjusted yet, is seems like I need some longer bolt to instal brake and the washer. And I will need to find another brake from the series. Then the anodizing and some engraving, possibly LOOK logo or letters alone.
Regarding the tires that came with it, these are Contis (Competiton and Sprinter) in great condition. I really like the rims' dark anodized colour as they compliment the frame very nicely. They make wheelset in 1750 grams range, but it will be stiff and bombproof. The hub I am thinking of is the previous series Sh 105. I am pretty much torn between going full modern 10 speed Shimano groupset (Tiagra, 105, Ultegra and DA mix) or setting it with vintage 9 speed grouppo. I haven't decided on this yet, I decided to take my time, ride several bikes do figure out which components I like in particular, every bit will be suited to my individual preference.
What I need is compact crank with HT2 system to ensure stiff BB, pretty sure it will be previous Tiagra. I would like to have the classic look with some modern components. The next thing is the saddle, I am initially pleased with classic Flite Gel. How do you like it full blue? Also, I got a nice bar tape which will be Modolo vintage white ribbon.
chreers :beerchug:

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Should I go 10 or 9 speed grouppo?
7700 seems perfectly stylish and very tempting to me, however parts will be hard to acquire.
The second option is new Tiagra/ 105/ Ultegra mixed together.
I would like the bike to be fully functional and have never ridden a bike with 7700 or 6500 9 speed.
How does it compare to modern stuff? I need a reliable and well- working gear.
Thanks for dropping your two cents.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com