Look 920 full-suspension

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

djconnel

by djconnel

Eye candy:
Last edited by djconnel on Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

fancy!

what if you dont like the default bar height?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Colin

by Colin

Cheers! wrote:fancy!

what if you dont like the default bar height?

Different stems will be available with different rises.
http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/08/12/new ... l-sort-of/

djconnel

by djconnel

Silly -- I didn't even look at the URL of that photo (the twitter link was encoded) to see that it was from BikeRumor.

I don't trust full suspension designs I've not ridden (I've not ridden many), so my initial preference is with the hard tail:

I'm a bit surprised they don't have a mountain bike version of their Zed crank.

schmiken

by schmiken

Those stems just look wrong.
Apart from that, they look great!

legsrburnin

by legsrburnin

It may be the way of the future in XC and in time I may change my mind, but IMO that is really ugly!
Lefty heaven

shadwell

by shadwell

Thinking about it.. no back of the stem to catch your plums on as you hurdle the bars in another failed techy drop in...

That said bashing that up on the trail would be hard to deal with...

djconnel

by djconnel

I like the stem....it looks "integrated". But ISP on a mountain bike does make me wonder. Seems like you want more adjustability there.

02GF74

by 02GF74

djconnel wrote:I like the stem....it looks "integrated". But ISP on a mountain bike does make me wonder. Seems like you want more adjustability there.

I now the theory - beng able to adjust hte seat height according to terrain e.g. drop it for going down a steep downhill. In all my years of mtb'ing I have never done that and have or in process of replacing the QR seat clamps with non QR seat clamps.

Assuming the ISP is cut to correct length, the only disadvatnage of the ISP is that should you ever try to sell the bike, you can only sell it on to peolpe who are not taller than you.

... and re: the stem - when riding, you problby never turn the stem more than 45 degrees, certainly not more than 90 so the limitation of movement should not be an issue. maybe this is something we will start to see on other bikes.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Well in riding you might never turn the stem very far, but in crashing that stem is going to contact the frame at a high rate of speed and probably there is going to be paint traded or lost on both parts. The ISP will be a pain in the *ss as they are on road bikes. Just one of many issues, a road buddy of mine just went to a big time coach and was given a much different position with a lower seat height. What if he had an ISP and cut it and then couldn't stand the lower position and had to go back? Pretty much all my road buddies hate them and won't buy a bike with one. Cervelo made ISP bikes for a year or two and then quit, saying they were a very bad idea that actually made the bike ride harsher and really didn't save any weight not to mention all the dealer problems caused because a dealer cut one too short for a customer or a customer decided the setting he asked for was not the setting he needed, etc.

To me this bike looks way to over-designed and is not all that aesthetically pleasing. Add in the inappropriate stem and ISP and this is a bike I would not even take as a gift knowing it would be nothing but problems. Not only does the ISP limit resale, but the stem does also, because I don't see how they can come up with an integrated stem that would mimic what some need which is several spacers and the stem in the riser position. Especially on a FS bike many people like a higher bar. Also, every one of those stem sizes will probably set you back $200 and if the bike comes in different colors, they will have to inventory every color of every rise and length, etc. The more I think about this bike, the more I ask the question: do they every ride these things?
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

Colin

by Colin

I think the point of the stem not turning all the way around is so that it won't contact the frame in a crash.

Surely anyone who buys this frame is smart enough to know to get a professional fit BEFORE you cut it! Your already shelling out thousands of dollars for a sick bike, spend the extra 200$ and get a professional fit right after you buy it. Also don't let just any bike shop cut it! make sure you trust them, too many moron's work at bike shops (not all of them of course! but there is a LOT of them!). If you are lucky, the shop you purchase it from will be able to professionally fit you, and if the stem is the wrong size they will swap it for free (or for not very much).

Also, this is a race bike (ie. low positions), not a park cruiser.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Yes but most of the guys that can afford this bike are not that fast and most of the fast guys can't afford this bike.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

jbbikerider

by jbbikerider

I'd take it seriously if it came in a 29er. With baby wheels it looks kinda weird.

02GF74

by 02GF74

yourdaguy wrote:Yes but most of the guys that can afford this bike are not that fast and most of the fast guys can't afford this bike.

..... and the really fast guys don't need to afford it as they'll be given it anyway (sponsored)

Cheers!

by Cheers!

yourdaguy wrote:Yes but most of the guys that can afford this bike are not that fast and most of the fast guys can't afford this bike.

SO TRUE!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com