Baum Corretto - Black & Purple 'Phantom'

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Who are you to comment on my life?!

If you really believe that what I said above translates to "Lightweights are too much wheel for me" then you are very much mistaken - in fact if your love of Lightweight wheels clouds your judgement that badly then you're verging on dillusional. They're far from being "too much wheel" for anyone my friend, I'm just not that keen on them anymore.

Besides, you can never have enough wheels to choose from, and my SRM cranks are earning me a tidy rental income ta very much...
Last edited by RichTheRoadie on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

You run a blog illustrating your ridiculous purchases on a near daily basis, where you also rate other peoples bikes based on looks (because your actual knowledge of their components is limited and based on Internet research and forums not riding).
You post your bike here seeking kudos.

In the past 6 months you have bought $6000, special order custom wheels, tried to sell them once, sent them in for a cosmetic repair once and now you want to sell them again (for a price that is more than most can get a new pair if they hunt).

You criticize how race wheels look, do you also have a problem with how Chopin's music smells, or perhaps the Mona Lisa's canvas is not strong enough to be used as a boat sail- does that diminish it as art?

All of the equipment you have is too much for you, that is why you keep buying and selling parts that you know from hearsay. If you spent as much time riding as you did posting here, reading about the EE crankset you will get, and rating other peoples rides, then
you would make more rational purchasing decisions.

I am sure all of us got into the hobby in the hopes of buying tons of top dollar parts to rent out for income, so congrats on your wise investment in cranksets.

But, please don't ever change! You simply are too amusing, and no matter how silly we get here we can always look to your example as the pinnacle of bike-tartiness.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Anyone else care to comment on that? Not sure I can be arsed...

That is other than to say that my critiques are just for fun (take them seriously if you really feel the need) and that most of my experience of bike components is in fact real-world, personal experience, not internet research.

But you clearly know me better, and know better yourself, so I must be lying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

reggiebaseball wrote:All of the equipment you have is too much for you, that is why you keep buying and selling parts that you know from hearsay. If you spent as much time riding as you did posting here, reading about the EE crankset you will get, and rating other peoples rides, then
you would make more rational purchasing decisions.

Actually, for my sins, I will respond to this bit...

I make my purchasing decisions based on whether or not what I'm buying is a component I want to try. If I try something and it works for me, I keep it. If not, I sell it on. Guess how I make this judgement? That's right, riding.

How do you make your so called 'rational' decisions Reggie? By reading reviews on the internet is my guess, probably followed by convincing yourself how good something is because of the review you read, rather than by direct comparison to an alternative, right?

I prefer to try the components out for myself and cast my own judgements - it is that behaviour that puts me in a position where I can write reviews, give comparisons and offer real world feedback on my blog without fear of offending or upsetting suppliers or sponsors (the two adverts you see on my site are nothing but goodwill gestures, despite the sponsorship offers I regularly receive). I do it this way because I want to, because it's my hobby and because I can.

I can't be very good at it though - I've only done enough to get job offers from it and be propositioned about starting up websites. Damn, useless me... :roll:

dawebbo

by dawebbo

Hear hear!

Reggie looks like you've missed the whole point of Rich's blog. Either that or you're simply jealous and bitter.

I for one enjoy reading his reviews and experiences.

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

I told you, I think he is great.
He is the other side of the coin from the bike snob.
He is the emporer who has no clothes.

I think it is a great asset to the community, just not for the same reasons you do.

Likewise I think this build is fantastic. For every well executed, intelligent understated bike here (like Teds custom steel), there is a monstrous miss mash of whatever was most expensive and had the most Internet chatter that month,
it is that spectrum of diversity that makes life great!

I was merely pointing out (amongst other apparently unsettling truths) that he has made himself a public figure, posted his thoughts for comment, and therefore should not be afraid to receive some , other than the ones lauding his ability to drop coin.

Is it time to change your chain to a newcolor yet? Maybe purple like those cables.

Would you take your medicine better if I populate my post with smiley faces so you stop takng yourself so seriously?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I don't want to rise to the bait, but I just can't help it...!

Given how I came to build this bike do you really believe I'd spec any of it based solely on internet chatter and what was most expensive?

Ask me about any component on the build, or any component I've mentioned trying and I'll justify the reason for it's choice - even the wheels (which, yes, were based on hype and I do regret getting).

I know rising to this is taking myself too seriously, but A LOT of time, effort, energy and thought went into getting this bike to where it is now.

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

It is clear that you are trying VERY hard, as hard as you possibly can.
that is what makes you awesome and genuine, and your efforts and opinions hilarious to no end.

Maybe change your avatar now that you have soured on your custom wheelset.

tharmor

by tharmor

Ladies...you're both pretty. Now can we get back to topic?

Did the Cosmic stickers successfully come off without ruining the fairings?

euan

by euan

my my someone has a bee in the their bonnet.

legsrburnin

by legsrburnin

This really is a beautiful bike! I WILL own a Baum one day.

I love the fact the bike has caused a stir. It means people are taking notice!

Some people on here are forgetting this is a bike lovers website and to some cost is no object. I had a similar opportunity a couple of years ago to build the bike of my dreams with my MTB. I did it and dont regret it for one minute.

With your crank selection, did I read it's BB30? Sorry if I'm wrong. If it is I'd maybe go with some name removed Cannondale Hollowgram cranks. One with an SRM is also easy to find. It would look great on this bike.

Again, amazing bike.

Any reviews on the feel and ride quality?
Lefty heaven

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

legsrburnin wrote:With your crank selection, did I read it's BB30? Sorry if I'm wrong. If it is I'd maybe go with some name removed Cannondale Hollowgram cranks. One with an SRM is also easy to find. It would look great on this bike.

Almost – PressFit30. I almost wish Cannondale had a ‘second brand’ (like Fulcrum is to Campag and Vision is to FSA for example) that they sold their Si SL cranks under because they are ideal. The effort to remove the Cannondale logo and get them re-finished is a step (and expense) too far now, although when I originally built the bike it might have been a good route to take.

Having spoken at length with Craig at EE Cycleworks about cranks, his approach to them and other cranks on the market I’m really keen to take on a set of his EE cranks as soon as they become available.

legsrburnin wrote:Again, amazing bike.

Any reviews on the feel and ride quality?

Thank you. I wrote about the bike a little while back here: http://brainfartsofabiketart.com/2011/06/12/lugs-to-lightweights-episode-22-1200km-on/ – hopefully that’ll answer your questions on the ride?

legsrburnin

by legsrburnin

Thanks Rich-Ti. I'll read your blog.

Although I've admired and followed Baum bikes for a while (since about 2003ish), it was reading about your bike and looking at the amazing pics of it that caused me to actually make the first call to them and start the process of finding the Baum for me.

Love it!
Lefty heaven

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Excellent! I should ask Darren for commission...!

If you're close enough to pay them a visit, even if only to collect your frame, I'd highly recommend it - the guys at Baum are a good crowd and I learnt so much whilst I was there.

Most importantly though, enjoy it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tharmor

by tharmor

I was kinda hoping for an update on the sticker removal on the SLRs.