Fork- Enve 2.0 vs 3t Funda vs Others?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Leviathan

by Leviathan

So Im in the market for a new 1 1/8" untapered fork, 45mm rake, and would like to know which of these two, the Enve 2.0 or the 3t funda team, would be the stiffest? Also, is there another option, preferably cheaper, I havent considered and should?

Background is I snapped the old fork on my Kuota, LBS kindly replaced it for pretty much nothing but the replacement had been cut too short. Instead of buying a new fork I bought a planet X Aluminium team frame inc fork (was cheaper than a new Kuota fork!), but the fork on that is too wobbly for my 90kgs pork!

So which option would you reccomend, Ive tried using the search function but cant find a way of getting it to include the work "fork" in my search

Gracis

Gold Knight

by Gold Knight

i've had several forks so i would rate them as follows:

edge2.0--best weight/stiffness--my #1 pic
woundup--stiffest around (not the prettiest) bomb proof!
thm scalpula sp and tuned version--light and very similar ride as the 3t funda (not as stiff as others above)
easton ec90 slx--not stiff (flimsey)
alpha q sub3--good all around fork but don't like the epoxy involved in the steertube
lookhsc 3,4,5--flimsey
storck stiletto light ums--#3 pic behind woundup and edge2.0

well stiffest would be wound-up for sure and a bit cheaper to boot. last fork you will buy.
edge2.0 is lighter then wound-up and stiff but cost more
:smartass: DO NOT RIDE AN AX-LIGHTNESS FORK :smartass:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I have a Funda Pro on my Cervelo. It's harsh. Straight bladed legs might look good and aero, but the ride quality is poor.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

kgt

by kgt

MattSoutherden wrote:Straight bladed legs might look good and aero, but the ride quality is poor.

That's not true. It depends on the fork.

bigskyTi
in the industry

by bigskyTi

I went from the Easton EC90 SL to an Edge 2.0. I like the Edge much better. can't say anything about the 3T, but the 2.0 is a great for under my 185lbs.

cmdr199212

by cmdr199212

Ritchey WCS UD fork. Its stated weight is lighter than the ENVE, as well as being cheaper. I'm riding one now with my Lynskey, no complaints

djconnel

by djconnel

kgt wrote:
MattSoutherden wrote:Straight bladed legs might look good and aero, but the ride quality is poor.

Raked fork blades definitely help, so that would imply straight forks have inferior ride quality. Or is it incorrect that a curved fork is going to flex more in response to longitudinal impulses?

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Thanks for all the info above. E-`bay's got a slice premium carbon fork for sale. how do those compare to the above? Any good?

djconnel

by djconnel

cmdr199212 wrote:Its stated weight is lighter than the ENVE

What stated weight?

cmdr199212

by cmdr199212

I bought it via the shop I work at, the web distributor had it listed at 298g with an uncut 300mm steer tube, which, if you believe it, is about 50g lighter than the 2.0, and right about the weight of the 1.0

djconnel

by djconnel

Nice! Figure around $260 would save me around 75 grams, plus improve my trail versus stock Fuji fork (under $4/gram).

fa63

by fa63

I just got one of those Ritchey forks for my new build. It should be here tomorrow; I'll get the mass and post it here.

Also, I just remembered that Bike Rumor had weighed one recently:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/07/25/ini ... kpit-fork/

It is slightly over the claimed mass.
Last edited by fa63 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

I picked up an EDGE-branded 1.0 fork from ENVE's website recently for $300USD. 1-1/8", 45mm, 307g uncut. I haven't tried the other forks you listed, so no stiffness comparison.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

djconnel wrote:
kgt wrote:

Raked fork blades definitely help, so that would imply straight forks have inferior ride quality. Or is it incorrect that a curved fork is going to flex more in response to longitudinal impulses?

Sorry. My post should have read. "The straight bladed legs...". So it looked like a sweeping generalisation rather than reference to the Funda.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

Drockspoke

by Drockspoke

When you refer to the stiffness of a fork are you referring to the blades or the steerer?

My current road bike has a Cannondale Ultra fork with an alloy steerer and I am happy enough with its stiffness. My cross bike has a Kona JTS tapered fork with a carbon steerer and I can get more than 5 degrees of twist side to side during a sprint on a trainer.

I am hoping to lose a few hundred grams from my road bike with an Enve fork but not if the steerer tube twists like my Kona does.

Can anyone comment on the stiffness of the steerer tubes of the forks discussed above?

Also, I tried searching the forum but it always excluded the word "fork" as well. I came across this thread through a google search.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com