Cannondale Super Six EVO: Released w/ pics

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

timmyturbo

by timmyturbo

i borrowed my friends slice six full carbon about 2 years ago , it was half pink though . a very quick bike and 16.5 Lbs is the weight he said .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrfish

by mrfish

djconnel wrote:I seem to have some money on the answer, IIRC....

Yes, my $10 is in escrow ;-)

Following this thread with interest. I just saw a 'dale in gloss white and it looked very nice - perhaps worth the weight gain?

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Im not sure I saw this covered so I apologize if it has been but two questions:

Are the bottom brackets and forks between the Supersix and Evo compatible or are sizes \ rakes different between the two?
Just ride ..

hmai18

by hmai18

Forks aren't compatible: Supersix uses 1 1/8 to 1 1/2 tapered fork and the Evo uses a 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 fork.

They'll both take BB30 cranks, but the Super uses a full aluminum BB30 shell whereas the Evo uses Pressfit30. I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable than me can describe the difference between the two.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I saw the 2012 Evo today. It looks like it uses the evo386. Good looking frame.

mythical

by mythical

@hmai18: BB30 has a Ø42mm ID x 68mm wide BB shell that accepts 61806/6806 bearings and PressFit30 or BB-PF30 has a Ø46mm ID x 68mm wide shell that typically accepts plastic cups with 61806/6806 bearings. There are many advantages to PressFit over BB30. Due to problems of ovalization that may arise with some BB shells, be it through heat treatment, welding or otherwise. Also, Pressfit dispenses with the circlips often used with BB30, but the main advantage is that pressing in cups makes it easier for manufacturers to reach acceptable tolerances where bearings can run smooth and maintenance-free, plus the cups make BB installation and removal easier. In my view, Cannondale (and many other frame builders) made the right choice in BB shell standard. If anyone else has something to add on this, I welcome all comments.

And no, gum, it's not BB386Evo, albeit that outboard cups can offer a solution when someone wants to use those cranks whereas BB386Evo BB shells cannot accept BB30 cranks.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

djconnel

by djconnel

As I was riding to do a trail run in the Marin Headlands, I stopped in the Presidio Sports Basement and, surprise surprise, they had an EVO built up (w/ SRAM Red). The surprise is it wasn't even in the front-most display of premier bikes. Instead, it was on a display in the back with CAAD-10's. Very nice, and @ $5k, a quite reasonable price considering Red retails for close to $2k (and it's fairly easy to get a 10% discount from Sports Basement).

After I got over the sense of horror that such a beautifully optimized frame was contaminated with way too much heavy white paint, it was striking how similar it looked to the CAAD 10 hanging below it. Really, I'd have thought they were the same frame. The geometry is slightly different, and I'm sure there's subtle differences related to the different materials, but my "big picture" view didn't show any differences. They're both really good looking bikes.

Of course it was tempting to see if I could give it a test ride, but I'm always in too much of a rush to go through the painfully slow test ride process (and in any case I didn't have any ID for security with me). I'm quite curious how the ride compares to my Fuji SL/1, which I generally like.

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

gumgardner wrote:I saw the 2012 Evo today. It looks like it uses the evo386. Good looking frame.

Whoah! This is major news. Cannondale adopting this standard would mean essentially abandoning their own BB30. Does this mean a redesigned hollowgram? It couldn't just use a wider spindle as the q-factor bump would be massive. The arms will have to have less curvature. Please, tell us more? Pics?

chaos888

by chaos888

djconnel wrote:As I was riding to do a trail run in the Marin Headlands, I stopped in the Presidio Sports Basement and, surprise surprise, they had an EVO built up (w/ SRAM Red). The surprise is it wasn't even in the front-most display of premier bikes. Instead, it was on a display in the back with CAAD-10's. Very nice, and @ $5k, a quite reasonable price considering Red retails for close to $2k (and it's fairly easy to get a 10% discount from Sports Basement).

After I got over the sense of horror that such a beautifully optimized frame was contaminated with way too much heavy white paint, it was striking how similar it looked to the CAAD 10 hanging below it. Really, I'd have thought they were the same frame. The geometry is slightly different, and I'm sure there's subtle differences related to the different materials, but my "big picture" view didn't show any differences. They're both really good looking bikes.

