Weight Weenies parts for moderate cost

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

styrrell

by styrrell

Hello,
Looking at a new bike build. I've done some searches and looked at the listings, but I'm curious at what the concensus is. What are the best parts, except for frame and fork, that are lightweight but not stratospherically expensive. So basically eliminating AX, Tune, BTP, etc. Willing to look at SRAM RED level pricing, and willing to mix match groups.

As a first pass, looking at

Sram RED RD, FD, Shifters,
Crank (not sure, but may splurge on a Hollowgram SiSL if I can find a used one at a reasonable price)
SP Thomson Masterpiece
Brakes - Not sure the Feather and similar seem cheap and have good reviews
HB / Stem Ritchey looks good, but I'd prefer a silver polished stem, but they seem to be impossible to find in weight weenie models
Pedals Speedplay (my knees like them)\
Seat, Not sure

Wheels I have a bunch, nothing too exotic though

Thanks

Shawn

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aldocg

by aldocg

All kcnc parts (seattpost, stem, bars, crank, skewers)
eBay carbon saddle and 20mm tubulars, bikehubstore super light hubs
Planet x brakes
SRAM red

aldocg

by aldocg

Also, tuned speed plays's alu butterfly and titanium spindles, 140 grams

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

aldocg wrote:Also, tuned speed plays's alu butterfly and titanium spindles, 140 grams

Where would you get that? On a side note, those trimmed down Speedplays Hincapie ran a couple years back, anyone tried to do that with their own pedals?

DMF

by DMF

Ditch the KCNC seatpost and get New Ultimate alu instead, only slightly more expensive but much, much lighter and IMO much nicer finish and attention to detail...

kregg

by kregg

You are looking for a light polished stem? Here is one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Deda-Zero-100-Servi ... 5d2df994e5

I got the black 140mm version of this with Ti bolt kit. It comes in at 130g. Not bad.
Tarmac SL3 S-Works 13.75lbs 6.24kg
Jamis Xenith Pro 16.1lbs 7.31kg

aldocg

by aldocg

DMF wrote:Ditch the KCNC seatpost and get New Ultimate alu instead, only slightly more expensive but much, much lighter and IMO much nicer finish and attention to detail...

It's ~25% more expensive and just ~3-5% lighter.

Where do you get "much, much lighter" from? Is it 90 grams? 85?

A cut KCNC is like 115.

Bender

by Bender

For a seatpost I like my KCNC but I have changed to something with an offset. I found a very long Hylix carbon post on ebay for $60 and trimmed it to about 330mm. In 27.2mm the weight was 172g uncut and 148g cut. Thats not bad at all for a 20mm offset post! If I replace the bolts I should be able to get it under 140g. My KCNC at 330mm is 127g.

For wheels I'm a huge fan of bikehubstore. I went with the 277g hubset, Kinlin XR200 rims and 20/24 DT Revolution spokes. I would have gone Sapim laser but they were not in stock. I chose radial lacing up front, 16 3x and 8 radial on the rear for a total weight of 1253g. Considering price/weight its hard to beat.

aldocg

by aldocg

The kinlins are a good choice but for not much more you can build 1000g 20mm tubs from chinese carbon rims.

dummey

by dummey

aldocg wrote:The kinlins are a good choice but for not much more you can build 1000g 20mm tubs from chinese carbon rims.

Well, the 20mm china carbon rims seem to have not the greatest record. On just this forum, I recall pictures of 3 broken set =(

aldocg

by aldocg

dummey wrote:
aldocg wrote:The kinlins are a good choice but for not much more you can build 1000g 20mm tubs from chinese carbon rims.

Well, the 20mm china carbon rims seem to have not the greatest record. On just this forum, I recall pictures of 3 broken set =(

Hmm, you're probably right. I wonder how heavy they were? I'm below 140 when fit so I doubt I'd break them.

DMF

by DMF

I thought the KCNC post was like 175g, but I see now that was for 400mm where as the NU is only 350mm, so my bad :-)

rigiman

by rigiman

:) I can recomend the Bikehubstore for there hubs. I bought a set & built up a very nice light clincher wheelset, I used Velocity Razor rims, while NOT the lightest, they are at least available on a custom order, I needed a 20/24H combo in Black & a machined brake surface on the front only, only use 1 brake on the raod. I used DB Black SS spokes to keep the Black carbon theme with Black brass nipples, alloy nipples just dont last the distance. Tyres are Schwalbe Ultremo R.1 700x23C with Conti lightweight tubes. These wheels with other mods has allowed my Spec Tarmac to come in at 7.000kgs, now I've just got to spend some more time & $ to get it under that. I did get a set of Ward Ti axles for my pedals, but that will not be enough to get the Tarmac under 7kgs with a water bottle fitted.

I've already spent quite a bit at Toronto cycle getting various Ti & alloy goodies, so getting those extra few grammes of reduction is going to come at a price. The single chainring is already a Carbon Fibre one, but I'm guessing between the new pedal axles & some more mods to the RD that I'll get it under 7kgs with the water bottle................wayne.........

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

You'll find loads of Hollowgram cranksets on ebay. I've seen some of the silver SL models go for ~£180 ($300), the black SI SL tends to go for a bit more.
K2

Do you suffer more when you train, or cannot train?

Leviathan

by Leviathan

aldocg wrote:All kcnc parts (seattpost, stem, bars, crank, skewers)

Planet x brakes
SRAM red

AMen to all that (its what Im running)

Rose.de has an own brand stem which is Im pretty sure a direct copy of the Syntace p6 but cheaper, 100g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com