Carbon Tubular Cross wheelset choice for heavy rider

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

andychasteen

by andychasteen

I'm deciding on a wheelset for this upcoming season. I'm a 210 lb racer. Category 2. Last year I was on 404 cross tubies but those are a thing of the past and I'm looking for a good set for the upcoming season.
Looking for a 50mm carbon tubie that is stiff and durable. I've seen all the wheelset threads, but I can't relate because I'm about 50-70 lbs heavier than most of the posters.

Reynolds?
Easton?
Chinese generic?
HED?

Open to suggestions. Thanks.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Shimano DA 50mm deep.

Otherwise, just build some alloy wheels up at your weight. They won't be that much heavier and will be much more durable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

garth

by garth

Enve 2.45 rims - 28h
Chris King High Flange Cross hubs - 28h
Sapim CX-Ray spokes

I was researching this same question because I am of a similar weight and in talking to numerous experienced wheel builders, each recommended that setup (although one recommended DT aerolites instead).

I guess if you want to go even more robust (and ultimately heavier) you could try the Enve 2.65 rims instead.

andychasteen

by andychasteen

At my weight I'm still pretty gentle on wheels. I had zero problems with my Zipp 404's last year through cross season. Had to tru em up once, but that's it.
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep em coming if you have more.

campyman099

by campyman099

The Zipp 303CX wheelset is super solid. I'm 220 and I raced on them all season. They are still true and no issues to report. Another bonus is the wider rim bed makes a HUGE difference in being able to confidently run low psi without rolling a tire.
Quit whining and go ride your bike!!

fietser

by fietser

I have some DA hubs laced to FIR ST 120 rims 32 front/ 32 rear that i would like to sell since ive switched to campy 11. Great solid cross wheelset just not campy 11 compatible

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

USofChay

by USofChay

garth wrote:Enve 2.45 rims - 28h
Chris King High Flange Cross hubs - 28h
Sapim CX-Ray spokes

I was researching this same question because I am of a similar weight and in talking to numerous experienced wheel builders, each recommended that setup (although one recommended DT aerolites instead).

I guess if you want to go even more robust (and ultimately heavier) you could try the Enve 2.65 rims instead.

I would also recommend looking into 2.45's, but maybe use Alchemy hubs which supposedly build into stupid-stiff wheels b/c of the bracing angles.