Of course it was tempting to see if I could give it a test ride, but I'm always in too much of a rush to go through the painfully slow test ride process (and in any case I didn't have any ID for security with me). I'm quite curious how the ride compares to my Fuji SL/1, which I generally like.

Hmmm, I wonder if it's the EVO I ordered. They had it on display at the Marin Century which I found surprising - I thought they would've sold it by now. I was at Mike's Bikes in Palo Alto over the weekend and saw they had an EVO SRAM Red as well. I didn't see what size it was though.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

It's pretty interesting\cool to see that for basically Cannondales most expensive frame they offer it at every price point unlike say an SL3/4 from Specialized.

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing in the end as I wonder if people wont look at the EVO as being worthy of some of the more high dollar builds.

Just random thoughts that crossed my mind up for debate.
Just ride ..

grid256

by grid256

Whoah! This is major news. Cannondale adopting this standard would mean essentially abandoning their own BB30. Does this mean a redesigned hollowgram? It couldn't just use a wider spindle as the q-factor bump would be massive. The arms will have to have less curvature. Please, tell us more? Pics?

This would obviously be awesome, but it clearly says BB30 on the various specs for the frame.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Not so sure that Cannondale would be so ready to abandon the 'standard' they developed, but it would be a wise move on most** manufacturer's frames to move to the 386 format.

**I think Look is the one manufacturer that would see the only true "loss" if it switched from ZED to 386.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

grid256 wrote:This would obviously be awesome, but it clearly says BB30 on the various specs for the frame.

Gum mentioned the 2012. I assumed that was the next model year beyond what was revealed this year. Probably wrong and crazy, but Gum does seem to have some ins.

I would also love to see cannondale move that way. Call it BB30 Wide if you have to. Pressfit cups into a BB30 frame is the same inelegant solution as threaded outboard bearing cups. Let the frame take the load directly without all this complicated pressing and threading cantilevered cups into it.

neomoz

by neomoz

Saw an Evo in the flesh as well, definitely using a nylon press fit BB30 cup system now.

The gigantic tubes of the old evos are gone, what was interesting is the tube shape, some tubes are very thin vertically, but to ensure lateral stiffness they've made them wider, so a lot of the tubes (seat/chain stay) around the rear triangle are elliptical.

Now I can see the reasoning behind stiffness complaints yet Cannondale say the lateral stiffness is better, there is going to be a lot of vertical compliance with this design and that's gonna feel sluggish, like you don't have enough tyre pressure. I guess most pros want some compliance to stop the harsh bumps but still have that solid planted feeling for psychological reasons.

Very nice bike, but from a distance I have to say it doesn't stand out as anything special, you could mistake it very easily for an older super six, but I guess most bikes are starting to fall into that category now.

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

Saw the exact model EVO I want myself a few weeks ago (Red).
For $5,000., I don't think you can buy more bike for the money.
Great groupset, great wheelset, very decent cockpit.
And it's Black (Black is always a "go" for me).

It looks much, much better in person than it does in photos.

It's sickingly light. I thought the 14lb Scott I picked up a few weeks before that was nasty, but DAMN!
The porker of the EVO's makes the Scott feel weighty. I can't imagine what an EVO Ultimate feels like.
Considering that a great framset alone is going to cost around $3500.-$4000., to get this sucker with a
Red Groupset AND Ksyrium Elites for $5K? There's undeniable value there. All I'd do to it is slap on a set
of Hollowgrams, possibly swap in the cockpit of my current rig (and put the EVO bits on my CAAD),
and finish it off by selling the Ksyrium Elites w/tires & tubes and put those funds to a set of Zipp 404's
or possibly a set of Edge Clinchers (I already have that exact same of Ksyrium Elites I can use for trainers).

One important observation on my part...it wasn't only light, but "balanced". Felt really great.
Going to try to ride one soon (LOL! I literally typed in "try to rob one" first! Freudian slip?).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com