Specialized Prevail helmet

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

khdroberts

by khdroberts

fletch62:

I'll stop short of offering to provide you with one through the shop I work at (since that's most probably against forum rules)...

I know for a fact that the nice guys at Bike Gallery over in Camberwell (Victoria) have a couple - only have mediums and only in white (apparently that's all that Specialized themselves have). I was also told that Total Rush have them in stock - don't know what size range or colours (can only imagine it'd be the same story as Bike Gallery), though I can't actually confirm that Total Rush have them - I've actually held an Australian certified Prevail in my hands in at Bike Gallery (earlier today), so can swear that they do have them!

If you ask nice I'm sure they'll be more than happy to ship one to your location if you can't get into their store.

Of course, if you don't have any luck with those two options, you might like to PM me and we'll work something out!

Standard Australian RRP is: $299 (that's what they're charging at Bike Gallery etc).

Hope that helps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ozrider

by Ozrider

@KHD - that is good news. I was resigned to wearing an "illegal" helmet.
If you know of anyone stocking a Large please let me know, as I will buy a second "legal" Prevail for racing and events.

As to the previous posts about the prevail not ventin well, I have been alternating my Prevail and SWorks 2D on the same training route, and can say without doubt that the prevail is cooler and ventilated far better.

It feels much cooler and at the end of a 4pm climb, I am dripping sweat from under my helmet with the 2D. This has not been a scientific test, but the same ride at same time of day and similar temps, repeated over a 3 weeks.

I'm really stoked I will be able to use a Prevail for races now, as being hot decreases performance and sweating under your helmet is no fun
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

SvenNijs

by SvenNijs

Great news. I've been offline for a week during/after moving house. Must contact my LBS, especially if that is the correct price....

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I am a little hesitant to post the helmet test article with the ventilation thermo scans from Roadbike magazine (Germany) on the forum.
I don't see it on the Roadbike website yet either.
Send me a PM if you have questions about it.

khdroberts

by khdroberts

Hi all,

I can confirm that the RRP in Aus is $299 for this helmet and that your local Specialized dealer should be able to sort you out with a helmet - IF you are medium size and if you want white. Other sizes and colours will follow.

Having seen and held one I can tell you they're light, good looking and don't LOOK as if they'd have too many ventilation issues. At $299, that's about $150 cheaper than the top offering from Giro.

I'll buy one, but I still prefer the look and feel of my Kask - I'll buy the Prevail simply because it'll match the S-Works Tarmac SL3 - gotta be matchy-matchy after all! :lol:

Richyo

by Richyo

Saw the Prevail here in Adelaide also for $299 but i could get 10% with member discount. Looks like they only have the White w/ silver graphics in medium also!

Cant believe the S-Works/2D is also $299 when it was $350-450 or something like that a while ago!

haydos

by haydos

The 2D is now meant to be $239AUD off memory with the Prevail at $299AUD

Also the balance of colours / sizes of the Prevail is due into the Specialized warehouse before the 20th of May.
Current Quiver:
Cervelo Aspero, Dura Ace 12
Time RXR, Record 10sp
Colnago C40 Mapei

In the past:
C59 x 2, EPS, Dogma2, Dogma, Caad 12, SuperSix HM, BMC RM01, Focus Izalco, Scott Foil, Cervelo R3SL, BMC SLC01, S-Works Tarmac, TCR

khdroberts

by khdroberts

Yes, that's what I was saying - Specialized tell me that they have white only - ONLY - at present. Expect other colours/sizes by June.

They now apparently have size Large in stock - again: ONLY IN WHITE.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Ordered a black red and white "legal" Prevail for races and sanctioned events. Will use my "illegal" white one for other rides and training.
Now for the wait..........................
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)

djconnel

by djconnel

Plastic straps on my 2D broke at the obvious stress riser between the fat clamp area and the flimsy strap area.... Anyone have similar problems with Prevail?

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Been riding my Prevail for 6 months and had my 2D for 2 years (still use it fir commuting) with no issues

djconnel

by djconnel

Okay -- I just ordered a black Prevail from http://www.primera-sports.com.... I lose the discount I could have gotten from my club shop hoping this way I get a lighter EU version: had I gotten one here it would have been Snell certified, and that adds probably 20 grams.

fletch62

by fletch62

I ended up buying a Prevail and on my first ride had the bike leaned against a wall at the coffee shop.
Come back out and the bike is in a different location. Then notice a rip on the brand new Toupe saddle and scratches on the carbon levers. Some cnut has knocked it over and stood it back up again without telling anyone.
Check the helmet and there are a few scratches on it. Not happy, but what can you do.
Used the helmet for a couple more rides then on Sat. was at the same coffee shop looking the helmet over and discovered this:
I hang the helmet off the hood and when it has fallen the bottom of the drop has smashed the front vent.
Its f@#cked. :evil: Kiss $300 goodbye.
Attachments
IMGP2541.JPG

SQ

by SQ

I want to like this helmet (light, aero, legal in Aus) but does anyone else find that the fit is quite wide?

For me the straps come in at an angle from the helmet to my chin so there is a big gap that glasses would have to go inside of...just can't get used to it after the Ionos where the straps are next to face all the way. Maybe I should wait and see what the Oracle is like when it hits Aus early next year. It's not light but I think it looks good and it's suposed to be aero, esp at yaw (as an aside and as you can tell, I don't undertsand why so much attention and $ is given to aeroness wheels but not road helmets).

Thanks

Simon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

If,as fletch62 says, this helmet can't handle a drop from handlebar height without cracking I'd be mighty concerned about putting it on my head
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde