Super Record 11 on a MTB?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Where: Somewhere in Atlantic Europe.

How: On a Trail bike so we can seriously try to break it.

Why: Because we don't like front derailleurs.

Who?: The Black Cat Bone crew.

11 sm.jpg

575 SR sm.jpg

SR11 sm.jpg

SR sm.jpg

SR Vinyl sm.jpg

SR Y sm.jpg

morrisond

by morrisond

What shifters are you using?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Westifer12

by Westifer12

morrisond wrote:What shifters are you using?

I really "wanted" to see SR road levers on flat bars
2011 Trek Paragon 29er | Reba XX 120mm Fork | XX Drivetrain | 160mm White/Carbon Exiler CR Brakes | Thomson 90mm Stem & Post | Easton Monkey Lite Bar | X.9 Hubs to DT Swiss X470's | Schwalbe Rocket Rons

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Shifters are our own design with SR internals. Still a prototype, we're putting kms on the system. Everything OK until now.

Chiva

by Chiva

That's just too funny! Nice work. I guess Campy is back into the mountain bike game.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Chiva wrote:That's just too funny! Nice work. I guess Campy is back into the mountain bike game.

Only Campagnolo Srl. doesn't know yet :mrgreen:

Funny thing, it's 20 years since July Furtado won the WC in Durango on a Yeti with a huge "Campagnolo" sticker. But the Campy stuff was dissasembled from her bike the night before after a mechanic at the Campy support truck refused to adjust her drivetrain at the moment.

I think 20 years after Campagnolo has done its time for having an a**hole inside a purple and yellow truck :thumbup:

Colin

by Colin

I'm surprise no one's asked yet..How big is that cassette?? I attempted counting, but the large cog is hidden pretty well in all the pictures, looks like a 40t?!

jbbikerider

by jbbikerider

Why so many gears? you only need one.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

One chainring, that's it :wink:

(We're testing RD total capacity here, some gears are just too shor to be rideable)

jooo

by jooo

XCProMD - I've got a few questions that maybe you can help me with?

I saw your post on MTBR saying that the spider on the Shimano cassette had been milled to suit the 2.25mm Campagnolo spacer thickness - Can you tell me what rivets/bolts were used to put the cassette back together? I assume the smaller cogs with 'built in' spacers also get machined?

Any mods done to the freehub or lock ring for the wider cassette? Do you know how much of the smallest cog cantilevers over the end of the freehub?

Did the RD or hanger require any mods to suit the large cogs and capacity of the cassette (looks like maybe a different top pulley?) - or just standard short cage RD?

Irish

by Irish

I wonder if there is anyway you could modify Campagnolo flat bar shifters to suit?

XCProMD

by XCProMD

jooo wrote:XCProMD - I've got a few questions that maybe you can help me with?

I saw your post on MTBR saying that the spider on the Shimano cassette had been milled to suit the 2.25mm Campagnolo spacer thickness - Can you tell me what rivets/bolts were used to put the cassette back together? I assume the smaller cogs with 'built in' spacers also get machined?

Any mods done to the freehub or lock ring for the wider cassette? Do you know how much of the smallest cog cantilevers over the end of the freehub?

Did the RD or hanger require any mods to suit the large cogs and capacity of the cassette (looks like maybe a different top pulley?) - or just standard short cage RD?

Sorry, not around for a while.

We're currently using our own rivets. They are made in two coaxial parts, snug fit. The inside part is assembled from the right droput side, the outer from the hubshell side. When they're pressed together, the outer part made of soft 2000 series aluminum becomes a tight fit against the spider hole. Good results until now.

Previously we had used M3 stainless countesink head allen bolts + nuts, but we had to machine the nuts (hubshell side) to get enough clearance. Stainless suffers from galvanic corrosion when bolted on alu, that made the assembly safer. It didn't look great though.

I can tell everything fits (the whole 11 cog assembly) without mods on Mavic Crossmax Wheels until 2011. Don't know about 2012. The reason is Mavic freehub is wider than a standard Shimano-Sram unit. They used the extra space to fit a spoke protector. When that protector is not in use, a spacer in needed to fill the extra space.

Apart from Mavics all test are being done with our own prototype hubs. Again, the freehub is a little bit wider than Sh-SR and we're testing too an integrated spider that carries the frewheel pawls.

The RD will work with cogs up to 36T just by swapping the top pulley by a 9T. Right now we're able to shift to a 40T rear cog (yes, a massive one :D ) usng a cage that is our own design. This cage allows not only to reach enough clearance for a 40T (it shifts a 42T actually, but no tests aside the workshop so far), but it also takes care of offering the right chain gap on smaler cogs (as small as 9T :) ) Mind you that the Campagnolo RD has less slant than a SRAM Exact Actuation or a Shimano Shadow. I promise I'll post pics of the cage when the patent is filed.

Irish wrote:I wonder if there is anyway you could modify Campagnolo flat bar shifters to suit?

As far as I know Campag Flat Bars are just 10 Cogs. So they could be "G-Springed" shifters as top of the range 10s ErgoPowers or Escape (I'd bet on Escape). Both cases a 11S retrofit seems difficult. For G-Spring there were some guys doing a 11s ratchet. Escapes could be 2011 Athena Ultra-Shift 11s internal compatible, I don't know. Anyway we needed hidraulic brakes so we took the way of modifying SR Ergos. We have modified too Campagnolo new TT shifters and they're fantastic! Light, tiny, crisp shifting...

I have to say Campagnolo's system performs astonishingly on MTBs. We're using it on such bikes like Yeti 575, Corsar Marque and our own 170mm travel prototype frame, apart from our R&T frame, and all we can tell is it works at least as good as any ther system out there. Really mpressive how tough the SR RD is , considering the weight.

jooo

by jooo

Thanks a heap XCProMD. I'm looking to try and make myself a custom cassette in the future. It sounds kinda bad but a much lighter, better machined version of a Shimano MegaRange type thing :lol:
It's for a 1x7 or 1x8 on a Hope singlespeed hub, so that you have a bailout, granny gear for when you're feeling stuffed - having a big jump is not an issue in a gear-inch sense for me as long as I can get it to shift ok and not weigh a ton. It's easy to build a similar cassette using loose cogs that works ok, but then it weighs heaps. Having a large diameter carrier that can be machined means you can get it closer to the spokes than a flat steel cog which gives me a better chance of running 8 cogs safely. Having the closer Campagnolo spacing would also help slightly when space is at a premium so it's something I've been looking at too. Also, it's just cool 8)

Did you happen to test the largest cog capacity without any 'permanent' type mods to the RD first? I know it's relatively easy to get a DA to fit a 32 tooth cog with a smaller top pulley or even stock, depending on your hanger. Wondering if I could get away with the same (32 or possibly even a 34) on a Campagnolo rear without having to remakes cages etc?

jazclrint

by jazclrint

Just a dumb thought, but have you tried putting a Fulcrum Campy freehub body on a Fulcrum MTB wheelset?

What about some grip-shifts for it?

BTW, that is a really cool project.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

XCProMD

by XCProMD

More on this. Our mate Amaro joined the party, but this time we decided to go the Grip Shit way

http://amaroblog.wordpress.com/2011/11/ ... del-tunel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;