New Bike Cables!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Superlite

by Superlite

Finally a great alternative to nokon and shimano. http://www.deltacycle.com/

Just like the nokon but the aluminum links are sealed. Only $30 a set!

spytech

by spytech

Superlite wrote:Just like the nokon but the aluminum links are sealed. Only $30 a set!

pretty good, have you used them yet?

here is a direct link http://www.deltacycle.com/brakes/powerlines.php

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Any idea on weight?? The website doesn't mention it.

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

Anybody used their pads?

mises

by mises

Got an email from delta about the weight - claimed is 35g per meter assembled so it should be about like nokon/ird.

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

update on the cables. I bought some online directly from Delta. Installed them three weeks ago on my road bike. Have done about 300 miles on them.

THEY SUCK TOTALLY

They are noisey and creaky. Turn the bars and it sounds like the heatset is sticking

I have had to adjust the cable FOUR times due to cable stretch. It is a good 1.5 cm longer from where I started on the rear D. My brakes have had to be adjusted too. I was lever to bar on a 40MPH decent the other day on the rear brake. (thanks to everyone who told me to go with Coolstop pads! they helped stop me)

They are nice and flexible, however I kept my Shift indicator on the cable and this pulls the housing down, so you can't see it.

The outer rubberized housing is crimping already near the frame connections.

Also there was not enough of the housing for the shifters. One side is a fraction too short.

They will be coming off in a couple of weeks when I get around to getting some new housings

J-Nice

by J-Nice

This is what happens when we line up and salivate over the latest bike offerings when in reality they (example- the Delta cables) are solving a problem that does not exist. I'm all for lighter and better equipment, but sometimes these new items are just straight up crap.

Superlite

by Superlite

I guess the jagwire are the lightest that actually perform well. I'm just using SIS right know. Too much fuss with the other stuff.

jim

by jim

jagwires work well. i have about 700 miles on my tcr, and no complaints with the cable performance.

another cable setup i recommend are gore ultralight. and, if you can find the housings, the no longer produced clb brake housings are nice. i have a nos set here :)

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

Has anyone managed to get NOKON to work well on Shimano? Braking is far better but shifting is a different matter. I always got severe cable flex between the STI and the downtube stop.

Superlite

by Superlite

If your getting cable flex you didn't instal the cable housing properly. You probly have more length in the plastc housing then there is in the metal links. Trim the housing and jam the plastic end into the shifter, cable stops, etc. and add the metal links while doing so.

Those cables do not flex, you just have slack in the system making it feel like it flexing.

Oswald

by Oswald

jim wrote:jagwires work well. i have about 700 miles on my tcr, and no complaints with the cable performance.

another cable setup i recommend are gore ultralight. and, if you can find the housings, the no longer produced clb brake housings are nice. i have a nos set here :)

I have 5500 miles on my tcr with Jagwire cables... never had any problems...

Sooperlite

by Sooperlite

You just dug up a very old thread of mine. What is relevant with cables these days?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Here in china I managed to find some noname cables that are just 2$ per meter.

Not performance cables but seems to work fine. Both shifting and braking version has aluminum strands going along the cables like regular shifting cables. That means no coil wire on the brake cable. Additionally the brake cable has some form of kevlar around these strands. I can't confirm but I have seen somewhere that the strands are probably mostly aluminum but there are a few stainless steel ones mixed in.

Weight is 26gram per meter for brake and 20gram for shifting.

Considering the price the weight is really good. Lighter than the aluminum links. Can't comment on the performance yet. Just put them on but they seem fine to me.

/a

Edit: As a reference I can mention that jagwire cgx-sl weighs 61g/m and lex-sl is 33g/m. Not my measurement, seller claim.

Edit2: For people interested I suggest to look for lightweight aluminum cable housing (looks like regular cable housing, not aluminum links).
Last edited by alcatraz on Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Alligator I-link and I-link Mini are pretty much the best performers when it comes to the go to ww cable sets. Personally I like to use those with their 31 strand inner.