Too late to restart threshold work?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I stopped focusing on threshold stuff back in mid April and focused more on race specific efforts. I did my weekly TT just to really maintain what I had built over the winter. Despite my best efforts I was unable to really improve my TT power with a single weekly 15km TT (I've even tried doing 2 laps, weekly - I just get a much stronger workout on the trainer), so I've decided to move back to the trainer to build some more power for cross season.

However, I'm a little worried that this could impact my next season of racing by putting too much intensity too early in the 2012 training plan.

Is there any danger in starting up threshld intervals now, pausing around mid October and THEN starting my training plan around late November/early December (taking a 4-6 week break from mid-Oct to late Nov)? Could significant gains be made in this time?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

In my opinion one should never cease threshold training. For any given aerobic sport it is the best indicator of performance.

But no, as long as you balance loads, there is never a "wrong" time to do threshold work.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

OJ

by OJ

Ghost234 wrote:(taking a 4-6 week break from mid-Oct to late Nov)?

This one right here is the biggest issue in your 2012 training plan. Take a break of max 2 weeks with some easy rides in there and then get back to your build.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

graphs

by graphs

I've been thinking of doing a similar plan (basically Allen's The Next Level )from now until mid-November and then starting a proper base period in early December.

I took close to 6 weeks off last fall/winter and it was extremely detrimental to my fitness. Not recommended.

devinci

by devinci

4-6 weeks break?!?!? WTF is the idea behind this? Unless you're a pro (and even then) its useless. You will only do harm with such long break. I prefer going for a mental break with unstructured riding, MTBing before I start hammering the high wattage again.

Ghost234

by Ghost234

devinci wrote:4-6 weeks break?!?!? WTF is the idea behind this? Unless you're a pro (and even then) its useless. You will only do harm with such long break. I prefer going for a mental break with unstructured riding, MTBing before I start hammering the high wattage again.

Its usually a mental break more than anything. I basically avoid ALL things cycling related during this period. I find that it only takes me about 2-3 weeks to get back to full steam and I'm usually much more motivated than before and really WANT to put the pressure on my training.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

I understand but its the wrong strategy if you want to maintain your actual form as much as possible. Going unstructured and doing other things such as cyclocross or mtb can do it mentaly