What is the best chainguide for Kona Major Jake Carbon?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ONeal

by ONeal

I'm looking at the K-Edge Cross XL Chain Catcher 34.9mm Single. I have had some issues with chainguides on my Carbon mt bike frame and was hoping to just cut to the chase and get the best tried and true guide for this bike, if there is one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Seriously, forgo all the shinny new anodized gizmos and go with a good ring guard (I like Salsa "crossing guards") and am N-gear jumpstop. Light cheap and NEVER a problem.

maddog 2

by maddog 2

I run a BBG superlight bash and a N-gear jumpstop. As said, very secure.

http://www.bbgbashguard.com/superlights.html

nitropowered

by nitropowered

I highly recommend an MRP 1.x CX or e.13 XCX-ST CX. If you seattube tapers at all (gets wider at the bottom), the MRP will not work. Otherwise you will have to get the e.13 XCX-ST CX.

Whatever you do, be sure to get the CX versions because the standard versions have mountain chainlines and will not work

ONeal

by ONeal

Thanks guys. I have the MRP 1x on my Niner which works fairly well although the chain has jumped off and sucked in more than I would have liked (mainly when I crashed and the pedals and driveline went awry). I actually have a Paul Chainkeeper (filed to accomodate ring guard) that I just mounted up on the Kona and it seems to fit ok. I originally bought this for my Niner but it wouldn't fit because of the tapered carbon seatube. I will try this and a light guard and see if that does the job.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

I also "had" the MRP 1x on my MTB and frankly it sucked.