Campag Cross crankset or ???

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

My commute/adventure bike (Salsa Vaya) is currently equipped with a Sugino XD2 triple (26/36/46 x 170). I can't remember the last time I used the granny ring, so I'm thinking of changing over to a compact/cross double to (1) save a little weight, and (2) gain some stiffness (the Sugino uses a square taper BB).

Campy's 10-speed Cyclocross crankset looks like it would fit my requirements, but real-world reviews are still hard to come by. It's also unclear as to whether Campy went with non-standard chainrings (110 with 112, etc).

Any feedback on the Campy cranks? Or is there another 36/46-ish double out there with silver arms and an external BB that I should consider?
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

il professore

by il professore

I use a compact campy record crank for cross. 34/50.. I can't remember the last time I needed the big ring. but I'm a puss..your results may vary.

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

Do the Campag compact cranks use standard 110 BCD rings?
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

andyp

by andyp

MileHighMark wrote:Do the Campag compact cranks use standard 110 BCD rings?

No, they don't due to the bolt behind the crank arm, which is proprietary to Campagnolo, somewhat annoyingly. TA do compatible chainrings in cross sizes, i.e. 46 and 48 teeth, but they are expensive (circa £50 each).

rustychain

by rustychain

Campy says 110 but it has the hidden bolt
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

fietser

by fietser

That hidden bolt is a pain in the *ss I had to mill out a pair of rotor q rings to make them fit on campy compact cranks

Pirahna

by Pirahna

To answer the original question, Campag did make alloy compacts with a conventional 110 bolt pattern all round and that used a square taper bottom bracket. The last year these were made was 2006 except Xenon which was 2007.

rustychain

by rustychain

OK, I've put some miles on the Campy cross cranks now. Overall I like them. The 46x36 certainly works and the bearings are much better sealed then the ultra torque. Shifting is on par with other Campy chainrings. I am not a fan of the new system of securing the crank. Durable and stiff but it requires a 14mm hex wrench and some of those "special" tools that Campy loves. A step backwards IMO but having the much better seals makes it much more viable as a cross crank. Hit a few rocks with the crank and it has survived fine.
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com